Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2002, 10:47 PM   #1
Deathcow
Elminster

I was playing online with a friend earlier today....I saved my character before logging off. Then he asked to borrow 100k gold. I gave it to him and logged off without saving it. When I got on later tonight, I still had all my gold....I know this is easy to explain, but is gold really worth anything online? Theoretically, you could drop all your gold, leave without saving, and rejoin as many times as you want and you could have a fortune in no time at all.

Not that I would do that or anything... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just a random thought. I'd like to hear some comments on this.

[ 07-10-2002, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Deathcow ]
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 10:49 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

really? woohooo!! congrats for finding that out.

how I wish I could do that with my bank account.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 10:56 PM   #3
Deathcow
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
really? woohooo!! congrats for finding that out.

how I wish I could do that with my bank account.
Lol, you're not the only one. You can make an online bank account if you really want to. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Name it Bank Account, your name goes in the Deity box. Accumulate several million gold to give to all your new characters and don't save it after you drop it.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this...its not cheating, is it? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT: Mods...if this is considered cheating, sorry, just let me know and I'll delete it. Or you can delete it yourself and I'll take the hint. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-10-2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Deathcow ]
Old 07-10-2002, 11:12 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

emmm..did you ask your friend whether he got the 100k from you or not?
Old 07-10-2002, 11:19 PM   #5
Deathcow
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
emmm..did you ask your friend whether he got the 100k from you or not?
Yes, he still had it and the items he bought.

I don't see why he would lose it, unless he forgot to save his character. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think this is extremely cheap...you can drop all of your items for someone and leave without saving, and you have just duplicated all of your items for free. And its so easy to do...*sigh*
Old 07-10-2002, 11:26 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

If you really want to get into the commerce side of things and do it in a semi-roleplaying way, here's a semi-cheesy way to do it. Join an internet game where you know the prices of items (magic and otherwise) are relatively cheap (eg. Z's Escape From Undermountain module where the Yawning Inn sells Cure Serious Wounds potions for 16gp vs. 99gp in the Official Campaign ), buy up, then leave that game and join another one where you know the prices are expensive and sell there. After a while you could make a tidy profit from the spread.

But that's not why we're adventurers, right? We make money by killing things. If we wanted to make money by trading we would be merchants, or greengrocers.

[ 07-10-2002, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:26 PM   #7
Recluse
Dungeon Master

It's just as cheap as making a quick mod with a bunch of godly items in the editor and having your character go in the mod and pick them up. I guess the general idea is you really shouldnt cheat, but its always that easy if you fall to the darkside and do. Same thing really.
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:33 PM   #8
Deathcow
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
If you really want to get into the commerce side of things and do it in a semi-roleplaying way, here's a semi-cheesy way to do it. Join an internet game where you know the prices of items (magic and otherwise) are relatively cheap (eg. Z's Escape From Undermountain module where the Yawning Inn sells Cure Serious Wounds potions for 16gp vs. 99gp in the Official Campaign ), buy up, then leave that game and join another one where you know the prices are expensive and sell there. After a while you could make a tidy profit from the spread.

But that's not why we're adventurers, right? We make money by killing things. If we wanted to make money by trading we would be merchants, or greengrocers.
I've heard this before. [img]smile.gif[/img] Evil clerics who only heal people with cash...I don't know how well it would work in this game, though, because gold is pretty easy to come by anyway.

My bank idea was really only for people too lazy to pick up every pile of 4gp they come across...it gets tedious when your third new character has 20 gold and you want to buy a new wardrobe of steel clothes.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:52 AM   #9
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

i am proud to say i went through chap 1 without buying anything and left the chap with nearly 45,000, i know i can do even better and walk away with minimum of 500,000. by the end of chap 3 i will be proud to say i walked away with 1.1 million saved. buy chap 4 i will have walked away with 1.3million all together. for a little adventuring to fill the time i got rich and didnt have to cheat to get it. but yeah money is worthless online.

what you do instead drop your astral sword+2 then rejoin. repeat as necessary. now you got TRADE POWER. then all those whiners you hear online saying "does somebody have an astral blade for trade?" you can say sure what ya got? hell i needed a fire giant belt cause my damn game never gave me one. traded the sword for the belt i long have been waiting for.
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:48 AM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

well, i suppose bioware will soon know about this and will fix this in upcoming patch. so better have all the fun now while it still last.