Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 03:26 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Should an elderly white collar crim be handcuffed? Should they be sent to prison at all?

If the punishment were to fit the crime, would not having their assets and money conficated and distributed to victims be adequate without incarceration?

Does the mind boggling maze of money trails make such punishment impossible? Is prison the only alternative?

Is prison rehabilitating them? Preventing them from recommitting? Prtoecting society? Providing a deterrant for these white collar crimes?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-01-2002, 07:33 AM   #2
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I think, by putting them in prison, there is a deterrent. I think that a prison sentence makes the next ones think a little harder about what they are doing. I also agree that seizing their assets and re-distributing them to the victims of their abuse is a very good idea as well.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:20 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
We're gonna need a lot of extra prisons then. We're talking lawyers, businessmen, insurancecompanies, politicians, priests, etc.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:24 AM   #4
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I dont think age should make a difference at all. True that a 20 year sentence to a 65 year old crook is most likely going to turn out to be life. Too bad. Look at the liveS they have ruined destroyed ect. Marriages fail because of finances more than any other reason. I wouldnt feel pity on any white collar crook that ruined my life and ended my marriage just so he could have a bigger bank account, new boat, flashy car ect.

Return the money AND go to prison. Anything less is a slap on the wrist. And no I dont care if the guy says "Sorry". They made laws like this to protect the public. They should be enforced like any other law.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:35 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Most "white collar" crimes are felonies: embezzlement, fraud, insider trading, etc. Since these are crimes, why shouldn't these people go to prison?
Once you have any sort of felony history you are forbidden from participating in almost any financial service/industry. This keeps white-collar criminals from committing more such crimes. This also protects society, because it prevents the loss of billions of dollars (such as what happened with the Savings & Loan failures of the late 1980s/early 1990s).

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:11 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Earthdog, I really liked what you said in your post! I just wanted to show my support!