Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 06:50 AM   #1
Jan

Ok mates I need some help here. Would you be so kind? [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

Haven't played for some time now [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] . Haven't had the time [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] .

I need some kind of book in order to get access. What kind of book and where can I find it? Can't remember anything about it.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:23 AM   #2
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

Well it goes like this...(SPOILER)
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
While you are in Bauldurs Gate during one of your discussions with Scar you will be given the option to go see Duke Eltan the Flaming Fist head honcho. He will give you the book that will get you into Candlekeep after you agree to go there on a mission for him.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:33 AM   #3
Jan

No wonder I can't get inside. I'm not that far yet [img]graemlins/1drinkspit.gif[/img] .

Well thanks for the help anyway [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2002, 11:52 AM   #4
Grungi
Banned User

dunno who'd want to get in candlekeep anyway nothing much of interest there, the catacoombs are fun though but candlekeep is boring and full of old boring gits who give very little exp [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 11:56 AM   #5
Grungi
Banned User

oh btw now i stopped being flippant and to clarify properly...

spoiler....

going back to candlekeep is chapter 6 and you will only do that once you fully completed all the quests you want in baldurs gate, cleared out the 7 suns, killed the ogre mage and then cleared out the iron throne, once all of that is done go to talk to eltan but make sure the char who talks to him has a slot free so when he gives you the book its not left on the ground, cos if it is you have to go allllll the way back to pick it up then come back again [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2002, 12:59 PM   #6
Sorcerer Alex

Just an idea I had, but...

if you were to take a tome of strength, dexterity, or whatever with you and offer it to the guy in front of Candlekeep, would you get in? Not that I would, because it would be a terrible waste, but I'm just curious.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:01 PM   #7
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

Actually only the book that Eltan gives you works...I tried to get in with the 5000 GP Logbook of Balduran and no dice they still turned me away.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:20 AM   #8
Grungi
Banned User

its specifically coded to only be that one book and even far more worthwhile books wont get you in, though theres a possiblity of another book in bg that will get you in i think, something to do with the guy you do a quest for in candlekeep then meet later in beregost, but im not 100 percent on this
Old 11-08-2002, 12:06 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

If you're in some tremendous hurry (for instance, you might have screwed up the poison quest), I don't think you even need to do Scar's quests at all, you can just go to the top of the Iron Thone, send your Thief to go grab the documents at the back of the room (killing the acolytes is still a good idea, so you won't have to get past them again in Chapter 7), then zip on over to see Duke Eltan. Ka-pow, you've just cleared Chapter 5 without fighting a single resident of BG City.

Grungi, you should try to have a LOT more than just 1 Inventory slot free when you go to get the Book; when going through Candlekeep, you're going to want to have plenty of room for picking up more loot to carry.

Baggins, that was some damned good thinking with the Logbook of Balduran. Kudos to thee!
Old 11-09-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
Jan

Thanks SixOfSpades!

Naa I won't be in a hurry. Gotta see/explore everything. This is the first time I play BGI. Maybe next time.