Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

1rst - I don't usually do much casting of psi spells, using the monks for melee and some healing. This party is all hybrid so I have been developing the monk's magic more. We were filling up on mana in Trynton, casting some spells, when I noticed the Hypnotic Lure can be cast outside a fight! I think I'll set one up just before a battle and see if it helps (I've used it during a fight and it can be great as a diversion, if you can stand the obnoxious sound effect). Too bad it can't be used against Nessie. Seems odd though that they allow this spell to be used anytime.

2nd - We were behind some trynnies who were fighting some plants (caustic vines and crimson poppies). It wasn't much of a fight but we wanted to join in by squeezing past two champions. Well, you may know how it starts REAL slow and then accelerates as you break clear? In this case, we flew up to the trynnies in front of us and bounced off. Right over the rail. Dead party. Not quite what we were expecting.

Feel free to add any other oddities that come to mind...
Old 03-11-2004, 01:19 AM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

yah, bouncing off stuff when you move is a pain.
I've often used Hyp Lure to practise Fire and Psi. You can even use it while moving to distract potential enemies you want to avoid.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:22 AM   #3
ScottG
Drow Warrior

From the Beginner's Reference:

2nd paragrapgh on topic - Further Refinements on Battle Staging:

"Another method to battle staging that is magically produced is utilizing the Hypnotic Lure spell (or the gadgeteer device). With this spell you can typically place your self in a defensible position (best if its one with low visibility like the side of a doorway so you won’t be seen), fire off the spell at a location where it is still difficult to be seen (perhaps the corner of a room) AND is as far away as possible (where it still works but is a good distance away from their original location), and usually just a few opponents (typically from many opponents) will be lured to that spot with less chance of them noticing you. This not only allows you to strike first from a defensible position, but it also give you the opportunity to “not be attacked all at once en’ mass” AND you will be able to “thin the heard” by killing off those who were lured first - allowing you to deal with the others afterwards because of the extra distance they had to span while you were attacking the ones that were lured. (This spell, though far less effective, can also sometimes be used to distract opponents away from battle.)"

like prego pasta sauce.."its in there!"

[ 03-12-2004, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:42 AM   #4
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Can you have multiple ones? Say you got a Bishop, a Monk, and a Gad, you could have 3 Lures going at once?

Edit: Just popped into the game real quick to answer my own question: No. Only one on per party.

[ 03-12-2004, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Scatter ]
Old 03-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #5
Psyborg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've tried using HypLure to lure enemies outside of combat and they weren't affected by it at all...it doesn't seem to change their movement in any way. Can someone elaborate on how to use it to avoid encounters alltogether?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

I think it depends on mob type and whether they resist or not; only some are succeptible. I haven't played around with it much, so i can't get much more specific, only i remember it working on some Juggernauts, maybe half the group stayed while half followed me around a corner before i engaged them.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:56 PM   #7
ScottG
Drow Warrior

even at full strength hyplure doesn't work that well

to get it to work better (in or out of combat):

1.are the opponents resistant to the effect? if so it won't work at all well. If they aren't - they you'll have a much better shot. (resistances work just like any other spell or gadget device.)

2.the closer the lure is to the opponents the better it will work.

3.set it within their horizontal vision. i.e. if its behind them it doesn't work as well. However proximity to the opponent is more important - in fact while in combat I typically use the spell just behind them to get them to turn around facing away from my party.

Its VERY difficult to get it to avoid combat all together and you'll need to cast it a LOT. Essentially you'll cast it near them but away from you, then you'll cast it all over (with the opponent getting progressivly further and further away from you). Eventually you'll move them out of your visual range, to enhance this of course your party can ALL have stealth and or the spell chameleon at high level. Still its VERY tough to do.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote