Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 04:34 AM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

now I have a problem here
remember the duergar's group at the first level?

I have 3 burning hands, 3 spook, 3 orb, 3 magic missle
1 skull trap, 1 slow
3 stone skin
1 flame arrow (scroll)
1 lichor drain (scroll)

I dont want to rest, I want to beat them with current spellls, without pause... how? I tried the following strategy

go in with stoneskin
then horror in the middle of enemy group
another stone skin

then skull trap

this plan is supposed to work if I am not on insane difficulty. I have 32 HP, so you know I die pretty fast... no time for potions

I want to beat the group, not one at a time. so any suggestions?
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:32 AM   #2
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

take em out with fireballs and magic missiles (there is a fireball scroll in the portal room). dont bother with melee fighting or stoneskin - pretty useless.
Fear may work, though.
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:35 AM   #3
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Horror will work, but I just have Imoen cast Cloudkill. Works like a charm.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:47 AM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

guys, I am soloing
Old 12-03-2001, 09:07 AM   #5
Ares

Your strategy sounds simple enough, but maybe thats the problem.

Dont try to melee the group, and remember, about 3 of them have crossbows or something like that. Cast horror, the cast MM on the leader (Lychis?) take him out, then the mage, then the ranged wussies (i HATE bows and their ilk). Skull trap might take out the mage and maybe really hurt the leader. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Your going to have to pause, otherwise this battle cant be won.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:09 AM   #6
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Stand just out of sight of the first two and hit them with the slow spell. Then charge into the room, and fire your skull trap at the mage in the middle. I believe there is a mage and a cleric standing near each other. That should pretty much take two or three out right away. As soon as the skull trap goes off, run back up to the left. This will draw the two by the door with you. Seeing as they should be slowed by now. Hit one of them with a spook, hopefully he's walking around scared now. Hit the other with a flame arrow and magic missile. This should take him out. Take advantage of the slow spooked one and bash away with your melee weapon or burning hands. Use Magic Missiles, Burning hands and chromatic orbs on any survivors. Might work.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:20 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

hehe, nope, do you guys play sorc?
Old 12-03-2001, 12:27 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Mitro is soloing a Sorcerer as well, but it is not possible to cast Skull Trap and Slow together, seeing as how you only have one cast left for level 3 spells.

What Bhaalspawn powers do you have besides Horror?
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:30 PM   #9
Kaleban
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by 250:
now I have a problem here
remember the duergar's group at the first level?

I have 3 burning hands, 3 spook, 3 orb, 3 magic missle
1 skull trap, 1 slow
3 stone skin
1 flame arrow (scroll)
1 lichor drain (scroll)

I dont want to rest, I want to beat them with current spellls, without pause... how? I tried the following strategy

go in with stoneskin
then horror in the middle of enemy group
another stone skin

then skull trap

this plan is supposed to work if I am not on insane difficulty. I have 32 HP, so you know I die pretty fast... no time for potions

I want to beat the group, not one at a time. so any suggestions?

Well, you don't mention yourself being a sorc anywhere in there, and its conceivable that you got lucky on scrolls.

Regardless, you need to look at what you've got. Flame Arrow is useless, as it will only hit one guy. I have no idea what "lichor drain" is, but I'm assuming Larloch's Minor Drain, also useless in this fight.

I would say, cast a Stoneskin (always have this on as a solo sorc), wait 5 seconds (so your next round comes up, and move so that Ilyich engages in dialogue. Then cast a Slow at where he was initially standing. This should hit every Duergar. Spook the spellcasters (2 of em) and Orb Ilyich (he's the most dangerous).

I would suggest myself to restart and pick Spider Spawn instead of Stoneskin for your first 4th level slot, to give yourslef some beefy allies. Also, it cannot hurt to rest up before Duergar battles, a solo Sorc on Insane at this "young age" should be easy to kill by a pack of Duergar. You don't have Wish yet, so suck it up and take a nap.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:32 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

no nap, me almost beat them