Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 10:38 PM   #11
Conan

Okay guys, ..Grand Ranger. I entered the Army when I was 17. Man how I wanted to get out of my home town. I could not see staying there.
I had the worst DI's in the Army...getting mental head games. The minute I was rushed off the first bus I knew I was going to have fun Seeing really big guys crying by the way side really motivated me even more. I was in the best shape . ever . in my life. We ran 3 to 4 miles in disfunctional boots before 6:00am dear God.
Well, Engineering training went on for hours. Bridges,buildings,roadblocks...I am tired thinking about them.

My main duty station for the first 2 years was in Europe and last 2 in the States. (Rx3) you know..I went TDY alot and was never more than 5 weeks in one spot. One of the complete ironic things that has ever happened was that my young girlfreind was 100% German at the time I was in Germany. Im tired now.... mentally drained.ask me again sometime GR!

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 09-14-2001, 11:47 PM   #12
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
Okay guys, ..Grand Ranger. I entered the Army when I was 17. Man how I wanted to get out of my home town. I could not see staying there.
I had the worst DI's in the Army...getting mental head games. The minute I was rushed off the first bus I knew I was going to have fun Seeing really big guys crying by the way side really motivated me even more. I was in the best shape . ever . in my life. We ran 3 to 4 miles in disfunctional boots before 6:00am dear God.

Ha!! Sounds like you went through BT at Ft. Knox like me...those were some of the meanest drills on the planet! 96Romeo all the way!! Hoo Wa!!

------------------

"Heads are gonna roll..."
Old 09-14-2001, 11:51 PM   #13
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
Well, Engineering training went on for hours. Bridges,buildings,roadblocks...I am tired thinking about them.

My main duty station for the first 2 years was in Europe and last 2 in the States. (Rx3) you know..I went TDY alot and was never more than 5 weeks in one spot. One of the complete ironic things that has ever happened was that my young girlfreind was 100% German at the time I was in Germany. Im tired now.... mentally drained.ask me again sometime GR!

Navy life was a lot easier. We had mind games worse than most other services though (Marines beat us on that though). I was a Machinist Mate. I tended to the engines and aft throttle. It was cool that I controlled 1/2 of how fast the ship was going (there were two props on my ship). Got to see a lot of what some of the rest of the world was like. Only place that we weren't welcome was in Copenhagen, Denmark though. Well, at least at the port. There were demonstrators that were there saying "AMERICANS GO HOME" or "DIE AMERICAN PIGS". Once we actually made it to the streets it wasn't too bad. Everyone kind of looked at us a bit strange, but at least there weren't any direct hostilities. It was surprising that no one spoke English though (probably did, but because of whatever was going on, they just didn't want to have anything to do with Americans *SHRUGS&). Overall, I had a very pleasant journey. I have been to Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Israel, Portugal, Scotland (best place in the world to me so far !!!!!!), Africa, and Turkey. (I might be forgetting something here, sorry, a bit tired). Everyone was really friendly, especially SPAIN (WOO HOO ) I still have plans to go back to Europe sometime. I know that basically deep down we are all decent human beings (Ok, that my be a bit optimistic with what just happened, but I mean as a nation). I kinda regret leaving the service, but I left because I wanted to start a family. Too bad I hurried up with the wrong woman though. LOL. GOD BLESS THE WORLD

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 09-14-2001, 11:53 PM   #14
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well i myself have never served, but my Great Grandfather served as a medic during the Civil War for the Confederates. getitng more recent, my Grandfather on my dad's side served in the Marines in the Philippinnes and spent 4 years in a Japanese death camp 5 miles from Nagasaki mining coal. my Grandfather on my moms side served in the Airforce during World War II as a pilot instructor. moving on, my Uncle served in the Navy during Vietnam flying fighter planes. i may one day serve, although its still questionable. although if i do, i would probably choose Navy despite what people say about it, seeing as how i know those stupid rumors arent true in most cases.

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Old 09-15-2001, 12:04 AM   #15
Moni

I've never served either (too stubborn to allow anyone to tell me when to do what lol) but my grandfathers, one of my grandmothers, great uncles, my father, one of my brothers, one of my sisters, a brother-in-law, and many of my friends, male and female alike have all "done time"

(I also have a great-aunt who was a "poster girl" during WWII...and a very popular one a that! She made a fortune off of postcards with her in a bathing suit on them alone!)

I am sure my great granparents and those before them served as well...it was meant to be passed on as an honorable thing for men to do in our family...then the 60's hit.

Peace

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-15-2001).]

Old 09-15-2001, 01:20 AM   #16
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Been ther done that. Gulf War vet in the Army. Chief of Survey and design for a Combat Engineering Battalion. 13 years in.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 09-15-2001, 01:52 AM   #17
Pain-Wrath
Banned User

Hey kinda sucks what happened, I feel bad, but luckily none of my family is in/was in the accident. How's it going Ranger, remember me? how's everything goin? just wanted to say hi and that I'm Back. well Hi...I'm responding to other boards too so drop a note and say hi...Laters. -Steve
Old 09-15-2001, 01:57 AM   #18
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Pain-Wrath:
Hey kinda sucks what happened, I feel bad, but luckily none of my family is in/was in the accident. How's it going Ranger, remember me? how's everything goin? just wanted to say hi and that I'm Back. well Hi...I'm responding to other boards too so drop a note and say hi...Laters. -Steve

Hey! I rember you. THe guy that wanted the sig,no? Whats up?

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

"You guys way off,you guys kick ass, Live at Buddahkhan, Intenceidy-in-tence-city"
Old 09-15-2001, 08:34 AM   #19
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

My father was a reserve officer in the amy and I did my duty as most Swedes did back then, bit now we don´t have that much of an army left. I served as a company medic in the Infantry after the basic and olow officer training.

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-15-2001, 11:13 AM   #20
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

HOO-RAH! 7+ years in the military, all branches of the army - reserves, gaurd, active duty, reserves, gaurd, in that order. I was a seargent(E-5) THREE different times before i finally got out completely when i was offered the teaching position in my department at Montana State University in fall of '89. My years of active duty were 85-87 in Germany, I was there when Reagan bombed Libya for the Berlin discotheque bombing, and when Chernobyl blew up on it's own. My little sister is a Major in the army now, Intelligence branch. She has been pretty mum about things, and very busy lately, as you might guess. When we spoke last night, she mentioned that, according to the people she spoke with in D.C. since the war began, that the terrorists succeeded in less than half of the actions that they had planned, and there is growing group of people who are "unofficial guests" of various intelligence agencies that the news networks know nothing about, and to whom civil liberties DO NOT APPLY.
Unfortunately, chemical interrogation is the only kind done these days, but if no one knows where you are, they can't ask about you, can they? I hope that they suffer greatly before they are disposed of. Yes, the news has told of the group with delta id and uniforms, but the standard security measured in place did stop more than half of the planned hijackings tuesday morning. It was those individuals who were scooped up by 'agencies' and disapppeared, and from whom we can expect our best, earliest intell. I will pass on other things that i can , when i can, but for those of us here in the states, it is small comfort that it was 4 planes taken, instead of the planned 10.

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To