Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I'm currently running a fighter/thief through BG1 with the intention of eventually exporting him to BG2 and ToB. For now tho, I'm having a really tough time with the bandit camp, specifically, the plot tent. I'm getting damaged too quickly by the archer, and the mage is then horroring me, and I get eaten alive. Any advice?

Currently, my stealth is at something stupid like 118%, and I'm wielding the crossbow of speed and Drizzt's +5 scimitar. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:43 PM   #2
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Well some would consider this "super-cheese", but hey, if you're desperate... you're desparate.

If you do not already have this item, go get it.

It's the good ol' "uber-cheesey" Algernon's Cloak. It's great for emergencies!

Just use it to "Charm" one of the baddies in that tent and you troubles should be greatly reduced, as the other enemies should immediately focus on their charmed-comrade. "Hey Bro, I thought we were pals?"

Now doing the above WILL guarantee an easy victory. I promise this.

But, if you're are looking for more respectable tactics, then I would recomend that you immediately take-out that sneeky little mage.

I remember the last time that I did that fight, he (the mage) was the most urgent factor for me, and it would seem that he is even more so in your case since one "Holding-type" spell against you and you're done. Reload!

Also, I think you can find some of those "exploding potions" or "fireball potions" outside around the camp, as those will obviously do some quick "area-damage", effecting more than one baddie.

Also, don't forget that you can leave the tent and come back after you have chugged down a few healing potions. Bottoms up!

As well, leaving after that mage has used some type of "Buffing spell" for him and/or his Croanies, will allow you to wait out the effects.

There's plenty of other tactics you could use, but since you are at the early stages of soloing, you're options are quite limited.

I guess if all else fails, just keep on doing "trial and error".

P.S.- You are using all of your "buffing potions", right? I mean, there really isn't any point in saving them, as you already know that you will find plenty more later on in the game.
Good luck!

[ 06-27-2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV ]
Old 06-28-2003, 01:43 AM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

How many Potions of Invisibility do you have at your disposal? Since you're Solo, it seems that there's nothing for it but to do the old "run-in Stealthed, Backstab, run-out, repeat" over & over. Let the Fighter talk to you and let the Mage turn hostile & cast Mirror Image. Go outside and play with some Bandits, and when the Mage's Mirror Image has expired, it's time to play "Pop Goes the Backstabbing Weasel."

Alternatively, an Oil of Speed is all that's required to beat the tent without killing a single bad guy. [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 11:07 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Not only do I love those "buffer potions" but this is where an Oil of Speed would come in real handy. You could bow and arrow to death that mage before he knew what hit him. Plus that +5 Scimitar would slice and dice in no time. Tell us how you make out!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:31 PM   #5
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Well, I did manage to kill him, thanks for all the replies. What I ended up doing, was to drink a potion of speed, put on the shadow thieves armour and the stealth boots for extra kick, systematically backstab the three fighters to death. Then I just walked in, and let me tell you, Light X-Bow of Speed + Dex of 19 + Oil of Speed is simply nightmarish for mages [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 01:06 AM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Glad to hear it, TM. What I like to do to mages is hit 'em with Arrows of Biting and watch them try and cast a spell. Disrupts them every time.

[ 06-29-2003, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Old 06-30-2003, 04:20 AM   #7
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Glad to hear it, TM. What I like to do to mages is hit 'em with Arrows of Biting and watch them try and cast a spell. Disrupts them every time.
yep - arrows of biting get a bit lost in the noise of a party and the rain of missiles but when you're soloing you really get to see them working
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 04:40 AM   #8
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

I've soloed with a fighter dualled a thief, and managed to whack all of the flesh golems on the coast with arrows of biting off of the sirens. They were the only magic weapons I had at a time, but it was the first solo I'd really got going with so you really do notice their power. Fire a shot, run off, let them take effect and go back for more! Brilliant.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:29 PM   #9
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Lord Brass, I'm curious how you avoided the charming voices of those Sirens especially since you were solo. There are a number of them to handle. So, what is your secret, or does "reload" sound familiar? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-30-2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Old 06-30-2003, 06:59 PM   #10
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Lord Brass, I'm curious how you avoided the charming voices of those Sirens especially since you were solo. There are a number of them to handle. So, what is your secret, or does "reload" sound familiar? [img]smile.gif[/img]
not wishing to spoil so just that its surprisingly do-able, just give it a go and see

in some ways its easier solo

[ 06-30-2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote