Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2001, 08:34 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Ha anyone seen this movie? can you say LAME. It was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. no character developement. not that spectacular special effects. the only semi-cool thing was the city backgrounds that they used. Overall I give the movie 2 big thumbs down. I know alot of people play the game, and I for one do, but I was really disappointed by this movie
Old 11-26-2001, 08:42 PM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

It was disappointing but did have good points. Hopefully, it opened a door which will allow for decent D&D movies.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:42 PM   #3
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

As were a great many of us. The Elves were terrible. As was most of the acting. Jeremy Irons was sooo over-the-top he should have been chained and given rabies shots. I thought he was going to start chewing the set props and scenery.

Since movie studios have never really taken fantasy seriously I can only hope that the "Fellowship of the Ring" changes things. But it has to sell big for them to notice.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:09 PM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

I thought it was okay. THe cities were good, the evil barbarian guy was cool, but why put a mindflayer in his skull to make him not fail... The dragon fighting was good, and thats really it. But why did Snails have to die? He made the movie very good.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:02 PM   #5
Encard
Quintesson

The D&D movie was HORRIBLE, I'd say. First of all, they showed something like 2 monsters, only one of which actually did anything. Actually, you might count the thing in the what's-his'name evil warrior-type's head as another one, but I'm not even sure what it was (I don't think it was a mind flayer, personally). Also, the two Staves of Dragon Control, or whatever they were, I think, WAY too powerful and really shouldn't have been used... but then, they gave the movie probably the only thing of remotely decent quality in it, which was the crazed dragon combat thing near the end. Also, they managed to skip over various parts of the plot, such as exactly how the people got themselves committed to doing all the various stuff after going through the magical map near the begining of the movie, just why the main character type person got a fancy lightning-sword thingy from the elves (yes, I can guess why, but they might have put in a bit more about it, or at least a slightly larger part for the elves, or something[!!!]), and how he managed to defeat both the crazed Evil Warrior O' Death guy in 1 on 1 combat, considering that's he's thief AND got horribly beaten the first time they fought, and why exactly the super-powerful Staff of Dragon Control thing got smashed by the main characters fancy magical sword quite so easily and didn't even explode or anything. I mean, I remember that the skeleton-type person who created the Staff of red Dragon Control think said that he'd been punished by the gods for making the Staff by being forced to sit there and guard it (or something like that, I saw this movie a while ago, when it was first in theatres...) but why the gods didn't just destroy the staff if they hated it so much. Oh, and why didn't they resurrect Snails? He didn't look like he'd been killed too horribly, just a stab wound or something and a probably a broken spine... *sigh* I just hate that stupid movie so much...
Old 11-26-2001, 11:23 PM   #6
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Horrible, aboustely horrible.

I hated it, it insults DnD.

I, for one, was glad the Snails character died, why did they get marlin wayans to play it anyway? There was sooo many better people.

The should have made the Beholder cooler, he should have actually DONE somthing, and from what I rember the "elfs" didnt look much like Elfs, they wear too short.
Not enough commentment to the moive, or storyline if we want to be specif.

There could have been soo many improvements, like adding cooler characters for one. I mean 2 theifs and a mage, come on. There was that one girl, I think she was supouse to be a ranger or somthing.

But where wear the Paladins? Where was the buff fighter? Where was the mage? A mage worth having.

It roayaly sucked, IMHO.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:08 AM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

And that was the most pathetic excuse for a dwarf I've ever seen. All he did was get food in his beard and insult the elf.

I didn't think the movie TOTALLY sucked, but it was pretty close. I don't mind a thief as a main character (although it was a bit odd), but there was SOOOOO much in the movie that would NEVER happen in an actual PnP game.

First, how in the Nine Hells do 2 low-level thieves break into the School of Magic without getting blasted to smithereens?

Second, our heroes were watched and followed every step of the way when entering the Thieve's Guild, but the Evil fighter and his minions waltz right in without so much as a "Mother May I". (however, I DID like the Guildmaster and his maze. Why risk your own neck for a prize when you can have ignorant adventurers do it for you. That was very well done, IMHO).

Finally, my biggest gripe was the "DUNGEON" where Justin Whaley goes after the Staff of Red Dragon Control. When the Wall of Force drops behind him and cuts off the rest of the party, they just say "OK man, you're on your own. We'll wait here for you". If I EVER had a party do that to a thief of mine, I would be racking up on some assassination experience once I got out of the dungeon on my own. NO self-respecting party would send a thief into the main portion of the dungeon ALONE unless they had tried everything at thier disposal to rejoin the thief and the DM basically said "No Dice".

Batman was able to change the way Hollywood does comic-book movies (even the Superman series were nothing more than live-action cartoons). Now we have Spiderman coming out in May with what appears to be some ultra-cool special effects.

Hopefully, Frodo and company can do the same for fantasy films.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:54 AM   #8
huma
The Magister

Can you say "lord of the rings" this movie looks unbeleivable.I hope It,s not as dissapointing.I know there is more to movies than special effects,but some of monsters in lord of the rings look fantastic.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:59 AM   #9
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
It was disappointing but did have good points. Hopefully, it opened a door which will allow for decent D&D movies.

More likely it closed more doors then were opened.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 11-27-2001, 04:10 AM   #10
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i woulda made it rated R, and been bloody, and graphic. it would have to have about three sequals just to finish. it would have Drizzt, his posse, Artemis-Entreri, Jarlaxle, and some group of about four character, all based around the basic classes. a fighter, thief, cleric, and wizard, or any kit, multi, or dual-class of either. of course, that is just me. the damn movie from what i've heard, was geared toward the younger crowd. im not even going to degrade myself, and put myself through the torment of another HORRIBLE movie. of course, there is allways Willow. i LOVE that movie. Mad Martigan is the shit, definately Val Kilmers best movie, lol.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century