Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #21
Arvon
Unicorn

There are several good reasons not to go metric. First metric threads on screws suck. They strip easier and usually take more turns to seat a bold or screw. Metric distances wind up using larger number to describe a location. Actually Nautical miles is a better system. And one final thing...base 10 sucks for computers. Better number systems for computers is binary, octal or hexidecimal. And NONE of them French!!!!!!

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 03-01-2003, 06:17 PM   #22
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
can someone explain why, in the uk which has gone metric, road distances are given in miles, speedometers are im mph, and speed limit signs are in mph?
just curious... [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Because we're not *fully* metric

It's only in the last couple of years that shops have switched to kilos and grams instead of pounds and ounces. We still have miles on roadsigns and car speedos. .... Also beer is still sold in pints, although every other liquid is sold in litres or ml. We'll probably keep pints for beer, and eventually switch to km for distances.
[/QUOTE]Exactly. There is wide belief that the British pint (which is, IIRC, not the same as the pint here in the states) will always be a pint. Some things are sacred. I mean, what you call your glass of beer?

Globalization market forces dictate that it would be cheaper for everyone to be on the same measurement system in the long run. The initial cost in the US, both on the education side and on the re-engineering side would be expensive, but it would be more economical in the long run.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:28 PM   #23
Charlie
Lord Ao

Yes, US and British pints and gallons are different I believe.
I still remember the monetary change over from pounds shillings and old pence to decimilisation here in Britain. The shillings have gone but we still got the pounds (most important) and some new pence. I was too young to understand if it was good or bad.
I guess on the metric side it's best if globally we're all playing on a level pitch.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 03-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #24
Charlie
Lord Ao

A British Pint. A beautiful pint, a pint amongst pints, the pinnacle of pints....my pint.

Problem with metricitry is you don't get a pint. Look boys...is she not irresistable.....ahh the beauty of a non metric pint.

You may think eight pints makes a gallon....it don't. It makes you fall over and slurrp yer worms. So much easier to forget metric with a few pints inside you.

To have a pint = 1 pint = many pints indeed.

[ 03-01-2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 03-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #25
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Didn't the US officially switch to the metric system in the 70's?
Old 03-01-2003, 11:22 PM   #26
wellard
Dracolisk

A repeated question

Are the americans the only country left on this planet still using imperial measures? if someone knows, what do they use in most african or asian countries?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 03-01-2003, 11:53 PM   #27
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
And one final thing...base 10 sucks for computers. Better number systems for computers is binary, octal or hexidecimal.
OK - I started to respond then re-read and noticed your comment was directed only at computers. The "emotion" of your response made it look like you were applying this to all things, wheras evidently and most sensibly you are not.

Ceratinly for science and currency, the decimal system makes much more sense - that is unless you want to reinvent your currecy based on the "Octo-dollar".

And the anti-Gallic flavour with 7 exclamation marks - added nothing to the discussion that I could see and just lacked class.

Still, this is a metric v Imperial discussion (not decimal v binary) - and Wellard, I gave you the name of a country - Surinam
Old 03-02-2003, 12:33 AM   #28
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Check your PMs Davie [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 03-02-2003, 03:52 AM   #29
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Check your PMs Davie [img]smile.gif[/img]
I must have been a good boy in a previous life - SMOOCH [img]smile.gif[/img] - thanks Kung-Fu Gal .
Old 03-02-2003, 06:19 PM   #30
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Yes, the US should change to the metric system because the metric system is so simple. To this day, if you say "acre" I get lost trying to figure out just how much area that covers, but if you say "hectare" I get a much clearer picture. It would also be convenient not to have to carry around conversion factors in my head. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]
Sadly, though, even after years of education in the traditional units of measurement most high-school kids still couldn't tell you how many feet, much less inches, are in a mile.

By the way, six packs of carbonated beverages are now being sold in 500mL bottles instead of 16 fluid ounces. The same is true for bottled water, but milk is still strictly pint, quart, half-gallon, and gallon.

[ 03-02-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.