Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2004, 04:45 AM   #11
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
No ignoring saving throws in my game. Ribald, the Amnish Guard, well, pretty much everyone in the store saved every time I used it on them. One thing I did notice was that the so called "Improved Invisibility" is completely bogus. Real Imp Invisibility gives you a +4 AC and Saving Throws bonus, but this cheap forgery gives neither.

As for recharging items by placing them in a bag, never worked for me either. Tried it with the Ring of Ram and Vhailor's Helm with my cleric once, but no luck. Not gonna complain about bugs I don't have though [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hmm, this is strange. I've not tested it out of the Planar Prison yet, but every creature within this area is charmed without any saving throw. Taking the warden as an example - he has a saving throw vs spells of 1, and the ring works on him every time.

As for the Improved Invisibility not providing the +4 AC bonus - it actually does, but it does not show up within the Record screen - instead it applies a -4 penalty to enemies attack rolls, in the same way that the Girdle of Crushing/Piercing/Slashing works against those weapon types.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:22 AM   #12
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:

As for the Improved Invisibility not providing the +4 AC bonus - it actually does, but it does not show up within the Record screen - instead it applies a -4 penalty to enemies attack rolls, in the same way that the Girdle of Crushing/Piercing/Slashing works against those weapon types.
Well I'll be damned. Never eyed it that closely. It appears that two other spells that I never thought did what they should, Mass Invisibility and Chant, also work in this subtle manner. MI should give +4 AC, but gives a -4 penalty to enemy rolls instead (though the Saves bonus is visible on Records). Chant didn't give enemies a penalty to their attack roll, but it did give me the bonus. Still not too powerful even if it does partially work.

One thing about the girdles though, their bonuses do show up on the Records screen, under "Armor Class Modifiers".

[ 03-07-2004, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 03-07-2004, 06:56 AM   #13
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Ehhm, WAIT A SECOND!! It gives a -4 to enemies attack rolls?! Doesn't that mean that with the baldurdash fixpack the spell now gives you -8 AC?!?!
[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img]

[ 03-07-2004, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: JrKASperov ]
Old 03-07-2004, 07:34 AM   #14
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Ehhm, WAIT A SECOND!! It gives a -4 to enemies attack rolls?! Doesn't that mean that with the baldurdash fixpack the spell now gives you -8 AC?!?!
[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img]
Uh, neither Mass Invisibility nor the Imp Invisibility from the ring gives a visible +4 AC bonus, it's just the penalty to the enemies attack rolls.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:16 AM   #15
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

Nalia only seems to have about an even chance at controlling earth elementals, so Ive used the ring of earth control several times against earth elementals (the things it's meant to work on). To my experience.... it doesn't
Old 03-07-2004, 12:21 PM   #16
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
Uh, neither Mass Invisibility nor the Imp Invisibility from the ring gives a visible +4 AC bonus, it's just the penalty to the enemies attack rolls.
nono, I mean the spell. In baldurdash there is this certain fix, that gives you the visible 4 AC bonus. But, wasn't there already a -4 penalty to enemy attack rolls in the game then?
Old 03-08-2004, 03:33 AM   #17
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
+4 AC and Saving Throws bonus
Quote:
+4 AC bonus ... -4 penalty to enemies attack rolls
Quote:
+4 AC, but gives a -4 penalty to enemy rolls
Quote:
+4 AC bonus
As a point of clarity, +4 would be a penalty of 4, and -4 a bonus of 4. Lower is better in this game, and talking as if it is otherwise can confuse some people (me, for example).

Edit - to fix my spelling of '[/QUOTE]'...

[ 03-08-2004, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 04:23 AM   #18
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Not enough to state whether it is a bonus or penalty then?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #19
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
+4 AC and Saving Throws bonus
Quote:
+4 AC bonus ... -4 penalty to enemies attack rolls
Quote:
+4 AC, but gives a -4 penalty to enemy rolls
Quote:
+4 AC bonus
As a point of clarity, +4 would be a penalty of 4, and -4 a bonus of 4. Lower is better in this game, and talking as if it is otherwise can confuse some people (me, for example).

Edit - to fix my spelling of '[/QUOTE]'...
[/QUOTE]A +4 bonus and a -4 bonus are the same, but this one just just +4, so you'll have to assume that it's a penalty. But then why would enemies get a penalty to their attalk role if your AC has gotten worse?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:38 AM   #20
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

That's all besides the point, which is that IF it's true enemies get -4 to attack rolls whenever you're improved invisible, that means the -4 bonus to AC granted from the Baldurdash fixpack is something that should not be there and now gives you a practical -8 bonus...