Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 08:20 AM   #1
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

I just received an email of a message from one of my 5-rhythms dance teachers, Susannah Darling Khan.

I find it to be full of love, wisdom and common sense, and it is for this reason that I want to share it with all of you.

It is a little long, but I didn't want to edit its integrity!

Dear America, Dear World, Dear Friends,

'I am scared for the world tonight. I am sacred for the world you and I will have to live in, and the world our children will inherit.This is big choice time. The world is on a knife edge, on an absolute fulcrum. The choices we and our leaders make now will impact the future of our children and our children’s children in profound and radical ways we can not even imagine.

The drama of the choice between good and evil, war and peace is being played out on the world stage, and we will all, all over the world live through the consequences. The responsibility President Bush holds right now is awesome, terribly awesome.

I share the anguish, shock, grief, disbelief, and absolute helpless horror of what happened. I do not cry for you and with you because you are American and this happened. I weep and am dumbstruck and aghast with you because you are human and this happened. This is wordlessly terrible. And if I find it easier to feel for and with you than with other suffering people’s of the world, also heart broken and lost through war, torture, terror or natural disaster, it is only a reflection of the poverty of my compassion and humanity.

Recently, until Tuesday that is, America had been standing in international disrepute as an irresponsible, selfish bully ( derailing the Kyoto agreement, preferring its own economic interests to those of creating a sustainable world).

Now it has a breathing space, a reprieve and a moment of the world’s sympathy. That very sympathy asks, pleads and begs America to stand now for the highest good, to do what is best for itself and the world, (which in this case may for once be truly aligned), to find valour and nobility and to be a true leader for the world. There is a chance to redeem the throne of being a true defender of liberty, justice, democracy.

How do you/we say "NO!" to this terrible violation of life? For of course we need to say "NO!"; unequivocally, mightily, absolutely and full heartedly. America will only keep that pan global sympathy and good will if it stays within what all good people everywhere can recognise as justice.

If it is an act of terror to kill civilians, and if we want to show absolutely with all our might that that is wrong, what lesson will killing Afghan civilians teach? Do we stop terror by inflicting terror on a poor and terrified people already horribly terrorised by the Taliban, and who are not even of the same nationality as the prime suspect?

The Koran preaches deep respect for other faiths. Jesus was very clear "love thine enemy as thyself" "turn the other cheek". This is not some hippie space trip, its in black and white in the gospels in every Bible in every church in America and everywhere. So whose god is being invoked?

Lets just be pragmatic. If we attack a country and make a whole nation of people who had nothing to do with this suffer to satisfy our need to respond, the effect will be to increase thousand-fold and world-wide people’s fear, hatred and loathing of America. It will confirm the terrorist’s view of Americans as unremitting bullies, as murderers who dress their murder up as justice whilst condemning other’s murders as evil. It will drive the decent Muslim majorities into the arms of the extremists, whose propoganda will have been confirmed.

The nature of this apparent terrorist organisation is a many headed snake. Even if you found (and wiped out) the majority of its heads, the collateral damage (and consequent bitterness) likely to be caused by thus doing would create many more heads. That way lies ongoing war, violence, and unending escalator of terror. For us all. For the world our children will inherit.

The only way to beat terrorism is to marginalise the extremists by finding common ground with the majority. And that means being an inspiration, that means public relations worldwide, that means listening.

The concomitant aspect of the great economic and military power America has today is huge responsibility. Its not something I envy the president. The anger tides rising in America are natural, human, completely understandable and psychologically necessary for healing. The rage needs letting, our hearts need to burst, to explode, to be heard. America needs therapy, not war. If it chooses retribution, and causes collateral deaths, it is taking itself and the world further on a path of great suffering, which none of us can be immune from. There are other choices.

The talk of an international war against terror is wonderful, building bridges, sharing our common human desire to bring our children up in a peaceful secure world, but it needs to be coupled with a war against the causes of terror, the causes of such hate, undermining the resentments that are the wellsprings of terror. This would be a Damascan revelation, if this could be the way America said "NO!". "NO!" we will not add to the horror and terror in the world. We will not tear another innocent family apart in the name of revenge, "NO!" we will not succumb to the tactics of those who attacked us. We WILL acknowledge our anger, our feeling of powerlessness, our rage, our hatred, our fear, but we will not act from it.

We will root out the causes of terrorism. We will use our power and patience to create a world where things of this nature would be unthinkable anywhere. It means working on behalf of the world, not just one’s own country. It means searching out common ground with people very different from us. It means sacrificing the idea that we in the west are blameless, but taking responsibility for our part in creating a world of such inequality and injustice where such hate can ferment. It means having the courage to love (and not just ourselves). It means forbearance, having the strength to withhold the impulse to strike back causing suffering to those weaker than oneself, and to use the strength one has positively, which is what differentiates the bully
from the strong leader or father.

This would be an America I would be proud to be associated with. This would be valour and courage and an ideal of freedom and liberation for all people’s which would have chance of working and delivering to the Americans the peace and security which right now are a pipe dream. I know its easy to say. I know I haven’t just lost a loved one or stood in the street seeing living people raining from the skies. I know many of you feel similarly. God Bless the world and may the angels whisper in our leader’s ears.'

Sincerely, Susannah Darling Khan, England

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 08:29 AM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Thank you for sharing that.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair. Occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy *

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-18-2001, 08:34 AM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Thank you for sharing that.

Ditto

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-18-2001, 09:05 AM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Can that be sent to President Bush and his advisors? It needs to be.

------------------

Old 09-18-2001, 09:21 AM   #5
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Many of the things said in this forum lately need to be sent to the President. Especially some of the wonderful things Silver Cheetah, herself, has written. This that has been posted here, though, needs to go to. Oh! And some of the things Yorick has posted. Gosh! So many here have posted great thoughts and ideas I can't even remember them all!

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair. Occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy *

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-18-2001, 09:54 AM   #6
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

Good thinking, Batman! I would imagine it has already been sent, but I will check. If not, I'll suggest it.

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 12:12 PM   #7
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Good thinking, Batman! I would imagine it has already been sent, but I will check. If not, I'll suggest it.

Fljotsdale and DragonMage, I've sent it. Thanks for the idea!

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 12:23 PM   #8
Blade
Emerald Dragon

That did need to be sent to the prezident. Keep us informed if you get any word back from him

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 09-18-2001, 02:42 PM   #9
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
That did need to be sent to the prezident. Keep us informed if you get any word back from him

I got the usual auto response. But somebody, somewhere, in the White House, hopefully will read it. I just want it to get out there. There are plenty of hawks, - I'm more in favour of the lion lying down with the lamb. (If you'll excuse that rather mixed bag of images there...... )

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 04:56 PM   #10
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Realistically, I can't see this so-called "Christian" nation turning the other cheek as Jesus said.

Hopefully though the desire for vengeance will be satisfied with minimal trouble to innocents.

After that, perhaps we will have the wisdom to reexamine our foreign policy.