Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

I completed Icewind Dale the first time with some difficulty (It was my first D&D game so I was not fully aware of the rules or the most effective party). Since then I have completed BG1 and have just started NWNs. I've almost completed Icewind Dale for the second time with much more ease.
When I complete this game, I would like to take a challenge and go it solo. But first I'd love to hear your views on what sort of character I will need to get through this and will I need to download the xp cap remover?
Cheers
Blunderbuss

[ 10-18-2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Blunderbuss ]
Blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Do you have HoW installed? If so than is no need for an xp cap remover as level 30 is quite high.

For soloing I recommend at least going with a multi or dual class character.

My personal favorite for a solo game is:

Fighter/Mage/Cleric

All the spells and protections you need, and is quite good at tanking as well. Plus you can find, and remove traps (you figure that out), and unlock chests. Who needs a thief.

My second class to recommend is

Fighter/Mage/Thief

Weaker than the former due to the fact you can't turn undead, and soloing the cleric Turn Undead ability is quite useful. The other downside is no cleric spells so you will need to rely on potions much more.

Edit: Third recommend class thanks to galdur for this one.
Cleric/Ranger
Lacking Theif spells, and mage power but not bad as you get some druid spells like entangle early on, a decent fighter for tanking, and summons to help later, and you have the turn undead ability.

If you wanted to solo with a single character than druid, paladin, cleric, bard are likely good choices. With the bard you will have to rely on summons, buff, and play for them. A bard is a good choice for a solo.

Druid, and Cleric will also rely heavily on summons but also participate in the battle at times.

Paladin is possibly the only fighter type I would recommend, mainly because of his turn undead ability. Which should become fairly powerful it will be the most difficult as you can't rely on summons.

Not sure if I would recommend anything else as you would be lacking help, I guess a Fighter/Thief combo could be made to work using the thief's ability to hide and backstab. Lacks magic though, and like the paladin will be a difficult journey.

[ 10-18-2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

I haven't got HoW as I can only find it to be purchased with the original game though I may get it soon. Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure it'll prove invaluable, but as I haven't got HoW, should I download the xp cap remover?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

IWD is mostly about fighting and healing, so any warrior/priest combo, or even a paladin or ranger should be capable of soloing. Some mage spells might come in handy, but aren't necessary. Same can be said of thieving skills.

[ 10-19-2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: jmsteven ]
jmsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Blunderbuss:
I haven't got HoW as I can only find it to be purchased with the original game though I may get it soon. Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure it'll prove invaluable, but as I haven't got HoW, should I download the xp cap remover?
Blunderbuss,

To be a little more direct then pritchke's implied recommendation of HoW: I highly, highly recommend getting and installing HoW, ASAP. Do yourself a favor and order it now.

Did you know that if you don't have HoW/TotLM then you probably need a patch? Instead of downloading the patch or the expo cap remover, start downloading TotLM instead (but do NOT install). Then go play IWD with the characters for which you will eventually want the cap removed. When HoW comes (which should be LONG before you need to fiddle with expo caps), install it over IWD, THEN install TotLM over HoW/IWD. There you are, fully patched and ready to rock with expo cap essentially removed.

HoW does so much for you before you even get close to the HoW adventuring area: Enhanced graphics, more voice set choices, more character export slots, better gameplay, better equipment, expo cap raised to out-of-sight, Heart of Fury (HoF) mode to make you wet your pants with fright and get you quickly on your way to using the new character levels that the removed expo cap makes available, treasure/feature highlight key, greatly improved (more powerful and more interesting) Bards and Druids; and then (of course) you have the extra adventuring areas of HoW and TotLM.

If this doesn't show as a link, then copy/paste it (All one line) into your browser -->
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...927615343&rd=1

The above link, good for about 3 days, shows an auction for IWD, HoW, and a separately bought manual. Three bucks (probably $4 by end of auction) + $6 for shipping = $10. It is just one example of how to get HoW quick and cheap. (Resell the extra IWD on ebay to make it even cheaper.)

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
Calagari
Manshoon

Try this site they have HoW for $14.95.
http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGam...Catalog/1007/3

Quote:
[ 10-18-2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Calagari ]
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

Erm...well i would if I could but I'm in the UK and I think those two links specify as US only but don't worry...you've convinced me and I will buy it as soon as possible.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Erm...well i would if I could but I'm in the UK and I think those two links specify as US only but don't worry...you've convinced me and I will buy it as soon as possible.
Acckk! Sorry! I just assumed you were in North America: I was careful to pass up two eBay links because the prices were quoted in British pounds! LOL!

Congrats. You WILL be happy with your decision.

I wonder why you can't see U.S. eBay auctions, when I can see eBay auctions that are obviously originating in U.K.? Sounds like a real diode deal for you guys. Maybe someone in the U.S. government is still harboring a grudge about that time around 1812 that you guys took a boat over and threw a barbeque in our capitol that got out of hand...

If you are willing to take the time: I have found some real cut rate deals on good software; because folks bundle up a whole bunch of game CDs in one sale and advertise as "computer" or "PC" games on eBay. This stuff goes for pennies on the dollar (shillings on the pound?). I found a deal of about $10 U.S. (including shipping) for a bundle including Baldur's Gate, Rainbow 6 (IIRC) and about 8 other excellent PC games. Other deals (at least in the U.S./Canada) abound. I would hope you could find HoW and IWD in a bundle with other stuff for 2 to 5 pounds, including shipping.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

It's not that I can't see the auction, it's just that further down the page it specifies to US only. Anyway, i'm currently browsing websites looking for a good (and cheap) deal and should probably have the expansion pack within the next few weeks.
Cheers
Blunderbuss