Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2002, 12:54 PM   #11
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I feel I must comment that I primarily see things such as magic, spiritual commune, psychics, witchcraft, etc. as faciful fantasy and the stuff of con-men and sleight of hand experts. Look at the testimonials of some psychics who turned honest and showed how it was done. The only thing supernatural is the cleverness at how it's done!
There is a world of difference between charlatan psychics and people who practice "witchcraft". There are those who may use any form of paranormal or religious experiences for their own ends. This does not summarily trash all forms of spiritual inquiry or paranormal experience. Taken in that logic, one could easily say that christianity is a farce that was exposed by the downfall of any number of con-men and televangelists. Those people, though, did not have anything in common with most christians.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:58 PM   #12
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Perhaps there are supernatural forces. I doubt candles, chants, and circles have anything to do with it except being decorations for human tastes.
Very good point. The candles, chants, and circles, not to mention pentagrams, athames, and incense used by wiccans are the same sort of decorations as the chalices, censers, and unleavened bread used in a mass. They are symbolic of the deity that is being honored, and used to focus the participants thoughts on the various aspects of the worship.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:46 PM   #13
MagiK

In my world view there are no "SUPER NATURAL" forces, there are only natural forces, some that we understand, and some that we have yet to understand. I believe that even God is a Natural force, since we are all part of one Nature and in my religion we are created in his image. [img]smile.gif[/img] Just my opinion [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2002, 01:48 PM   #14
MagiK

Are things Paranormal or are they just normal and not explored? or uncommon?

Old 07-11-2002, 03:40 PM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
But Johnny, you are indeed living proof of that!!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
I'm gonna haunt you in your dreams for this my dear lady ! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2002, 04:00 PM   #16
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
In my world view there are no "SUPER NATURAL" forces, there are only natural forces, some that we understand, and some that we have yet to understand. I believe that even God is a Natural force, since we are all part of one Nature and in my religion we are created in his image. [img]smile.gif[/img] Just my opinion [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well put, MagiK, very well put. That's why the term "occult" originally came into use, it literally means "hidden knowledge". Unfortunately, it's a term that has been given a lot of negative connotations over time. I think that it is important to recognize that there are many things in the world that we do not yet understand, and not let our ignorance give rise to fear and superstition, thereby prevent us from learning.

Old 07-11-2002, 04:06 PM   #17
Dramnek_Ulk

It’s quite simply (IMHO) all a Phantom of the mind, An Invisible hand which we allow to arrange materiel relationships for us.
I wish I could believe in such things, I think it would probably be a comfort and succour.
But no, Not until there is definitive scientific proof.

Old 07-11-2002, 04:46 PM   #18
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Well put, MagiK, very well put. That's why the term "occult" originally came into use, it literally means "hidden knowledge". Unfortunately, it's a term that has been given a lot of negative connotations over time. I think that it is important to recognize that there are many things in the world that we do not yet understand, and not let our ignorance give rise to fear and superstition, thereby prevent us from learning.[/QUOTE] Ack!! You are 100% correct about the term Occult, I actualy used to know that and had completly forgotten it. I think the old brain is startin to show the signs of age