Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2002, 03:49 PM   #1
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

ok, im an avid AD&D player like im sure most of us are. i have only one question. in the players handbook (PHB) it says that in order for a human do dual-class, he needs at least a 15 in his/her first class, and at least a 17 in his/her second class prime requisites. so how the hell is it that so many dual-classed characters DONT meet those requirements in BG,BG2,TOB, or in the world of characters created for novels, games, etc.? for instance, Anomen has only a 14 in wisdom, until he passes his test, then gets a 16!? (if im not mistaken). Artemis Entreri, a fighter/thief has only 13 for strength and an 18 for dex. Alicia Kendrick has a strength of 10, wisdom of 14, and charisma of 16, yet went from a fighter, to a druid just to name a few. my question is, if these are the rules for the game, then why are so many characters completely "unlegit" i know that the rulebooks are only meant to be used as a guidline, but shouldnt tsr practice what they preach? by the way, these characters can be found in the heroes lorebook, and villains lorebook respectively.

and while im on the subject of stats, check this out!! i know that some of these characters are meant to be heroes, but some of these stats are just plain RIDICULOUS!!!

Dove FalconHand\14th level ranger
(formerly 9th level mage/4th level thief)
one of the seven sisters of the chosen of Mystra

Str-17
Dex-16
Con-25(13)
Int-18
Wis-17
Chr-16

her weapons profs. are as follows:
ALL bows, ALL swords, dagger (thrown and wielded)

non weapon profs:
an indefinate number. INDEFINATE NUMBER!!!!???

Elminster
29th level mage
one of the chosen of Mystra

Str-13
Dex-18
Con-14
Int-18
Wis-18
Chr-17

if psionics are used, he has access to ALL attack and defense modes, and has 266 PSP's!!!

Ren o' The Blade
13th level human ranger

Str-18/08
Dex-17
Con-17
Int-16
Wis-14
Chr-17

i mean, come on what the hell is up here. did i miss something in the different ways to get stats or something. one or two 17's and an 18, two 18's and a 16, hell three 17's i can understand, but come on. am i the only one that see's this stuff, or am i just reading too much into it? personally, i would LOVE to have a character like that in an actuall AD&D campaign. my best character has 2 18's, but NOTHING like what these people have. and that is to name a few. there are ALOT more too. bah, oh well.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:58 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Are all those characters in the Baldurs Gate series? Can you please tell me where you found Artemis and Dove?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:05 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well both Dove and Elminster are favored by MYSTRA for pete's sake! What did you expect them to have for stats? 12's across the board?

LOL

As for the "illegal" dual class characters ... just consider the authors / creaters of those characters to be the DM's of the Forgotten Realms and remember the two prime rules of PnP game play.

Rule #1 - The DM is always right

Rule #2 - When in doubt, see rule #1.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:13 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Well, as for insanely high stats.....

My bragging character is a Half-Elven Cleric/Mage. It took me about 20 mins. to roll this, but I finally got her stats of
STR- 6
DEX- 18
CON- 15
INT- 18
WIS- 18
CHA- 18

I gave the Tomes of STR and DEX to other folks, but gave the rest of them to her. Add in the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and the Helm of Glory, and at the end of BG1, she had the best legit stats I've ever seen:
STR- 100)
DEX- 18
CON- 16
INT- 19
WIS- 21
CHA- 20
Holy Schneikeys! AC of -6, by the way (-4 if she's casting Mage spells.)

But as for the NPCs, and other characters in the TSR world, I don't really know. I think BioWare deliberately made NPCs that didn't adhere to the same rules as your PC (such as Coran having a 3rd star in Bow, or Mazzy being able to Lay on Hands), so that each character would be more multidimensional and therefore more interesting.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:52 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Well, if you were to author your own Forgotten Realms novel, design your own gaming module, or be personal friends with the designers of the game/fantasy world, then your character could be a rule-bending maniac, too. I mean, the only reason that everyone thinks that Drizzt is the world's best sword-master is that R. A. Salvatore wrote his books that way (and wrote them first). Elminster is a demigod because he is Ed Greenwood's personal creation (any similarity to Gandalf is purely coincidental.... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) Anyone can do it! I was once in a game where my character was a dual-class monk/mage....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:56 AM   #6
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i agree with those statements, im simply saying that for the most part, those characters are GODS in their own right. dont get me wrong, they are great characters, however if i were to post some of the characters that i have made, im sure someone would acuse them of being illiget. (spelling?) all im saying is, if there are rules that are writen, then they are writen for a reason. to go against what you write is just hypocritical. hell, who DOESNT like Elminster?! Dove is an awesome character too. Entreri is my favorite character of all time even with his "illegal" stats. i had a dm who gave all characters an AUTOMATIC 18 to their prime-requisites. that is all fine and good, but when you play a thief/mage like i did, i had a thief with a dex of 18, int of 18, plus the 16, 15, 15 that i rolled up (after six rolls of course) the character didnt last too long regardless, do to bad roleplaying on my part. anyway my ranting and raving is just to ask if i was the only one that noticed these inconsistancies with the rules and characters of D&D? never did i clown on any of the characters stated previously, i like the majority of them (cant stand regis though, heh)just wanted to know that information is all. thanx
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 01-09-2002, 01:00 AM   #7
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

dreamer, you know good and well that those characters arent in this series. at least you should with over 1700 posts. i was asking a D&D question, in a D&D forum. no need to get anal about whether i was on the right board. nobody was hurt or offended, and i dont post in the wrong rooms very often. so please, dont be rude. if it wasnt meant that way, then im in the wrong and wholeheartedly appologize. thanx
Old 01-09-2002, 12:30 PM   #8
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
dreamer, you know good and well that those characters arent in this series. at least you should with over 1700 posts.

What the hell does my number of posts have to do with my knowledge of the game? True, i know SOA inside out but i'm not a big expert on the other games and when they are as large as this it is easy to miss something(I never noticed Drizzt in BG1 until I read his location here). I was asking a normal question and I get an extremly rude responce in return.
Oh well, at least i got my answer
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:04 PM   #9
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

you asked if they were in the game, yet you say you know it inside and out?! all i was saying was with that many posts, OBVIOUSLY you know the game well, and should know that dove falconhand and artemis entreri are not in it. that is all i was getting at. i meant absolutely no offense, and if it came out harsh i appologize.