Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2004, 08:16 AM   #1
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Still working on the Bryan Romance, but meanwhile I need some opinions on two pieces of his starting equipment:

Ring of Invisibility - The Ancient's Ring

This ring was a gift to the gaurd who was spiritually bound to the tomb of his King, in another plane known as Ravenloft. The guard swore an oath to his dying king that he'd guard his tomb until the night his decendant claimed the King's armor and sword. A wizard cast a bonding spell, and three-hundred years later, the decendant came and claimed his heirlooms. With his service done, the Ancient's body dematerialized. The long contact with that spectre has embued this particular ring with the ability to turn a person invisible once a day. The spell is dispelled when the person makes an attack. In it's history, the decendent used the ring to sneak into an encampment and assassinate a local warlord threatening the people. How this ring came to this plane remains a mystery.

Abilities: Casts Invisibility once a day, +1 to armor class (Upgradeable)

Coral Chainmail +2

Much like the suits of Sylvan Chainmail, this Coral Chainmail is made for specifically by the Coral Elves. Bryan recieved this particular suit of armor as payment in exchange for writing a song for a Coral Elf Lord. This armor can only be worn by Bryan, since it was specifically made to fit him.

Equipped Abilities: Can cast Immunity to Missiles once a day, 25% Fire Resistance (Upgradeable)

Anyway I could improve them without over-powering?

Also, for the Upgrades, I know that with the Coral Chainmail +2 (Which I want to appear Blue on Bryan), that will be upgraded in ToB using the Sylvan Chainmail +2. I'm thinking of simply calling it Bryan's Armor +4 (Part Blue, Part Green), with the same Bio for it but an added paragraph. However, what should it do? Sure, it'd have the same abilities it does now, but how much of an increase in those abilities? I'm also thinking of having it cost 20000 gold to upgrade. (I know upgrading the Elven Chain +4 is already a 40000 gold cost) Should I have any other components needed? (Excluding the Bladesinger Chain)

The Ring can be upgraded with a Rogue Stone. Should that be a +2 armor bonus and improve invisibility? Or something else?
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The upgraded items could be something like this:

Ring of Invisibility +2- The Ancient's Ring

Added paragraph description:
After being reforged into its original state of being, The Ancient's Ring can now cast improved invisibility once a day. The descendent escaped from many dangers after completing his dishornable tasks by remaining hidden in the darkness with this ring. The true power of the ring was lost after the royal descendent died, only to be brought back by the gem that identifies a thief.

Equipped Abilities:
+1 AC Bonus

Special Abilities:
Casts Improved Invisibility once/day

needs to be combined with the rogue's stone.

For the upgraded armor, keep the ability to cast immunity to missiles, except have it castable twice a day. Also, pump the fire resistance up to 55% by having to combine the ring of fire resistance as well. I'm aware that 25%+40% is 65%, but I suggest lowering the resistance to 55% since a ring slot has been freed by combining the ring and the armor.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Cool, thanks.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 04-14-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
Ironbar
Manshoon

I like the idea of upgrading with gems but cromwell is greedy so 3 or 5 may be more realistic than just one.
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Yup, we all know how Cromwell likes to pocket leftover components, right, Six?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yup, that Cromwell's a greedy bastard. But in his defense, I'm willing to believe that gems are actually needed in upgrades, even when they aren't a part of the finished item: The fact that Rogue Stones are a "component of the Gemjump spell" speaks to the fact that gems can be used up, perhaps due to some energy that they release upon being destroyed.

But I digress.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerr Conner:
Ring of Invisibility - The Ancient's Ring
Decent story, not overpowered, but why bring Ravenloft in? Faerun is an awfully big place. About the Upgrade, it should require more than a Rogue Stone....make it use a Star Diopside Gem as well/instead, or some other (new) item only found near the Temple of Amaunator under the Temple District, as that would tie in very well with the theme of immortal creatures standing guard for eternity.

Quote:
Coral Chainmail +2
Much like the suits of Sylvan Chainmail, this Coral Chainmail is made for specifically by the Coral Elves. Bryan recieved this particular suit of armor as payment in exchange for writing a song for a Coral Elf Lord.
Some damn Halfling writes a song, and gets a brand-spankin' new suit of Elven Mail, never given to outsiders, tailor-made to fit him? Nope.

Coral is red, the fact that it grants Fire Resistance speaks for its being red, so why do you want it blue?

The Fire Resistance makes sense, but where/why does the Protection from Normal Missiles (which I assume is the spell you mean, not Physical Mirror) come in?

IMHO, the upgraded armor should only offer 45% FR, or at least be a more expensive upgrade.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Well the Elf Lord hired him to write a song, and his payment was nifty new chainmail.

Plus, it only mentions that the Chain is made by the Coral elves, not specifically for [img]tongue.gif[/img]

However I should expand on why the Elf Lord awarded the Armor. Let me think on it. I also don't see it as an impossibility, it's happened before

As for Blue, I was thinking of the Sea when I thought of Coral.

As for the Protection from Missiles, I just thought that could be an added spell, but I can always change it to Physical Mirror.

I might have the ring upgradeable using Cromwell, but the Chain would only be upgradeable in ToB. I just need to think of some lines for who will upgrade it.

Coral Chainmail +2

Much like the suits of Sylvan Chainmail, this Coral Chainmail is made for specifically by the Coral Elves. Bryan recieved this particular suit of armor as payment in exchange for writing a song for a Coral Elf Lord. The Elf Lord had hired Bryan to write a song for his upcoming wedding. During those months, Bryan and the Lord became close friends, and the Lord decided to commision some armor for the Halfling Bard as payment for his song. This armor can only be worn by Bryan, since it was specifically made to fit him.

Equipped Abilities: +2 bonus against Missiles, 25% Fire Resistance (Upgradeable)

[ 04-14-2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Jerr Conner ]