Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can explain this 'sneak attack' thing theifs gain upon installing HoW.

I have enabled it in the config, which I assume replaces backstabbing?

ATM my theif has a sneak attack value of -1
And when he attacks from a funny angle, I get:

Lethys- Sneak Attack: Crippling Strike (-1)
Enemy- Takes 9 slashing damage from Lethys (9 damage resisted)

What exactly does this mean, is the value of 1 a multiplier or a raw damage amount?

And, while Im asking...when it says 9 damage done and 9 damage resisted, does that mean no overall damage, or does it mean he tried to do 18 but half was resisted?
(Just something thats always bugged me)
Old 09-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Sneak attack: it does replace backstabbing. You dont have to be hidden or invisiblse, but you must attack from rear or flank. You deal additional +1d6 damage for every 4 levels of thief. It is not doubled with critical hit (base damage is still doubled). I think (not 100% sure) that creatures immune to critical hits are also immune to sneak attack.

Crippling Strike: whenever you successfuly sneak attack you also do crippling strike. It deals penalty to opponent's damage and THACO. The (-1) you see is the current penalty modifier, it improves with levels. This penalty is in addition to the sneak attack damage.

When it says 9 damage hit, 9 resisted, it means total 18 was tried to be made out of which 9 hit and 9 resisted.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Thanks ZFR