Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2001, 12:01 AM   #11
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:

Yep, he still does LOL! SHUT UP!!!

Moni

LMBO.

Old 05-30-2001, 12:05 AM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:

Hello Saz!

So do you have to mow a lot in the Spring and Fall? Any in the Winter?

105+? Is that an average for July and August? Temperatures in your neck of the woods peak above 115, don't they?

So roughly where is Denton?

Fortunately, Onthepequod, I don't really have to mow...our landlord does that, comes with the townhouse. I'm glad because I'm really allergic. However, I have to do a lot of yardwork, which includes raking and spreading bark chips (we use that a lot in our backyard in lieu of grass

Denton is roughly 40 miles north of both Dallas and Fort Worth, on the edge of the flatland prarie. We regularly get triple-digit temperatures in the summertime, but rarely up to 115...every so often, though, we'll get them in excess of 110. I'm hoping this summer will be better, since neither my wife nor I has a car with AC. (whew). I'm trying to remedy that, though!

Basically, I hibernate in the air conditioning for the next 4 months, and start coming back out in September.

Old 05-30-2001, 12:42 AM   #13
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Hey, Onthepequod!!!!

First, you forgot one critical sin that you can do with taking care of your lawn. Mowing it the same direction every time can make you the neighborhood outcast faster than leaving that rusted out Camaro up on blocks in your yard!!!

No worries! Being a fellow Minnesotan, I am sad to admit that I am just as guilty with you at the meticulous (and might I add ridiculous) caring of my yard. I use the excuse that I have two dogs, and trying to make my lawn look any better than it does would just be a waste of time.

I have never understood why people around here get so obsessed with taking care of their lawns. Maybe it's 'cause we only get to see it about 4 months out of the year!!!! But, I, like you, don't really see the point of mowing twice a week. I'm lucky if I get to it every week, and then it's even more hit or miss as to if I trim, clean up the grass, etc.

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Awake, Aware and Loving Life to the best of my abilities
Old 05-30-2001, 08:24 AM   #14
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

onthepequod ~ I too am a sorry representative of Minnesota lawn care. It's just not important to me. Once a week we coerce/bribe one of our sons to mow the lawn. We never water it. The one concession to good neighborhood lawn care that we make is that dh will go over the lawn with weed-be-gone (or whatever it is) to rid it of dandelions.... and that's because our neighbors would probably linch us if our field of dandelions spread to THEIR yards.

Still, console yourself. Do not fret over what your neighbors think, for as I realized years ago ~ no one would notice how lovely the neighborhood yards are if they didn't have our sad, dry, sparsely-grassed lawn for contrast!

So stand proud onthepequod, we too are doing our parts to uphold neighborhood pride!

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:35 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

I don't have a lawn (upstairs apartment).
I do think that having squares of neatly trimmed grass is a bit odd, am I the only one who thinks like this? (Obviously in Minnesota this would be considered heresy LOL!!!). When I see grass I like to see the flowers growing in it, and stalks with seed, that kind of thing. More like a meadow. If I ever have a garden, I will plant wild grass and flower seed to attract the insects and butterflies.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 05-30-2001, 08:42 AM   #16
Gaelic
Elminster

I just bought a house here in Virginia in October. I have turned my lawn from non-existant to a semi-weedy, mostly green, multi-level carpet since then. It is a royal pain in the rear. I refure to mow more than once a week and have yet to acquire all the gear needed to do the trimming, etc. That will come when I sell my car and have the cash to do it. This was much easier when I lived in Killeen, TX (farther SW than Sazerac) where it did hit 115 with fair regularity in July and August. Monthly mowing was nice.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 05-30-2001, 10:21 AM   #17
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I am a once a week mower too! I let my grass get a wee bit longer than most before cutting and leave it at about 3 inches, which is healthy for the lawn. If my neighbors complain, I tell 'em I'm not sure when I can get a permit for a goat and I don't have time to mow more often...hehehe!

Cloudy, not a good Minnesotan

Two goats at one residence? It would be tough to get a permit for that. J/K

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 05-30-2001, 10:22 AM   #18
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Fortunately, Onthepequod, I don't really have to mow...our landlord does that, comes with the townhouse. I'm glad because I'm really allergic. However, I have to do a lot of yardwork, which includes raking and spreading bark chips (we use that a lot in our backyard in lieu of grass

Denton is roughly 40 miles north of both Dallas and Fort Worth, on the edge of the flatland prarie. We regularly get triple-digit temperatures in the summertime, but rarely up to 115...every so often, though, we'll get them in excess of 110. I'm hoping this summer will be better, since neither my wife nor I has a car with AC. (whew). I'm trying to remedy that, though!

Basically, I hibernate in the air conditioning for the next 4 months, and start coming back out in September.

I can appreciate your aversion to mowing. I have allergies as well.

The reason I asked about Denton is because I was wondering where you are in relation to where my father grew up and where I have family. My father was born in Memphis (TX) and I have family in Stephensville.

Old 05-30-2001, 10:27 AM   #19
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

umm.. wanna see our land? wehehe talk about bad mowing and cleanliness

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 05-30-2001, 10:28 AM   #20
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
I can appreciate your aversion to mowing. I have allergies as well.

The reason I asked about Denton is because I was wondering where you are in relation to where my father grew up and where I have family. My father was born in Memphis (TX) and I have family in Stephensville.

Stephensville is about a 2 hour drive from us...not far at all. Memphis is just inside the Panhandle of Texas. I went through there on my way to Amarillo once. I think that area is the only part of Texas that is guaranteed to see snow at least once a year!