Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You can't. You either take the pain, or avoid stepping on it.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:09 AM   #12
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by RoobokWebak:
how do you disarm traps with a fighter/mage/cleric? i thought you can only see them with detect traps and only disarm with a theif
Magic Mirror usually lets you disable the trap and avoid the pain most of the time. All you need to do is be brave enough to set it off.

[ 07-08-2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #13
Aerich
Lord Ao

Mirror Image will protect you against the traps, but the ones on Dragon's Eye lvl 5 do not go away after you've set them off. It's a pain, but it might be worthwhile to track and memorize where those traps are so you can avoid them.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
Midget Gems

Too true, when I went through there with my low level party I did not have the skill to find and disarm the traps, so I had to resort to trial and error and a good memory. So good luck, you'll need it.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:04 AM   #15
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

precisely why a thief (single or dual) is essential!
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #16
Aerich
Lord Ao

Never, ever take a single classed thief. Yes the skills are necessary in DE, but a single classed thief cannot cast spells and is terrible in combat. A multi or dual classed thief will be good enough to handle the traps in DE and everywhere else, and will have enough other abilities that it won't feel like a waste of a character slot.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #17
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well im back, and yxnomie is dead, the battle was glorious and i am far too pleased with myself. ill give it a quick run through.
The level on a whole was ok (annoying because i had to run back and forth to sleep) but eventually i got to the queen herself.
Taking moonblades advice i cast web and grease behind to throw off the onnoying casters behind.
with my 6 skeles i was buffered and ready to go, the firt line of thought was the two mages behind yxunomei, my skeles had the honor of annoying them and stopping their irritating castings of dispel.
the next step - kill the queen - she soon summons a bunch of skeles and becomes quite annoying so i just attacked the hell out of her and she goes down pretty fast. (just before this i may have cast symbol of hopelessness and frozen a few opponents - i cant remember but that is a great spell)
anyway by this time the two mages behind you have buffed up and are through the web and grease ready to annoy, so for a taste of their own medicine i cast dispell and attack the hell out of them with what skeles i can spare and myself.
All mages gone, the hard bit begins, there are still a lot of yuan ti and my buffers are running out. after a few are down my haste has run out and i am next to useless because of the fatigue, on goes santuary, then a couple of bless spells, a haste (which removes the santuary) and im away.
At this point i had utilised almost all of my spells on the remain yuan ti - greater command is great, they just fall about you, confusion, symbol of hopelesness, and the fantastic chromatic orb to freeze the ones that move.
i cut down the remainder and one remains, my haste has run out and the yuan ti breaks from my spell and we fight it out, i eventually have to run and cast offensive magic (of which i have little) and he falls on my final attack.

VICTORY - now i just have to find a way to open all these trapped, locked crates without a thief - where did i put that knock spell?

on a further note - i have survived ok without a theif by forcing locks but i do not know what attribute makes you more likely to open them in this way ad am now having trouble. Also i dont think i can learn knock anyway - but you cant have everything and without the fighter in me, id be screwed, without the mage - no haste or stoneskin when it comes, and without the cleric no early skeles and no great spells. so no space for a theif in a solo game like this.

l8r rob
RoobokWebak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #18
ister
Drow Warrior

Use draw upon holy might to increase your strength. Should help you force a few more locks. But you're really going to want to have knock aren't you?
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:28 AM   #19
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yes, you will want Knock - iirc, the locked chests in DE are annoyingly hard to open. Str is the attribute that allows you to bash locked containers and doors.

A tip for using DUHM - it increases the current Str of your character - so take a giant strength potion before casting and your Str score will be correspondingly higher (unless you can get up to 25 Str without it).
Old 07-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #20
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well i used champions strength as DUHM did seem to raise my strength above 20 - even tho im lvl 15 cleric and have a base str of 18/76 - although i would like omeone to explain what the /76 part means and why it only occur at strengths of 18.
i got all the chests in DE open now and am off to the hand, this place should not be too hard with all my mental magics and the hordes of humanoids to brainwash charm etc, although fights upon entry of a room are harder because i have no time to summon skeles and there are quite a few here.

l8r rob
RoobokWebak is offline   Reply With Quote