Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2002, 04:59 PM   #21
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Neb, givent he amount of time they took to make WC3 I dont want to wait 4 years for SC2 just so they can have a new engine. It would be a waste anyway, Who cares what the underlying engine is? The game is what counts and if re-using the engine results in a better game in less time they should go for it.
I don't want to see Warcraft III in space [img]tongue.gif[/img] I want to see Starcraft 2. If they use the same engine then all we'll get is Warcraft III with different units. I agree that WC2 and SC had a lot in common in their engines, but it was NOT the same engine.

"This is not Warcraft in space!"
Old 07-20-2002, 05:01 PM   #22
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

oh my god!

the screenshot does not look very much, but the thought of STARCRAFT TWO!!!!!

jesus... this better not be teaser. I havent bought neither NWN nor WC3 yet... this news is definately the coolest!
Old 07-20-2002, 05:17 PM   #23
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
And they would NOT use the WCIII engine for SC2. I do NOT believe that.

Anyway, I've heard somewhere that Blizzard wasn't going to make an SC2 at all.....
Of course they will make a Starcraft II are you mongo or something?
That million money maker do they not let go easly you knove Neb and to use the War III angine is NOT a bad idea because it looks like it have WERY big potensiale to make a GREAT StarCraft II with it if they improove it a lot then StarCaft II would not be a Warcraft III in the space i think at all, and look at Warcraft II and Starcraft they are not alike at all but they used the same engine on those two.
And to build a new engine for StarCraft II is a waist of money i think and to make a engine cost tons of money so i dont think they do that at all, i hope not.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:25 PM   #24
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
quote:
And they would NOT use the WCIII engine for SC2. I do NOT believe that.

Anyway, I've heard somewhere that Blizzard wasn't going to make an SC2 at all.....
Of course they will make a Starcraft II are you mongo or something?
That million money maker do they not let go easly you knove Neb and to use the War III angine is NOT a bad idea because it looks like it have WERY big potensiale to make a GREAT StarCraft II with it if they improove it a lot then StarCaft II would not be a Warcraft III in the space i think at all, and look at Warcraft II and Starcraft they are not alike at all but they used the same engine on those two.
And to build a new engine for StarCraft II is a waist of money i think and to make a engine cost tons of money so i dont think they do that at all, i hope not.
[/QUOTE]If Blizzard can't make up a good plot for SC2, they won't make it. They simply can NOT risk making even a single bad game. They'll wreck their rep, and their rep is what accounts for a good deal of their sales I bet.

Warcraft 2 and Starcraft did NOT use the same engine.

Notice: Raised ground implemented in SC, water-terrain removed in SC. That in itself is a pretty huge change.

SC2 using WC3's engine WOULD be Warcraft in space, or at least just Warcraft with new units.
Old 07-20-2002, 06:18 PM   #25
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
SC using the WC2 engine was the first and only time that Blizzard has ever re-used an engine, and even then it looked to me that it suffered some major changes. Like raised ground being implemented and sea units being removed. So I doubt that they'll use the same engine again
Hmm
Quote:
Warcraft 2 and Starcraft did NOT use the same engine.
??

Quote:
Warcraft II and Starcraft they are not alike at all but they used the same engine on those two.
Quote:
Notice: Raised ground implemented in SC, water-terrain removed in SC. That in itself is a pretty huge change.
Because the engine was Innprooved also customized same engine as they used in war II! LOL

And i think they have a WERY good plot for the game they are not a bunch of empty headed people over there you knove.

But i dont want to disscus this with you anyway because we cannot agree here anyway.

[ 07-20-2002, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-20-2002, 07:12 PM   #26
Neb

Quote:
Hmm
"Hmm"? What do you mean by "hmm"?

Quote:
[QB]??
???

Quote:
[QB]

Because the engine was Innprooved also customized same engine as they used in war II! LOL
I will NOT believe that it was the same engine, it looked a lot like it, but it wasn't. For one thing the point of view was a bit changed, too. The engines might have had quite a bit in common, but I severely doubt that it was the same.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
[QB]

And i think they have a WERY good plot for the game they are not a bunch of empty headed people over there you knove.

But i dont want to disscus this with you anyway because we cannot agree here anyway.
Their intelligence doesn't decide whether they can think up a good plot. I know that they're a lot of intelligent people, but perhaps they're just unable to think up a good continuation. They'll need a good plot twist, just having the Zerg/Protoss hybrids rampage across the galaxy is too much like the demons in Warcraft 3. And they can't just have the three original races keep on battling each other, either, that's already taken up one game and one expansion, now.

They'll need something a bit new.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:29 PM   #27
andrewas
Harper

Whether or not WC2 and SC use the same engine is irrelevant - I think they did, with a fair amount of tweaking. But these days an engine is a fairly massive investment, and the common design philsophy is to make one versatile engine and use it for as many games as possible.

I think blizzard will make SC2 - with the probably sales figures theyd be idiots not to - and they will probably use the WC3 engine. This will not neccesarily make it warcraft in space, since the look of the game and unit balance will be based on SC. Which means squads of cloaked wraiths and such. Wonder if Terran Battlecruisers and Protoss Carriers will be to scale this time?
Old 07-20-2002, 09:03 PM   #28
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

Yeah, I hope they get things more to scale.

And I always thought that the Battle Cruiser should have multiple turrents with alot more firepower along with the Yamato Cannon. As a trade off to its increased firepower, w/multiple turrents, the cost should increase. I always thought that if it was a Battle Cruiser then it should be more battleish, with multiple turrents like a real capital ship would have.

In response the Protoss Carrier should have increased firepower, maybe with more intercepters, that were more advanced, and could swarm a enemy to death. Agian the cost should be increased.

That would make two (almost) super-units, with high costs, that could wipe out a enire base. But are also possible to destroy with anti-air, so as they arn't indestructable. They should have some sort of weakness to balance out their strength OTHER than high cost, cause that wouldn't stop many players.

The Zerg shouldn't get a super-unit. I always imagined them swarming their enimies, (hence "The Swarm") not having a all-powerful unit. What would be cool, is the Zerg could infest UNITS. Maybe the Queen could do it, kinda like the Dark Archon's mind control, but once infested the units properties change.

What do you guys think??
Or don't tell me. I'm just rambling.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:13 PM   #29
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

hehe...same engine as warcraft 3. it's just an easter egg. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2002, 04:08 AM   #30
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Originally posted by Deathbringer:
I'm not saying 3D RTS's are bad, I'm saying they don't sell as well.
Because they are too complicated and they eat your babies,
Thing is, many people seem to prefer a “cosy” 2d or 2d style game,
to a really complicated and sophisticated 3d one.
[/QUOTE]Ah.. someone who understands me. This was what I was trying to point out.