Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2003, 01:05 AM   #1
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Question Mark

I just saw the movie, and it was great, he was portayed very realistically, as were the villains, Ben Afflek made my night with his performance, I was initially worried that it would be trite over the top and somewhat campy, luckily I was wrong.

But back to the subject I noticed several cameo's, among them Stan "the man" Lee, John Romita (co-creator of spiderman and one of Marvels earliest artists) - ok, so he wasn't in it, but his name was in lights, so to speak, and the final one I noticed, Kevin Smith (of the Jay and Silent Bob movies ie Clerks, mallrats, etc.) who has worked with marvel for quite a while on Daredevil and other projects.

if anyone else noticed anyone else I missed please post and share.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:01 AM   #2
Sneeki Two
Dungeon Master

You caught all the goodies I found in the movie.

I also liked the movie. From the reviews I've seen you'd think the thing was the worst movie ever made.

As a matter of fact I liked it much better than Spiderman. I thought Spiderman was too long, and by the time I got to the final fight scene, I was anxious leave the theater. Daredevil, however, moved at a good pace, and kept me interested in what was to happen next.

Don't believe the hype. Go and see it for yourself, and then make your judgements.

Just my 2
Sneeki Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Actually, the reviews here were quite good. It got 3 1/2 stars...
I haven't seen it yet, but hope to this week.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:04 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, the reviews I saw were less-that-favorable. I like the Spidey story better and I think audiences do to - because it goes in-depth about his history. My wife, a non-comic-fan, was disappointed at how it jumped from finding his dad dead to being DD. Spidey simply had a better plot. DD's plot was, as the critics point out, a vehicle for the movie's scenes rather than a real driving force. Some plot events were laughably contrived.

I thought the fight scenes were excellent, and the actors beautiful. DD's fighting stick is awesome and allowed for some really cool very fresh coreography. I liked it that DD was not a "nice" guy all the time, as well. King Pin was excellent. A very enjoyable flick, but I recognize its weaknesses.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:01 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I saw the movie this weekend and I thought it was awsome. The only thing I thought that could have been done a little better was the final battle. I was kind of hoping the King Pin would toss Dare Devil around like a doll a little more than he did. But overall it was quite good, the reviews were saying it was only a B rate movie that would suck but I have no idea what they were talking about. The thing is Daredevil didn't get the publicity like Spiderman, or the Hulk so I am thinking alot of these reviewers didn't even take the time to go see the movie.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:46 AM   #6
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint was that-- like all superhero movies these days-- they had to make the character darker and borderline "bad". Daredevil lets that guy get cut in half in the subway? What's THAT all about? The Daredevil I remember wouldn't do that... He always wanted to see people put behind bars. But the current trend is to have superheroes be killers... Even Spiderman let Uncle Ben's killer die. Sure, that might be what many people would do, but in my books, Spidey would have saved him as he fell to his death and sent him off to jail. THAT is being a superhero... Why is everyone suddenly taking a page from the Punisher's book? Even the Batman movies had the bad guys die at the end of the movies...
Anyhow... More cameos:
Frank Miller as "man with pen" and the mortician named "Kirby"
Old 02-18-2003, 03:00 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Spoliers
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Yah but at the end of the movie I thought for sure the King Pin was toast (I am thinking they want to use the King Pin in another movie at some point). I think DareDevil's change of heart had to do with three things.
1. Talk with the father
2. Encounter with the kid in the kitchen (reflection of himself and his father)
3. Death of his girl bent on revenge

The thing is the revenge thing that the superhero's overcome makes them more human. The revenge thing is something the Punisher never can beat.
In the end Daredevil wasn't the bad guy and wouldn't let himself become so.

[ 02-18-2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:41 AM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

<font color=plum>I finally got to see the movie this last night. It was very cool because I had a private viewing....I was the ONLY person in the cinema for the 5pm show. That was kinda neat.

I had my doubts about the movie, to be honost. DareDevil was the title that got me back into collecting comic books in college. The first issues I bought centered around his pursuit of Bullseye right after the death of Elektra. Those were issues 195-200 and made me a fan for life (it took 2-3 years before I finally found a copy of 181 where Bullseye fights Elektra).

My initial reservations centered around the rather significant changes in the movie version. Bullseye doesn't have his normal costume {although the trademark logo is still there} and the Kingpin is black instead of white. Still, these changes were easily overlooked once I got into the theater. Colin Farrel did a great job as Bullseye and Michael Clark Duncan was "dead on" as the Kingpin. The only part that bothered me was the EVERY scene where Kingpin is just standing in his office looking out the window at the rain. One time would have been good. Twice could work....but multiple times made me question the directors creative imagination (as in - does he have any). I also didn't like the part where DareDevil returns home and takes several pills before climbing into his metal chamber (which was another deviation from the comic...but I assume it had some type of regenerative/healing effect on his wounds). I could live with the Rejuvenating Chamber, but didn't like seeing DD portrayed as a "pill popper".

Other than that, the movie was quite good. It was very faithful to the comic version (for the most part) and - although there were some minor differences - all of the characters were portrayed very accurately.</font>
Old 02-20-2003, 07:42 AM   #9
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

All the pills he took were just simple (but powerfull) painkillers to help him rest after the workout he got. With all the beatings his body must take, I can understand the need for a little pain relief. It was done to make him appear more humans and more vulnerable. I didn't like him losing the tooth, however. By age 40, he'll be wearing dentures.While it was never specifically said, his metal "coffin" must have been a sensory deprivation tank, which would cut out enough noise to allow him to sleep. Once I realized that, I thought it was a pretty cool (and logical) idea.
But what I really want to know is...
Where was Stick?

[ 02-20-2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Arnabas ]
Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #10
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

<font color=plum>Hmmmm....never thought about the "coffin" being a sensory deprivation chamber. That would make sense.

And I also missed Stick. I think Pat Morita would have been perfect for that rol (although it would have been a bit "cliche").</font>