Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2003, 07:46 AM   #1
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
English fans want to see Warne back

English cricket supporters overwhelmingly want to see Shane Warne back in the Test arena and are even happy for him to let rip with some colourful sledging.

In a survey conducted by The Wisden Cricketer magazine, 70 per cent of readers believed Warne should be picked for Australia again when he's served his 12-month ban for testing positive to a banned diuretic.

The record-breaking leg spinner enjoys a love-hate relationship with the English media and cricket followers.

They relish making fun of his controversies while at the same time, even though he has destroyed the English side in countless Tests and one-dayers, marvel at the talent which has brought him 491 Test wickets.

"People who love cricket want to see the big names and Warne is one of the greats. People will say (when) he's served his ban, bring it on," said Wisden Cricketer editor John Stern.

"Most English fans would love to see Warne play here again."

With or without Warne, an optimistic 50 per cent of English fans believed England could win the Ashes off Australia in the 2005 Ashes series.

If Warne, 34, does make that tour of England, more than half of the 1000 readers who responded to the on-line poll published in the monthly magazine on Friday would be happy to hear his and his teammates' on-field verbals.

The majority of readers agreed with Pakistan captain Rashid Latif who said Australian sledging was fine.

But while they believed sledging was acceptable at the highest levels of the game, two-thirds said it was not acceptable in village cricket.

"I think it shows cricket fans are fairly grown up about the way international cricket is played and that words are exchanged in the heat of battle and isn't a detriment to the game," Stern said.

Latif wrote on the CricInfo website that he believed not all sledging was bad and said the Australians' verbals added to the game's competitiveness as long as they avoided ugly language.

Seventy per cent of readers believed corruption was still in the game despite assurances from the International Cricket Council that it was clean, but fewer than a third said it spoilt their enjoyment of the game.

"Diehard cricket fans know the history of corruption in the game and are not naive," Stern said.

"They don't quite believe it's completely stamped out.

"The ICC should ask why do people think that and address that."

England's appreciation of Australian cricket continued when Sydney was voted as the favourite ground to watch England play Test cricket, while Richie Benaud was overwhelmingly voted the best commentator.
Hold on - run that past me again - Richie as the best commentator??? You have got to be pullin me ole "Jake the peg" dontcha? Like - sure - Tony Grieg is the world's worst commentator, but I would rather listen to ole "Aggers" on the radio than suffer through rustic Richie .
Old 09-18-2003, 01:47 AM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Aggers is a stuffy old prig [img]tongue.gif[/img] . I like Peter Roebuck though. LOL I'd rather see Warnie back playing than commentating anymore. When he started during the Bangladesh series I thought he was quite good! - not like Mark Waugh turning every incident into an anecdote about himself . But how many times did he say Mullet (Moolay) Gillespie?? I dreaded him being on when Moolay was bowling [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2003, 05:54 AM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

In the same paper it was reported that Arsenal supporters wanted Teddy Sheringham to play for the club! I don't think so.

Richie is by far the best BTW. Good effort that I thought....
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-18-2003, 06:08 AM   #4
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

to much text...
Old 09-18-2003, 04:48 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Cristian:
to much text...
If you didn't actually read the article... and have no idea what the thread's even about - then why did you post? AFAIK Davros didn't actually post the article for specifically your benefit, so why waste everyone's time?

They seem to be phasing Bill out!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:56 PM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
quote:
to much text...
If you didn't actually read the article... and have no idea what the thread's even about - then why did you post? AFAIK Davros didn't actually post the article for specifically your benefit, so why waste everyone's time?

[/QUOTE]Hiya Aelia :happywave" - I was thinking the same thing, but refrained from saying it to avoid sounding like a crotchety old man . Maybe it was a "low post count" day or something.

Hope ya got my letter - this week - I know I have been very slack in the letter writing department lately [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Phasing Bill out? Not sure I am quite with you there. How do you phase out a cup, or do I have the wrong Bill? I am sure Donut will seize on my confusion to report the errors of my ways to me. Gaaaak - the man likes Richie - I had a modicum of respect for our Donut, but things like that cause a crisis of faith .

Just realised you probably mean the "Profound Probocis" - well with Warnie out, he has no Victorians to talk about. That must be driving him to despair.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #7
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Hi Davros! [img]smile.gif[/img] Yeah I considered the same thing, but decided since I AM crotchety, why not post like it?

I have to say I did lose a bit of respect for Richie after seeing him in those world cup promos popping out of the jungle with his pith hat on [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

You and Wellard got another twenty on the game on Saturday?

OMG yesterday I was trying to decide who I was going for in the league, what with the Broncos entering a rebuilding period and all - and realised the team I wanted to win the most (ie disliked the least ) was the Warriors!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:

You and Wellard got another twenty on the game on Saturday?

OMG yesterday I was trying to decide who I was going for in the league, what with the Broncos entering a rebuilding period and all - and realised the team I wanted to win the most (ie disliked the least ) was the Warriors!
No twenty on this game *yet*. I had to turn down a chace to go to the match with Mario too, Which I am already regretting. Aelia don't feel bad about the need to support the forigners in the NRL. I will end up shouting for them now I guess, now that St George are errrrr.. rebuilding too That just leaves me with teams I dislike in the finals Cantabury, Melbourne, Brisbane Roosters ect. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 09-18-2003, 07:43 PM   #9
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
quote:
to much text...

[/QUOTE]What a shot, what.. a... shot, marvelous, six the moment it left the bat [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-18-2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Old 09-19-2003, 05:54 AM   #10
Donut
Jack Burton

Fave Richie quote:

"Laird has been brought in to stand in the corner of the circle"

King of the commentators - perhaps you don't like him because he's fair!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show