Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2001, 02:59 AM   #41
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Hmmm....
A recipe thread... I like it!

------------------

Proud new member of LH!
Old 09-01-2001, 06:08 AM   #42
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Bit late to post now, but still... I am beginning to learn how to cook, I only know a few simple recipes but am trying to get better (really). I am also the official cake, cookie etc. baker in the household - I love baking! One interesting thing my dad and I do is make bagels - they are one of the things I miss about the US . The recipe is VERY complicated, you need to start the dough about 5 days in advance, etc. My favorite recipe is Potato-Gratin, it's a very simple recipe but you can add many things, like herbs, mushrooms, ham, vegetables, spices etc.
About spicy food - I believe I have over-sensitive taste buds . I CANNOT eat ANY kind of spicy food, I can only eat very mild foods . Same goes for tea, I HAVE to drink my morning Earl Gray with milk and sugar, otherwise it's too bitter for me . I get the feeling that I'm missing out on a lot of delicious spicy foods by hearing you talk . My favorite tea is normal mint tea, but I prefer fennel tea when I have a cold or need to relax.

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-01-2001, 06:12 AM   #43
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

ALL great chefs start out with one thing in common: a passion for food.

Just experiment and learn as much as you can. Food is a wonderful way to tie a family and even entire cultures together.

------------------

Proud new member of LH!
Old 09-01-2001, 06:14 AM   #44
Kaz

So, why don't we open a recipe thread?
PS Only cooking recipes, or cakes + cookies too?

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-01-2001, 06:16 AM   #45
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
So, why don't we open a recipe thread?
PS Only cooking recipes, or cakes + cookies too?

Epona?

------------------

Proud new member of LH!
Old 09-01-2001, 06:21 AM   #46
Epona
Zartan

I'm still here just about - got a plumber coming to fix a leak so may have to dash off at any moment.

I'll open a thread though, for any type of recipes. Just off to do it now!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 09-01-2001, 08:05 AM   #47
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Sure, I go to sleep and miss a great thread. Jumping in a bit late, but here goes . . .

I used to work in a hotel restaurant in Madison, WI. I worked my way from waiting tables, through the kitchen, and into an assistant manager role. I love to cook.

As Yorick, I don't get much time to cook anymore and when I do make an elaborate meal, I realize how much I miss it.

- I use Cilantro when making salsa. My favorite spice is Basil.
- I don't like tea. I prefer coffee at just about any time.
- Yes, I've tried Baklava. I hate nuts, but for some reason Baklava is just enticing.

If there is any food I can't resist it is usually Mexican or Italian. I love tamales (no sauces or anything funny, just roasted chili pork in cornflour, wrapped in corn husks). I also like a good porketta roast (pork seasoned with garlic, fennel, and other spices).

I enjoy meatless dishes on occasion, but I usually default back to chicken. While working at the restaurant our Sous Chef once complimented me on being "able to make 100's of different dishes with chicken." I love zucchini, basted in olive oil, seasoned with garlic, oregano, and basil -- then grilled. Great stuff.

I too have thought about a "recipes by the board" thread (similar to the poems thing), but didn't know how much interest their would be.

Oh and I don't bake (that's the one thing my wife does in terms of cooking), but I love to make breads. I have never had any success making bagels (too complicated -- the turned out a mushy, boiled mess). I love to make cinnamon rolls and sometimes throw a bit of orange zest into the frosting for creativity.

Okay, I think I'm caught up now. This is great!

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:24 AM   #48
Kaz

Bagels are VERY complicated. The recipe is, although there are only 5 ingredients, 2 pages long! It is a more complicated bagel recipe than most bagel stores use, I think, but it tastes better too

BTW, everybody, Epona has declared (well she hasnt so I'll do it for her) the recipe thread to be OPEN

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-01-2001, 10:15 AM   #49
Moni

Good Morning Kaz!

There was a recipe thread already floating around here somewhere.
I'll see if I can find it.

I am a cook and one who enjoys eating good foods. Not into extremely spicy foods (hot anyway) I do love some good Chinese, Italian and Mexican dishes.

Teas used to be something of a past time for me when I was younger (Epona, Lapsang Shousong(sp)~Excellent tea!) but these days its pure cranberry based juices and Dr Pepper only. (I damaged a kidney in an auto accident and it is now sensitive to teas, coffees and alcohols...my three former favorites LOL)

Let me see if I can find tht thread, if it hasn't been bumped already.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-01-2001, 10:21 AM   #50
Kaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Good Morning Kaz!

There was a recipe thread already floating around here somewhere.
I'll see if I can find it.

I am a cook and one who enjoys eating good foods. Not into extremely spicy foods (hot anyway) I do love some good Chinese, Italian and Mexican dishes.

Teas used to be something of a past time for me when I was younger (Epona, Lapsang Shousong(sp)~Excellent tea!) but these days its pure cranberry based juices and Dr Pepper only. (I damaged a kidney in an auto accident and it is now sensitive to teas, coffees and alcohols...my three former favorites LOL)

Let me see if I can find tht thread, if it hasn't been bumped already.

Good afternoon (man this time differential is annoying) Moni!
Nice to see you!! *hugs*
Epona's already started a new recipe thread. You can check it if you want, I am frantically trying to find my famous cheesecake recipe (aww, I KNEW I had it somewhere...)

------------------

I am the great Kazara