Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2002, 03:06 AM   #1
The Real Joel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey all, i was just wondering what alignment everyone follows or has followed. Also what they think is the best one to be
Ive always been good, i just cant refuse the praise!

I was also wondering how evildoers can get through the swordcoast, you know high prices, high security yada yada.
Besides the obvious way of killing and stealing how do you manage?
Old 09-27-2002, 03:39 AM   #2
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Evil is interesting, but you have to walk a line around the 8-15 mark for party reputation. That way you can carry on as normal and still pay average prices. Also, the party can be mixed without causing any upset. Playing good or evil in BG has always been about maintaining balance as far as the party is concerened. In fact balance is more important to these guys than Druids - they can run around quite happily along as your Rep. doesn't fall to 1 or 2.

Besides, 'Good vs Evil' is a fantastic television show.

[ 09-27-2002, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 09-27-2002, 04:22 AM   #3
Jan

I follow both good and evil [img]graemlins/chaos.gif[/img] . That way I can try both the good and the evil boys and girls [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] . If I'm playing evil and items get to expensive then I just steal/steal and sell and go to the temples and pay some gold. Raise the rep. that way . I did this in BGII. Worked very well .

It just bothered me a little that I could steal everything from a merchant and the poor man/woman still wanted to show me his stock [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] . It didn't feel right [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2002, 05:36 AM   #4
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

I enjoy playing a neutral based party. CN has got to be the king of alighnments. Anything goes! The game is geared towards the good alighnments and it is easier to play it as such. Every now and again, it is such fun being the scourge of the Sword Coast instead of it's savior.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 07:14 AM   #5
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

While the majority of the characters that I play are good characters I try to keep a party with a mixture of good and evil to keep the game interesting for me.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:02 AM   #6
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

Mixing good and evil characters does keep things interesting for me also. But I primarily use a good alligned team, especially Chaotic Good. That way, I do good deeds, but I can bend the rules if I want to.
Grimslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 10:04 AM   #7
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I've always played Lawful Good characters because, well I like the praises and the cheap goods. And I always had good party members that loved the high rep. But as I've been on this forum, I've been able to learn more about the game and the role playing within the game. With limited gaming time, I have been hesitant to experiment. But thanks to this forum, I'm going to try playing the not so good side of BG. But I'm deciding if I should go with a neutral type with a balanced party, or should I go evil? Or should I do both, and start two new games? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

[ 09-27-2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Keraptisdm ]
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 10:22 AM   #8
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

Well first off I would like to send a shout out to all of my Chaotic good brothers and sisters out there in the forum. I also believe that this is the alignment to be because although the character is basically good at heart he can be a wild card. If we all had alignments in real life I believe that I would be Chaotic good.

Now on to the remarks of my brother in arms Krep...If I may be so bold as to offer advice...If I were in your shoes (read that:beginning to experiment with limited time to play) I would try a mixed partyof good, neutral and evil folks. Sure you have to keep an eye on your Rep (8-15 like Lord Brass stated earlier) but it allows you to try anything in the game with a clean conscious.

If I may be further emboldend then I would also suggest playing a character type and race that you have never played before. I went out on a limb this attempt through by using a halfling Fighter/Thief and I have to be honest I am having a BALL.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:26 AM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have played with both a good and evil party. Good is great the first time through the game as you are not concerned with how high your rep is.

Second time through I was evil [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img] evil is more difficult has you have to watch your reputation although you can also reap the rewards by getting extra experiance and gold and it is just difficult to go agaist ones true character. If you are playing evil I recommend sending your reputation to the toilet once just to experiance what it is like to be chased from town to town. [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img] I played evil so I could cover and look at the game in a whole new perspective because it is different.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote