Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 09:48 AM   #21
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
A group of radio programmers in the us have compiled a list of 150+ songs they deem insensitive due to content. They are banning them from play on their radio stations and suggesting radio stations not play them in light of the recent attacks.
Some of the songs are:
Walk Like An Egytian- The Bangles
EVERY song by Rage Against The Machine (a very political band)
Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm (a michael jackson song)
Any song with lyrics that depict Arabs on airplanes
And many others by groups like U2, The Cure,the Clash, Metallica and many more
The corporate offices of the radio network in question doesnt support the ban, but left the programming decisions to the individual radio stations.

Thoughts, comments from anyone. I agree to being sensitive to the pain that these tragedies have caused, but some of the songs on the list are far from insensitive! This alarms me and reeks of an opportunity to censor artists with a non-conservative point of view expressed by their music. In particular Banning every song by Rage, a group who has spoken out against oppression and injustice.
Hey lets start burning books while we are at it.

It's called common sense!!!!

------------------

[font size="3"][font color="red"]We must NOT tollerate Terroism[/font][/font]
Old 09-19-2001, 09:55 AM   #22
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

That's rediculous!! There are some songs I could understand that would be in poor taste, but most of those were fine. The cure for example has a song called "Killing an Arab" which wouldn't be a good idea to play, but then again, I don't think they have ever been alowed to play it on the air. There is nothing wrong with rage, metallica and the others though.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-19-2001, 10:20 AM   #23
Grojlach
Zartan

Well, it's not an official ban list, if I read this thread correctly; it's merely a suggestion list of songs not to play for a while...
To some point, I understand some of the songs on that list... When I was younger, I was responsible of the music on a lot of parties (all kinds of ages, mind you), and on one of them, when we were playing background music during dinner, we were specifically asked NOT to play Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven, because one of the people there would be reminded of the death of his wife and get depressed again. Of course we honoured that request.
Just saying this that sageridder had a point...
Old 09-19-2001, 10:31 AM   #24
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Hereis a link with a bit more info. Louis Armstrong was got as well .

Also RATM message board was closed last Tuesday by 'secret service' types due to inflamatory posting by some people.

------------------
"The old law about "an eye for an eye" leaves everybody blind."
--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.