Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2001, 04:14 PM   #11
Rikard

Every NPC i played was great including Valygar EXCLUDING both Minsc as Jaheira

I shall list the reasons below why Valygar is better then Minsc

First of all

Minsc is not a Ranger but a bezerker, his wisdom is below 13 and he has the berzerker rage.

Valygar can use Katana's and in the Game there's only one good Katana (well not true Zerth sword is good for Fighter/mages but not for any other class) And if you have Valygar you can dual wield this with his own katana, Minsc will have to use his pathatic Maces.

Valygar is Stalker which means: BACKSTABBING
ok he can't wear heavy armor but his own armor is pretty good
And he gets a +2AC bonus over Minsc becoz of his higher Dex.

Why should Minsc be better then Valygar?
His strenght is higher but i normally give Valygar the belt of Stone giants strenght (i think 20str)
ehm
erhm
i can't really think of anything else
It's pretty obvious to me

------------------

Old 07-10-2001, 04:19 PM   #12
Dramnek_Ulk

Minsc is a ranger he just has the beserker ability, as it is a requirement to enter the ice dragons berserker lodge in rashemon. If the justifiaciton makes it nesaceryy any class even paladins or clerics can be or have berserking. and minscs two handeds swords combined with haste and berserk mean he cant be stopped even by psionics or imprisonemnt. and mincs wisdom was lowred after he became a rangerwhen he was knocked of the head by gnolls so he can still be one if he wants.

------------------
These sweet and gracious monkey balls,
Served on plates and sold from stalls,
Bring madness to these hallowed halls
Of urban academe.

Huzzaks for chocolate monkey balls!
We'll eat them 'til the ceiling falls,
'Til Time, herself, tears down these walls
Of urban academe.

So buy yourself a monkey ball,
Savour it and then stand tall,
A bulwark 'gainst the deaf'ning call
Of urban academe.

Old 07-10-2001, 05:03 PM   #13
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

In my game i got Valygar and made him dual weild Celestail fury and Crom Fayre
needless to say, he kicked ass.

------------------
Old 07-10-2001, 05:48 PM   #14
Rikard

And You know if what We Say is for real if Jerome and I Agree

------------------

Old 07-11-2001, 12:26 AM   #15
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Well, Valygar is a versatile fellow. Any party can benefit from him in some way or the other. You have to use him for his strengths.

Here's a list of things he's good at-

1) Recon.
With a his high stealth rating, he seldom ever slips up and becomes visible. Use his normal armour which is better than most suits of leathers.

2) Assassination.
Valygar can sneak as well as any thief, and has a WAY better THAC0. Try hiding him with the Katana armed, and then check his profile - see the THAC0 drop?
Also his katana carries a "poison" that hits EVERY time. No save.
He can dual wield. So, pass him a decent second katana and he'll backstab, then get a free single shot with the off hand - like a 4X backstab, if you like, and a guarantee of poison damage. And much lower chance of missing.
To maximise this damage, give him a strength belt. Very few things can survive a hit from Valygar.

3) Sniper.
Give Valygar a strength belt and hand him Heartseeker. Add the Bracers of Archery. He won't miss. And with Heartseeker, he can hit things from outside visual range, if you use an invisible/hidden spotter. He's a better shot than any thief will ever be, but he's not a dedicated Archer - he can actually fight close up too.

4) Spearman.
It seems that most people haven't realised that you can use a spear from just outside the range of most melee weapons. Stack Valygar with your spear of choice behind a couple tanks, and he will continue to dish out severe damage from medium range. But you have to hold formation for this to be effective.

5) Emergency Medical Technician.
Valygar gets Priest Spells at higher levels, and can heal. A little. But what thief can do that? It can make a difference in a pinch. And give him the Summon Holy Might to start the party.

6) Tank.
Tank?? you say?
Valygar can wear Heavy Drow Plate, and use a heavy shield like Sentinel. Suit him up in Drow plate and hand him Sentinel, and he'll reward you with a truly amazing AC. Kick him out of the Party before exiting the Underdark and he'll meet you again with his fine black Drow armour.

All in all, he's a damn good NPC. If your playstyle doesn't utilise him properly, then you're missing out on a good all-rounder of a warrior.