Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Is there anyway back into Candlekeep other than with Eltan's book?

Bug exploits ok. Cheating Baaaaaad.

[ 06-28-2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Dirty Meg ]
Old 06-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

No, as far as I know, the only way to get back is at the beginning of chapter 6, with Eltan's book. If you try and enter by any other means, you're always refused.

Do you have some bug that's letting you in?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You can get in if you cheat by using the cheats to teleport around a map.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:44 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

There is no reason to go back in. Candlekeep is the tutorial and a ch.6 quest. That's all. If you left something in the library dungeon,, it won't be there now anyway.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:46 AM   #5
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
From a role playing point of view, there is every reason to go back at an earlier time. Its your home town, you were born there - you know many of the people who live there. Friendly faces, safety and familiarity would be a nice comfort to have in such a big nasty world. There's also the possibility of tracking down information about the prophecies of Alaundo in the library. If you use your imagination, I'm sure you can think of other plausible reasons one would want to return there.

I just think of not being able to return to Candlekeep earlier as one of those minor linearity issues that for the game to function, it must impose.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
From a role playing point of view, there is every reason to go back at an earlier time. Its your home town, you were born there - you know many of the people who live there. Friendly faces, safety and familiarity would be a nice comfort to have in such a big nasty world. There's also the possibility of tracking down information about the prophecies of Alaundo in the library. If you use your imagination, I'm sure you can think of other plausible reasons one would want to return there.
Yes,, here I am... all I know is my guardian has been brutally murdered by the Armored One. I myself barely escaped during the melee. I *dare* not return to Candlekeep. The Armored One probably has spies there, and I can't face him this weak! WHY am I being hunted!! What is GOING ON!!!!.....Wait,calm down,,, panic won't help. But where do I go? I guess I'll just make for the Friendly Arm. Gorion mentioned some friends of his that would help if something happened to him. But I don't know the way! I'm 20 years old and have never traveled out of sight of the Keep!
What's that sound?!? Someone is approaching....I heard a twig snap.....whew! It's Imoen!!! I just knew my bratty "sister" would probably try to follow us. She is much more adventurous than me, always sneaking away from the Keep to see *what was out there*.
Yes!! That's It!! Imoen and I will travel together. She's never been as far as the Arm, but she knows the woods better than I. Maybe two can make it!

We travel together. We crest the ridge that, once I go down it, I will be farther than I have ever traveled. I look back... Candlekeep can just barely be seen, a tiny spire in the distance. I can't return, not now,,, t'would be certain death. But I *WILL* return one day. I just feel some part of my destiny lies there. When I find out what my past *really* is..... Yes! I most certainly will be back, but not as a helpless weakling. And then, Armored One,,,,, vengeance will be mine.

I turn to Imoen, and in my "best" squeaky voice, greet her......"HIYA"

CerebroDragon,, is that what you mean by role-playing? LOL

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

BUT... You may not want to go back to Candlekeep, as you had to leave in the first place because of troubles there. From a roleplaying perspective I think you wouldn't want to go back straight after Gorions death. But certainly a bit later on, maybe once you have toured around for a bit.What I find unrealistic if you choose to go back the gatewarden doesn't let you in and you are regarded as a stranger, just some random who has come in out of the forest. Surely they would remember you, unless some guy came in and cast some forgetfulness spell or something.

Hey I know...let's discuss events which could have happened to make everyone "forget" who you are. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
@Elfbane

An amusing anecdote, if only slightly generic and exaggerated. But a decent effort nonetheless. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Some alignment and class background could add some more detail and depth to the decisions the PC is making. How you explain the whiny voice is up to you, but you get the idea.

Other factors may play a role in the decision a character makes of 'where to go next'. Whether that be alignment, class or even ability scores. Consider for instance what influence a low wisdom score may have on such decisions. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'm sure you can come up with other relevant ideas. The important thing is, that its relative to the individual's choices. [img]smile.gif[/img]

@Ross
I agree with you on the amnesia that seems widespread in Candlekeep. Annoying and illogical but just another minor linearity issue really. Some mind altering memory affecting drug was put into Winthrop's Ale mayhaps?
I also used to wonder why another book can't be used to enter earlier instead of waiting for Eltans!

I recognise that the PC may not want to go back as that desire is obviously up to the individual playing, even if the game doesn't allow it.

However, I see leaving Candlekeep with Gorion merely as the lever by which the adventure starts rather than there being anything overly 'troublesome' there to begin with. Also remember, at such an early stage in the game the PC is really still a young 'whelp'.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:52 AM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Hey I know...let's discuss events which could have happened to make everyone "forget" who you are. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well, in your very first day of travel you do come across this....interesting....girdle....
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 AM   #10
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

well thats true, but how many of us actually put this girdle on without finding out is properties first? Personally I prefer the way I am now...