Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

What stuff (I don't care about weapons, just other equipment) should a powergamed solo Kensai be wearing?

Please give me your opinions for SoA and also for ToB.

TIA

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

SoA-only

Shield Amulet: Since you are soloing, you can well afford the cost to recharge it at the merchants. Keep using the charges during battles( each charge lasts for a minute).

Ring of Gaxx: For the AC bonus, Regeneration, Poison Immunity, Improved Haste charges, etc...

Pale Green Ioun Stone: For the HP boost.

Cloak of Protection +2: For the AC bonus & Saving Throws bonus

~~~~ ~~~~

You can mix and match with the rest, but some items to look out for,

..) Ring of Free Action
..) Ring of Earth Control
..) Ring of Protection +1/2
..) Ring of the Ram
..) Boots of Speed
..) Boots of Avoidance
..) Boots of the North
..) Cloak of the Sewers
..) Belt of Inertial Barrier
..) Girdle of Piercing/Crushing
..) Greenstone Amulet
..) Necklace of Missiles
..) etc...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

You'll definitely want some sort of regen item. Cloak of the Sewers (for troll shapeshift) is good until you can get a better alternative. Keep a bag of holding full of different types of weapons and items. The Boots of Speed followed by Amulet of Cheetah Speed are definitely a good idea.

When I made an solo kensai, I geared it towards ridiculous offence - I come from the school of thought that it's better to have extreme strengths than try to make up for shortcomings. The shortcomings of a kensai are defensive, but it's an offensive powerhouse. If you have items that can grant invisibility (potions, rings, etc.) a good tactic is to sneak up on a mage or whatever and unleash high holy heck on them before they can get any protections up. Keep in mind that equipment selection, without including weapons, will be very limited for a kensai. Your bread and butter will be weapons and tactics, with items mattering much less than for a solo pure class fighter.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
Babyseal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ilbratha+1 and Gargoyle boots from ToB will make up for the defensive shortcomings. Mirror image and stoneskin are a kensais dream...
Babyseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:52 AM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

summons can be useful to soak up some damage - summons that you can use include

spider figurine
staff of air*
staff of fire*
horn of valhalla (iirc?)
ras the dancing sword*
djinni flask

* admittedly these are weapons but chosen for their extras rather than the hitting

also - don't be ashamed of swapping the girdles of bluntness and piercing around depending on what you're up against (well you can be a little bit ashamed )
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I'm surprised the Cloak of Mirroring wasn't on anybody's list, but I can understand as the Cloak of the Sewers gives an AC bonus.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Old 06-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

To be honest, I thought the Cloak of Mirroring was a given. I was thinking more of non-traditional items that a kensai could use.

I would definitely second Armen's opinion. Even stalling an enemy for just a round or so gives the solo kensai enough time to chunk an opponent, so every summoning item is valuable.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I might give this a try then. It kinda sounds like fun!

Old 07-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Klorox:
I'm surprised the Cloak of Mirroring wasn't on anybody's list, but I can understand as the Cloak of the Sewers gives an AC bonus.
Yea, maybe if he wanted to take 500 minutes just to walk from one end of the screen to the other...that cloak slows my computer down and gives me an exedrine headache because the grapic underneath the caharacter doesnt come on sometimes and then i feel like its not going to work so i have to go my back pack n put it back on and AHHHHH
Old 07-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar'tanian:
Yea, maybe if he wanted to take 500 minutes just to walk from one end of the screen to the other...that cloak slows my computer down and gives me an exedrine headache because the grapic underneath the caharacter doesnt come on sometimes and then i feel like its not going to work so i have to go my back pack n put it back on and AHHHHH
I used to have the same problem, but disabling the 3D acceleration will quite often fix the slow-game problem.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote