Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2003, 02:17 PM   #1
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

OK, so that my girl and i could play i put nwn on her comp and updated it to the 1.30 patch. Tried to connect to a module that i play on, and got the infamous missing required expansion message. I thought that installing the patch made the game compatible. but evidently not. Posted at Bioware, but may not get any answers there soon. Any body got a clue as to what compatibility means in Biowarenese?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
StigTC

It means that a SoU player can play a module that is not flagged as being a Sou module.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
StigTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Sou is compatible with NWN 1.30. NWN 1.30 is not compatible with SOU. In other words you get backwards compatiblity with SOU, but not forward compatibility with 1.30. You need SOU to play on SOU modules. With SOU you can play NWN 1.30 modules.

Helpful?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:50 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Light Bulb

helpful, but doesn't make me feel any better, lol. Just wanted to hook it up so we could play together, and she'd quit complaining. Oh well, back to the gaming store. Thanks
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:34 AM   #5
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

A quick question on this topic:

If I buy the original NWN AND SOU at the same time (next month), what version of NWN will I be buying and will it be automatically compatible with SOU? Or will I need a patch.

And when the second xp comes out, there'll be a new patch, right? (Isn't there always?) But would a patch downloaded now interfere with a later patch for online modules?

And...um...does that last question make sense?
Old 08-02-2003, 02:46 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Mopery:
A quick question on this topic:

If I buy the original NWN AND SOU at the same time (next month), what version of NWN will I be buying and will it be automatically compatible with SOU? Or will I need a patch.

And when the second xp comes out, there'll be a new patch, right? (Isn't there always?) But would a patch downloaded now interfere with a later patch for online modules?

And...um...does that last question make sense?
You'll be buying vanilla NWN and it will be perfectly compatible with SOU. Installing SOU will bring you up to patch 1.30SOU. So you wont need to patch NWN before installing SOU and you wont need to patch after installing NWN and SOU unless 1.31 or later version have been released before you buy the game.

BIOWARE has released like 12 patches since the game came out, they are constantly improving the game and adding stuff. Patch 1.31 is in currently in BETA and will probably go official sooner than later.

A patch downloaded now won't interfere with online play later as long as both you and the server you play on have the same version. So if a new patch comes out and a server updates to that patch, you will have to update as well to play on that server.

Sound good?

edit for more info.
BTW I noticed your laptop thread in GD, Check NWN mininmum specs before you buy a laptop. NWN has fairly steep 3d requirements so you'll need a good videocard and plenty of RAM if your going to play it on your new machine.

[ 08-02-2003, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 08-02-2003, 02:58 AM   #7
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah, NWN and a few other rpgs coming out are (kind of sadly) a major reason for my getting a new computer. Not the only ones, mind, but major. So I'm definitely planning to get a machine with some decent specs. Wish I could afford one of those flashy Alienware things (or knew enough to put one together myself)

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:24 PM   #8
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

You might want to check www.pricewatch.com. For systems already built look in the top left corner. Not many people build their own laptops though. If you are building a desktop computer there really is not much to it. If you feel you are up to the task there are plenty of people on this board that will help you. Also your local bookstore would have a few books on the subject. The one down side I would say is that I have noticed over the past little bit building you own PC does not save as much money for you as it use to. I used to get the best parts and save a ton. Now some of the X brands systems are dirt cheap and have pretty good hardware that comes with them. I went into Walmart the other day and was scared at the cheap computer systems they had there. If you need any help though I would be glad to.

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote