Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Question Mark

Hey guys! I was just wondering... Oddly I saw a Siamese Cat... and then it was affordable! I mean if I could get one then I will... because I am so sick and tired with one of our dogs.

Now cats are usually all over the place, and like dogs different breeds mean different traits right?

Another factor I like are that cats are clean. The question is though (I have seen it though but I want confirmation) if cats can be trained to use the toilet as their litter?

Basically I am a dog lover, but if a cat can be loyal, obedient, trainable and would not exactly need a leash I would gladly get one. I like the Siamese Cat because of its colors, and it has short fur. I cannot have the house filled with fur.

Guys? I need help... because I know jack about cats [img]smile.gif[/img]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Cats are evil. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

That was encouraging. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Cats ARE evil: they're not friendly like dogs, they are arrogant creatures, who expect you to make time for them whenever - even their expression looks arrogant [img]tongue.gif[/img]

However, yes I've seen/heard that cats can be trained to crap etc where you want them to, and even to scratch a post, not the leather 3-piece suite.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

My cats are quite friendly, and playful, in fact the younger one loves to play fetch.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

I love cats, much nicer than dogs, heheh. Although saying that I have 4 cats and 5 dogs so. But I do find that cats are cleaner and much more independant, all you need to do is feed them and thats it. But I love to play and pet my cats, I have 2 siamese aswell which I love.

They can be trained yes, so dont worry. Be careful though, while Siamese are nice looking and things, they can be nasty if you get a 'bad' one.

Here are my two:

--Kestrel--
Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Cats can be trained, but it takes a lot of time and patience. They are NOT like dogs and can't be trained/treated as such.

I'd suggest you ask a veterinarian or look up some Cat fancier sites online that might have tips on caring for and training cats. Here is one place to start. It's a bit 'busy' as websites go, but it has a lot of info packed into the various links.

I'd suggest you read up on cats and their behaviour and care needs BEFORE you run out buy one, though. You may find you don't really want one or you may find that, although different than dogs, you really like the idea of having a cat for a pet. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I do strongly recommend doing some research before acquiring any pet. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sorry Kestrel, but I have to say you don't just 'feed them and that's it!' as I'm sure you know, having 4! Cats need attention, playing, ocasional grooming and routine medical checkups at the vet, just like dogs do. No, they aren't as needy in the attention zone as dogs tend to be, but they still need some! Maybe your point was that they just aren't quite as needy and time consuming to own as dogs? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-01-2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 02-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

siamese can most definatly be mean. my parents have a half siamese who does not like children at all. he hisses and bites, and is all round wild most of the time cept when he wants something. he also doesn't care who does what to discourage him from getting ont he counters, he still does it.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:24 AM   #9
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Sorry Kestrel, but I have to say you don't just 'feed them and that's it!' as I'm sure you know, having 4! Cats need attention, playing, ocasional grooming and routine medical checkups at the vet, just like dogs do. No, they aren't as needy in the attention zone as dogs tend to be, but they still need some! Maybe your point was that they just aren't quite as needy and time consuming to own as dogs? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I just mean that yeah, they arent as needy as dogs are. They arent as time consuming as you dont really need to walk them or give them exercise. Siamese cats dont really need that much grooming as they only have short fur and so pretty much take care of themselves. They do require alot of affection and attention so that they grow fonder of you.

Im sorry if it came across as how you though, I was just making an under-exaggerated comparison to the amount of time and energy you have to put into the caring of dogs.

--Kestrel--
Old 02-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I figured that's what you meant, Kestrel! I just didn't want Bahamut or others who don't know about cats to get the wrong idea.

But you're right- they don't need quite as much work as dogs! [img]smile.gif[/img]