Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2001, 07:57 AM   #21
Svenman{GUARD}
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I cant answer the question what would be best for you because different people are good with different things. But I prefer using either a ranger,fighter, or necromancer(or any mage).
Old 11-16-2001, 12:30 PM   #22
Sorcerer Alex

Mages are the strongest in the long run, whichever way you look at it.

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Arledrian ]

Old 11-27-2001, 10:21 AM   #23
Jorgenish
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok so i tried playing a human fighter with the intent of dual-ing to cleric at some late level..the thing is..the dual button is blackened out..is that because of some low stats or whats the matter? it really bugs me
Jorgenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:02 PM   #24
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The answers to questions LIKE this are found in your manual. (I suggest you make very good friends with your manual.) This particular question, however, is NOT dealt with, or at least it isn't in mine. The information you want is behind your Dual-Class button, which, as you say, is blacked out--until you hit Level 2.

The gist of Dual-classing is: Only Humans can Dual. They have to be at least Level 2 to do it. They must have a score of at least 15 in the 'prime requisite' of their 1st class, and at least 17 in the prime requisite of their 2nd. For instance, if you wanted to Dual a Fighter to a Mage, you'd need at least 15 Strength and 17 INT. Once you Dual, your first class will be COMPLETELY UNAVAILABLE to you, until you SURPASS your 1st class's level with your 2nd class. That sentence was very convoluted. Example: You have a 5th-Level Human Cleric with 17 WIS and 18 INT. You Dual to Mage. You will not be able to cast ANY Cleric spells until you reach Level six as a Mage, at which point all your Cleric abilities return. Also, while your Mage is going through Levels 1-5, your hitpoints will remain the same as when you started the Dual; you'll have the hitpoints of a Level 5 Cleric. Once you come out of the Dual and you can be a Cleric again, you will resume gaining hitpoints, at the same rate a regular Mage would.

Some classes CANNOT Dual-class. These are the Paladin and Bard. The Ranger can Dual, but only to a Cleric. The Druid can Dual, but only to a Fighter. Also, there are alignment restrictions: Thieves cannot be Lawful Good, so if you have a Lawful Good Fighter, you will not be allowed to Dual to Thief. And there are stat restrictions as well: Druids must have at least 15 CHA, so if your Fighter has only 13 CHA, he cannot become a Druid.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:25 PM   #25
Sir Michael
Manshoon

It is a matter of personal choice, but druids have always been my favorite characters, in any of these games. They suck in melee combat, but their spells and shapechanging abilities make up for it. They have great curing spells, and some awesome spells, especially at higher levels. I've found that they key to winning a lot of combats is not to be in them at all...or at least get some help. Animal summoning spells are powerful in BG, and, unlike mages in BG2, druids don't have to worry about controlling their summoned elementals. In TOB you can even summon Elemental Princes. Plus druid spells are even cooler in IWD, where druids really shine. Is it wrong to choose a class based not on the items they are going to get, but the abilities they are going to receive? If it is then I am guilty as charged!
\"You see things; and you say \'Why?\' But I dream things that never were; and I say \'Why not?\'\"<br />-George Bernard Shaw<br /><br />\"Men take only their needs into consideration never their abilities.\"<br />-Napoleon Bonaparte
Sir Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 04:06 PM   #26
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I've heard several people say that fighter is bad later on. Well, I haven't played through ToB with one, but I have seen a tank-PC slaughter a lich in under 5 seconds at level 14 or so. Fighter can get to be incredibly powerful, dealing out LOTS of damage...
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 04:32 PM   #27
Jorgenish
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i guess i put my strength (13) or intelligence (3) stats too low to dual class..cause im way past level two..so the only option left is that i simple do not have the stats for chosing any other class to dual into..which is kinda odd having 18 in all other stats..but hey.. that must be why..thanks
Jorgenish is offline   Reply With Quote