Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
VhaalintheAssassin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Gosh, I loved those games!!! My brother and I bonded (we were such geeks) when we played against each other. I usually picked the purple (evil) side, and he'd get the darn UNICORN on his good side--I'd always forget he had that on his side. Boy, was that thing fast! Well, it shot fast. I know the equivalent, I think anyway, was the lich or dragon? Anybody remember? I also liked the shapeshifter, so I could polymorph into whatever my brother was! hee hee Ah--memories...I was able to find Dungeon Master and get it to work on my PC, but it didn't have any sound. It nonetheless brought back memories! DM was a great game for its time! The scariest part was the 3rd or 4th level, with all the purple worms. Anybody remember?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

I didn't play either but the first RPG I played was the sequel to Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back. I had an Atari ST with few games, and one day my friend bought one too, it was used and had insane amonth off games with it, I found CSB, borrowed it, and it took me about 2 hours just to figure out how to start the game... (no manual you see... [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and then probably a whole day to get started... you began in a big room, with absolutly nothing, and in complete darkness. 7 hours later I had figured out to pick up a torch, some coins and get some equipment from some cells... From then on it was just great fun and I spent many many months playing it... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-14-2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

I owned DM on my Atari ST, (I had the posh 1024 one), and then got it on the PC.

Cool game!
Old 06-18-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I've a deep long-held love of the first two Archon games. I first played it on my ol' Commodore 64 back in about 1986! I can stil hear the short tune that goes with the game inside my head!
Took me some time to master it, but once I understood the importance of the magic squares and some of the counter spells, I was hooked. Have had many classic battles with the AI and also in some duels with my younger brother.
My favourite piece for some reason was the Basilisk as the dark side, for its sheer speed and power of shot. For the light side, the unicorns for the same reason. Imprisoning the opposing wizard/sorceress when they exited their square was always a deviously cool strategy at the end!

To be honest, I never got to play Dungeon Master back in the day. Closest I got was watching a friend play it. However, i did get to play many other first person derived games which were obviously inspired by DM. Bloodwych was one - a really creepy game actually which took me a long time to explore deeply within before my disk decided to die on me! The Eye of the Beholders came a little later, but they always remind me of Dungeon Master also.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:23 AM   #5
Ilythiiri
The Magister

Archon!! one of my favourite childhood games.. My favourite.. the phoenix..
I think there is another later version, call Archon Ultra.. Its the same as the classic one, but with improved graphics.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:36 AM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

I played DM II, Skullkeep. It was quite fun, in fact, incredibly fun.

In fact, for all you reminscers...
http://dmweb.free.fr/DMIIInformation.htm

Probably the most active forum for the DM series.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
I've a deep long-held love of the first two Archon games. I first played it on my ol' Commodore 64 back in about 1986! I can stil hear the short tune that goes with the game inside my head!
Now we're showing our age. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] Yes, I still hear it, too....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote