Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2002, 09:55 PM   #61
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
[QB]Very interesting perspective JeffiOHHH!
Thank you. I try to be insightful when I can.
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:00 PM   #62
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yeah Cocoa Butter is basically like smearing melted butter or margarine over your skin LOL. I had a similar outbreak as you when I was 14 as well LOL, it was Christmas Eve and I was 14, I wanted to sleep as comfortable as possible and so decided to slop on Baby Oil on my legs. Went to bed and my legs started itching like it was no tomorrow, and I got up and they were all red, sheesh it was like getting Poison Ivy! Took forever to wash it off (apparently only copious amounts of very hot water and soap takes the stuff off) [img]tongue.gif[/img] I also can't use Ivory Soap, used it on my face once, and it turned beet red and was so unbelievably TIGHT and dry it was horrible! I swear I don't even touch soap on my face now, when I shower I just rub my hands under the water on my face, use Noxema Skin Cleanser or lotion and a tissue to take makeup and dirt off.

Oh, and I know those kinda groceries, where there are few brand names and hardly no shampoos or lotions or cosmetics at all, but you can buy as many Apples as your heart desires! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Usually there is some big huge cured ham hanging from the ceiling on a chain somewhere too, stinking like so much pig funk... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-09-2002, 10:09 PM   #63
Moni

LOL They are not quite that rural! (that'd be the Meats & Feeds store in the next town lol). Its a big name grocery store, Texas' own H.E.B., the state monopoly on grocery stores and they stock their cheap arse brand name products in replacement of the brand names for most everything. I swear I am suffering from malnutrition since I have spent the last three years having to shop there. I won't just buy crap 'cause its all they have, I'd rather starve (obviously lol) Darn I miss good deli meat and medium cheddar cheese LOL.
You know, that could also have a hand in the break outs I have been having. Hmmm

Yikes! That baby oil incident sounds like it was as painful as the cocoa butter soap I showered with!
I think I'll take a shot at using actual face cleansers as opposed to soap and see what happens....KHaN actually noticed the "living entity" on the side of my chin tonight LOL.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:29 PM   #64
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yeah you gotta watch those low-budget food stores. Where I grew up we had "country stores," which were like 7-11 sized but had freezers with meat, sodas and beer, and yes, LOL, stinking huge cured hams hanging about on chains from the ceiling, bread, milk, cigs, just about everything in one little store. You had to drive forty-faaav minutes to get to "town" where there was a "real" grocery store, and even a little mall! yeee hawww! (I grew up in the sticks if you haven't figured that out already). Kinda miss it though now that I live in this shitty city, I hate this place, but that's another topic LOL [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ever tried a facial mask? I think those things are so bogus, never have I had one do anything but make me look like an idiot and make me clean it off for 20 minutes. I remember once I ordered this "Eucalyptus Pak" LOL from Avon, it had a facial mask and this Eucalyptus (Sp?) shampoo. Well. Did nothing but make my face feel green and cold, and I swear LOL, my scalp was FREEZING for like 3 hours! Sucked! (yes, the extra "S" stands for sucker!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-09-2002, 10:44 PM   #65
Moni

I grew up in the Ohio sticks lol so I know exactly what you are talking about. [img]smile.gif[/img]
The town ah greew up ian had two normal grocery stores but the town mah mom moved us to when I was 12 had a (I kid you not) "General Store"...wooden floors, maybe two rows of canned and boxed goods, a bread rack, a candy rack with chips, sodas stacked in wooden crates and a deli case with hanging meats behind it LOL. The only thing I liked about that place was that it was right across from the High School and cigarettes were 75 cents a pack, saving me a quarter to buy my candy bar lunch lol. I swear I always expected to see rats on the shelves lol.

My mom worked at an Avon packaging plant for many years...I've seen their Skin So Soft products take rust out of her bathtub so I don't use anything they make. I do use masks every now and then. If I don't make my own with oatmeal and honey, I'll use Aveeno (?) its green and peels off like a nice cooled off creepy crawler LOL. I like the home-made stuff though because I know what's in it and washing it off, the oatmeal gives your skin and extra bit of scrubbing lol. I'll do that maybe once a month or once every other month...someties I just forget [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2002, 01:35 AM   #66
Pangur Ban

Make up for men? I think that manufacturures are trying to sneak it in by default. Allow me to quote from my can of shaving gel ...

"Moisturises, soothes, and protects sensitive skin"
"Chamomile & vitamin enriched"
"Advanced face care"
"Fragrance neutral"

I wonder if this sort of babble is designed to make men feel inadequate if they don't have "advanced face care" !! Yes, all men *must* have advanced face care this year ... sigh.

The only reason I use this brand is for reason 4. Most shaving foams/gels smell like peppermint scented industrial varnish ( at best ).

I just read the list of ingredients ...

Aqua, TEA-Palmitate, Oleth-20, Isopentane, Paraffinum, Cocamide DEA, Tocopheyl Acetate, Gossyplum, Bisoblol, Chamomilla Recutita, Glycine Soja, Hydroxethylcellusose, Palysobutane, PEG-14 M, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT, Parfum.

I can guess what some of this stuff is, but the rest of it sounds like it might make napalm or plastic explosive ( or maybe it is industrial varnish, after all? ) Maybe I'd be better off with plain soap and water!!

As for other make up? No, thank you !!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:59 AM   #67
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
or knee high leather boots
Oh behave darling [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2002, 06:06 AM   #68
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL Pangur! I often amuse myself reading the ingredients of shampoo and stuff like that when I'm in the shower. Found out that expensive products have almost exactly the same ingredients as cheap ones
And I just checked my boyfriend's shaving gel, you were right!
Roughly translated I quote: "cool wave - for sensitive skin, hydro-balanced" "extra rich shaving cream containing aloe vera and moisturising ingredients for exceptionally smooth and pleasant shaving. Provides extra protection for sensitive skin"
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2002, 06:24 AM   #69
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

If you can 'enhance' your appearance in such a way that pleases you then by all means. I use hair-fudge all the time, it makes me look incredibly sexy [img]tongue.gif[/img] . It boils down to how you feel you want to look, some people might find you attractive, some won't, it's inescapable really. You can't please everyone. Personally I think make-up looks nice on some girls, on others it doesn't (and it certainly doesn't TASTE good that's for sure [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] ). It really boils down to how you hold yourself. For me, girls who have the stereotype 'perfect' body but walk around with a sour, arrogant demeaner are incredibly unattractive, yet those who are possessed of the bodies of us mere mortals but who are cheerful, happy and easy-going attract me like a fridge to a magnet (an unexplainably handsome fridge mind you ).
Relax baby, you're beautiful just the way you are
Old 09-10-2002, 08:17 AM   #70
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I went through a makeup craze a few months back and splurged a lot on it (I won't reveal the amounts involved [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) All I can say is that the mascaras and liners were pretty much wasted, cos I ended up looking like a panda each time I tried (smudges all over the face except the eyes [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

But to answer the question, over here in Singapore, anything goes. Natural is fine if you've great skin to begin with, but chances are (and quite ironically), those with blemishes would try to cover up with concealer and foundation (and yes, they do risk worsening their skin conditions). Power dressing is important if you want to have a polished look that commands trust and respect. Other than that, no one really bothers about the way you look (since everyone assumes you're happy with your own appearance).

Just a side comment - In my own experience, DON'T bother about foundation or even tinted moisturiser if you're having a cold. All of the stuff gets wiped off when you're sniffling into the tissue.... EEEWWWW! [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]