Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2003, 05:14 PM   #21
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

I thought DEX bonus meant you had to have certian DEX to wear this armour?? One thing that is confusing about the armour class in IWD2 is that they have all this spell falure and DEX bonus and armr check penalty. IT doesnt make much sense much like THAC0, but i dont pay much attention to that stuff any way.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:18 PM   #22
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar'tanian:
I thought DEX bonus meant you had to have certian DEX to wear this armour?? One thing that is confusing about the armour class in IWD2 is that they have all this spell falure and DEX bonus and armr check penalty. IT doesnt make much sense much like THAC0, but i dont pay much attention to that stuff any way.
I'm not to clear on the Dex bonus myself, but armor check penalty is when you don your armor. Meaning how long it takes you to put on and take off your armor. Arcane spell failure applies to all magic users, since armor restricts your movements, you can't cast a spell as successfully. The % is just the possibility of you failing to cast a spell.

(Others are free to go in more detail or correct me if I'm wrong )
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:58 PM   #23
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

BUt taking it off and on is still rather easy for me? i thought it was if u arent proficient in that armor class u use the ACP instead of the ACB??
Old 02-05-2003, 06:24 PM   #24
andrewas
Harper

Max dex bonus is the maximum amount of AC you can gain from DEX while wearing that armour. Plate mail has a max dex bonus of zero, so dex becomes effectively worthless while wearing it. 3rd ed AC still confuses me, but I think Im getting the hang of it. Sort of. Maybe.

As far as armour proficiency goes - damn. I *knew* I forgot something. I think im only level 2 proficient. DAMNDAMNDAMN. Ah well, Ill get that fixed soon enough. Bah, I like my sorceress better. Just have to pay attention to spell selection, far simpler than all this armour crap.

Armour check penaly is nothing to do with time to don armour (cos the games takes that time to be zero, jus ask my IWD1 mage/cleric. Fastest clothing changes *ever*. PnP may be different, but I would think the time requried would be long enough that doing it in combat would be ruled out totally. What the penalty does is penalise skill checks while wearing that armour. If you are not proficient, it applies to combat and movement skills, but it applies to some skills even if you are proficient. So you cant sneak around very well in full plate mail.

Arcane spell failure is simply the percent chance to fail. The Armoured Arcana skill counters it. I *loathe* what 3rd ed has done to spellcasters. One of the main weaknesses of spellcasters in 2nd ed was spell disruption. But now, I can throw Acid Arrows all day and the enemy keeps making his Concentration check and casting anyway. Takes some of the sting out of those fast casting Magic Missiles.

Is there any way to effectively disrupt enemy casters, or am I going to have to get far to defensive for my liking?
Old 02-06-2003, 12:20 AM   #25
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Spell penetration and those spell specialization feats should help you out in disrupting an enemy spellcaster's casting. Otherwise, whip out that trusty crossbow! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Sorry, rephrased.

[ 02-06-2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:45 PM   #26
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

So when u say how long it takes for u to take it off do u mean how long it takes for the affects of the rmour to wear off, Im confusd but it doesnt matter that much so u dont need to go into alot of depth.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #27
dragonslayer
Manshoon

he just thought u meant the armour check penalty was the time it took to take armour off. but it takes NO time to take it off, it's just a modifier to certain skills when wearing that armour, like weapon finesse, i think.

an i right andrewas?

[img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 07:24 PM   #28
andrewas
Harper

Right.No time to take it off or put it on, and the effects all wear of instantly, with the possible exception of Invisbility, which acts a little weird.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #29
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

Thanx thats much easier to understand. so i guess it isnt that important anyway?
Old 02-14-2003, 08:06 PM   #30
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

How do u determine a players hit dice and were can it be found?

i didnt wanna start a new post because it would be easier if i just talked about that wierd ungame related type stuff here.