Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
Odruith
The Magister

Arrow

Haroom.

I am starting a new game, yet again, to try and finally finish as my evil party,before accepting Renal's quest, I resuced Viconia. I did this also so that Mae'Var asks me to retrieve the Bust of Lathander from the temple.(reputation 8 or lower I think)

Now... He says to do it discretely, ie: keep a low profile.

But Everytime I try, I seem to bugger it up.

During the day time an alarm sounds and everyone attacks. During the night the alarm sounds, everyone attacks.

My question is, is there any other way to get your hands on the statuette of Lathander other than conflict with the temple? I might be an evil party, but my main char, fighter/thief is not a complete and total idiot, so as Mae'Var suggested he does not want to cause too much of a disturbance. Ala eradicating the entire guard and priest staff of Lathander's temple [img]tongue.gif[/img]

So does anyone know another way to do this?

[ 02-07-2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Odruith ]
Odruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The alarm is unavoidable.

The massarce however, is avoidable.

Think like a Thief.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Odruith
The Magister

I have thought like a thief, Dundee [img]smile.gif[/img]

Before entering I buffed up on thief skills, potion of master thievery, had Aerie cast improved Invis on my lead char(fight/thief) and then downed a potion of speed.

Unfortunately the dawn knights can see through the invisibility or a hidden in shadows thief.

So.. my thief like thinking didn't really work in the first place : P
Old 02-07-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

The alarm IS avoidable, so you can do this quest without turning anyone hostile. You'll notice during the day there is a priest in orange and two guards there. The guards don't move so you can't do it during the day. However at night those 2 guards aren't there... Now there's just the priest in orange who'll you'll notice moves about. Simply wait until he is out of sight(under the fog of war) and quickly take the statue form the safe. The alarm shouldn't go off. This works as I just did it myself yesterday without the alarm going off.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:03 AM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
HmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmm.....

I think the alarm might, might, MIGHT be contingent on people being around to hear it and turn hostile... I remember this because I once had a cleric/mage imprison and maze everyone, out of sheer curiosity, before I tried it.

But the moment someone pops into sight, all is lost. So the fog of war tactic might work. Do it quickly.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:19 AM   #6
Odruith
The Magister

Danke, Illumina and Zarr.

I've done it at night before. Though the dawnmaster often doesn't get far enough away. Then my party outside the temple gets ambushed by guards. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'll go for it again soon. Hopefully I'll do better than I usually do. Though I'm not sure whether or not another oil of speed or two might help.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

It is dependent on whether anyone is visible on the screen. Done it plenty of times without the alarm going off, but it takes a LOT of patience. Just sit by the safe with the thief(best if you go in by yourself) and just wait for everyone to move into the fog of war.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Easy. Don't let your party stand out there like idiots while you do your dirty work. Leave them by the district entrance. After all, having them outside means they're in view of guards.

Dawn Knight: Can I... help you..?
Party member: Er, no, I'm just... uh.. waiting, for someone.

You see?

'Course, if you're an evil char, I say slaughter them all. They have some nerve, interfering with your criminal activities! Free EXP, and you suffer no rep loss.

And besides, you might be doing everyone a favor. Dawnmaster Kreel detects as evil... Impostor! Impostor! You'll be helping everyone.

Whichever helps your char sleep at night works, I suppose.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote