Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2001, 03:35 PM   #1
Tuor
Elminster

For or against?
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 04:38 PM   #2
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i would actually say against, which surprises even me. its a much larger punishment to make them languish in prison for their entire lives. unless, of course, we use torture, and since we cant im against death penalty.

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 05:28 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have mixed feelings about it.
For - Prison life in many ways is too good for a prisoner. First, they can hire a lawyer that will try to get them out or if they confess, they get a much smaller sentence. In prison, they eat well, do drugs, lift weights, watch cable TV, do not pay taxes, make friends , and learn how to be meaner and more dangerous. (I have read articles and listened to people talking as reference to this...not by personal witness.)

Against - That is an easy, quick way out. They need to be made to live in anguish, torment, and suffer for their crimes. I wish some people could be put through a slow death, rather thatn a quick, painless one.

------------------

Father of the wickedly cute child known as MaryBeth
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 05:35 PM   #4
Fast Hands
Dungeon Master

Hope it's okay I share my same opinion here. I have nothing against the death penalty except for the uncertainty of if the convict is actually guilty or not. But, with DNA testing and other modern advances, hopefully everyone who goes through the death penalty is 100% guilty. Yes, it would be a better punishment to have them rot in prison, but think about how "hard" prison life is for them (it's cake). Besides, who wants to pay for jails filling up with even more people?

Fast Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 05:41 PM   #5
G'kar

Both. On one hand I could see it like ejecting a player from a game for unsportsmanlike conduct(thank the man from mars for this perspective). Of course I believe in both reincarnation and non-physical existance beyond death, so it's not an absolute punishment except in one lifetime.
On the other hand what if they are innocent? Oooops just wont cut it in that case, neither will an apology.
Old 09-07-2001, 05:52 PM   #6
Legolas the Elven Archer

Definately against. Apart from the effects the death penalty might have on the crime levels, apart from moral values and apart from the dozens of regular arguments you've all heard, I think it is a bad thing.

Sure, we are better off without people who kill dozens of others, but simply killing them would never be enough of a penalty. But even in prison life is too good for them.
Just think about this: in a lot of prisons, each prisoner has a private cell. In homes for demented elderly, people have to share rooms with three or more others. Now who's got the better situation, your grandmother or the person who murdered your best friend?

Now don't think I just want murderers to suffer, but in almost all of the cases, especially with serial murderers, the person who commits the crime knows perfectly well what he/she is doing, and is aware of the penalties. If you can't make those penalties high enough or increase the risk to the murderers, you won't stop them. And with the death penalty, it's just something like "Well, I'll kill this and that person, and if I get lucky I'll get away with it, and otherwise I'll be dead. In any case, I'll have nothing to worry about."
And that's NOT wat we want...

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Old 09-07-2001, 06:37 PM   #7
Fast Hands
Dungeon Master

Good point Legolas. Dying isn't really that big of a consequence to some.

Fast Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 07:59 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I like what they did to that American guy that went to Singapore and broke a window, or something.
A martial artist whacked him on the arse a few times, and he will never forget it!
Clinton was even stupid enough to try to persuade Singapore officials to release him into US hands, so he could receive his punishment here.(what would have been, writing 100 times on a board "i will not break windows in Singapore)
If we had that type of punishmment in the US, crime would be down

------------------

Father of the wickedly cute child known as MaryBeth
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 12:47 AM   #9
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Hands:
Hope it's okay I share my same opinion here. I have nothing against the death penalty except for the uncertainty of if the convict is actually guilty or not. But, with DNA testing and other modern advances, hopefully everyone who goes through the death penalty is 100% guilty. Yes, it would be a better punishment to have them rot in prison, but think about how "hard" prison life is for them (it's cake). Besides, who wants to pay for jails filling up with even more people?

I feel that there should be no death penalty until we can be ABSOLUTELY certain that we have the right man. Many people have been put to death that it was later found that they were innocent. I would rather see 1000 murderers with a life sentence (without parole) than 1 innocent put to death accidentaly just so that we can feel good about killing the guilty.

Now when science permits us to see without a doubt the guilty, LOOK OUT!!!
In this case, I would recommend that the guilty die the same way that they killed the victims. If they raped and tortured to death, do the same thing back!! I'm sure you get the point.

However, I do believe in a prisoner's rights to a speedy investigation if DNA evidence can overturn their conviction!
One case comes to mind of a man who was wrongfully imprisoned and raped contracting AIDS because of it. He was eventually released because of DNA, but only after years of his case going through approval to be investigated. His life was already ruined. Investigate these older cases now! Before another person has to spend an other unjustified day in prison.

------------------
Liliara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 01:05 AM   #10
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

YES! YES! YES
hang the suckers that is if they were convicted without a shadow of doubt.
baby rapers and child molesters should be taken out and shot after having 10
lashes with a cat of 9 tails. Men that rape women should be droped in a pit
just after being casterated and then filled in with concrete and the whole
process should put on T.V. I think that the next time some poor girl or woman
that says NO will be heard by the horney basterd that thinks they can do what they want because they thought she was asking for it.Gang members that kill
by drive by or any other reason should spend 10 days on death row gaged and
chained to a wall then drug into the electric chair and FRIED also all known
members of that gang should be made to watch knowing they may be next

------------------
The Blade Makes The Man
The Man Made The Blade
Death To All That Stand
In Their Way! BEWARE ALL!
TheCrimsomBlade is offline   Reply With Quote