Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #1
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Heyas everyone

After playing Throne of Bhaal many times, I was wondering if there is anything to 'spice it up'. Truth be told ToB is pathetic really. It has alot of loose ends and seems to have been rushed quite honestly.

So, I was wondering if there is any good, reliable mods out there to add quests and tie up loose ends and expand ToB. Sort of like an 'Unfinished Buisness for Throne of Bhaal'

Thanks alot

--Kestrel--
Old 12-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

My o my !! Do a google on "Throne of Bhaal mods", you'll get 9,000+ hits, and browse to your hearts content. Anyway, to shorten your search, there are three *main* (read-most popular) mods...The Asencion, Shadows Over Soubar, and Tortured Souls. I know nothing about the quality of any of them(although I have heard the Ascension mod makes ToB even MORE difficult). IMO ToB is difficult enough, and the final boss almost unbeatable without major cheese and/or cheating. Although I am sure someone here will pipe up and say they beat beat her with Aerie, single-handed.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Using Aerie to defeat a boss is nothing much to crow about. Now... if somebody managed to beat the final boss with... let's say... Viconia, single-handedly. That would be noteworthy.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Beating her with Nalia would be even better. But anyway, ascension pumps the difficulty WAY WAY up, and there's also the redemption mod.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:47 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Despite much ire about Nalia's whining, she is nevertheless, a Mage. That alone ranks her quite high on the list of NPCs who can single-handedly beat the bosses.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:30 AM   #6
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

using a mage without sarculium and the other cheesy spells... now THAT would be note worthy lol

common, the final boss would be quite hard to beat with one person no matter who
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

The final boss is quite tough I must admit, but not impossible to defeat single-handedly. Its her bloody minions that caused me the most pain. Thats the toughest part about her I would personally say.

--Kestrel--
Old 12-26-2004, 07:15 AM   #8
Faceman
Hathor

something about Ascension...
There is only one BG2 mod I ever really used, BGT.
It adds Ascension (which is a mod by itself) to the ToB part and it blew me away.
IIRC Ascension was made by one of the original designers of BG on his own time and adds some nice story to ToB giving you more choices in places where you would have expected but didn't get them in vanilla ToB. It makes the final fight much more interesting (not necessarily tougher) and gives the Bhaalspawn a lot more credibility (by making their fights tougher ).
So if you thought ToB lacked storywise and are not afraid of challenging difficulty I recommend you to install it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2004, 05:04 PM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ascension does not add any story components through TOB. It changes the final battle considerably, and potentially gives you another way to get past the second-to-final boss.
It would take alot of effort to make something good out of TOB... in the end, it could almost be less work to write an alternate expansion from scratch...

EDIT: Other than Ascension and Redemption, every "Throne of Bhaal mod" I know of a) Doesn't affect the story at all, and b) Is only a TOB mod because it requires TOB. This is things like the Ease of Use Infinite Stacking for TOB items, Refinements, and Kelsey-TOB.

[ 12-26-2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
Andyr
Manshoon

Lennon is pretty much correct. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ascension makes the final battle a lot better but doesn't actually do much else in ToB. Older versions came packaged with 'Improved' versions of some of the ToB bosses and a little bonus for Sarevok and his old sword, and I think a tweak to restore Bhaalpowers in ToB. I think these are separate somewhere in the current version though.

But yeh, as far as ToB specific mods outside the final battle I think Dorotea's Redemption and The Longer Road are pretty much it - check the forum at http://forums.forgottenwars.net [img]smile.gif[/img]
[url]\"http://www.gibberlings3.net/\" target=\"_blank\">\"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see...\"</a> - G3: Home of IE mods<br /><br />[url]\"http://forums.gibberlings3.net\" target=\"_blank\">Forums</a><br /><br /><i>JCompton:</i> Suggested plugs include \"Click here so Compton doesn\'t ban me. [url]\"http://www.pocketplane.net/ub\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.pocketplane.net/ub</a> \"
Andyr is offline   Reply With Quote