Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 04:51 PM   #1
durendale
Welcomed New User

After I slaughter Lysan the Ice Priestess in the vale of shadows (and her yeti friends) a shadow/spectre appears at the top of the screen and control gets taken away from me. Like the whole interface is sort of shadowed out. But time is still passing and the characters are still animated, they complain that I'm not doing anything.... the spectre just sits there and never says anything! It's like it's locked up.

Anybody ever see that -- is there a way to fix it?

durendale
durendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 05:33 AM   #2
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

I had a similar problem, but without losing control o fmy characters. Finally i realised that the spectre couldnt talk to me cause my characters were silenced by Lysan (she had cast "silence" spell). Check if your characters are silenced, other than this, i dont know what might be the problem.

luck !!

------------------

You up ?? Beware !! When falling, better fall from down
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 10:30 PM   #3
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Have you downloaded and installed the patch for the game? While I didn't have that problem I always wait till the patches come out before I load and run a game. seems to just work better that way. I have few problems.
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/icewind/index.shtml

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 05-13-2001).]
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 10:45 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The first time, that happened to me, and I restarted the game, and the second time I went through ok...

------------------

Larry, a Loyal Guardian of the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 04:44 PM   #5
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

if restarting and retrying doesn't help, try removing the "override" folder from its directory, then reload the game to see if it helps (that solves a lot of game freezes)

Durendal, isn't that the name of a sword?
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 08:23 AM   #6
Valoran
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Don't know if you still need help but I heard that unless you are on the same screen as the Spirit when it appears the game can crash. Try to ensure you kill Lysan close to where the spirit appears at the top of the cave.
Valoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 09:24 AM   #7
durendale
Welcomed New User

Sorry it took so long to reply -- it was the silence problem! Lysan is history...

Yes, the name of the sword Durendale comes from The Song of Roland:

"In the name, chansons de geste given to l'épée marvellous of Roland, nephew of Charlemagne.

This sword, that nothing could break, is called Durendart on l'inscription of the statue of Roland with Vérone. According to legends', it would have been conquered by Roland on the son to l'émir Agolant, Eaumont, or it would have been given to him by Charlemagne, which l'aurait itself received d'un angel to reward more the brave man d'entre his knights. In the Song of Roland, the hero, wounded with death, eager to withdraw it from Buckwheats, in vain tries to break it on the rock. The popular legends tell that perforated of Roncevaux, still called the breach of Roland, above the circus of Gavarnie (Hautes-Pyrénées), was the result of this effort."

durendale
durendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 02:15 PM   #8
Chipz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You're right. The problem seems to be with the pathfinding algorithm. The shadow can't quite figure out how to get to your party. I believe this problem occurs more than once in the game but this bug _is_ fixed in the latest patch.

------------------

// Chipz
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 08:28 PM   #9
Norfleet
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There is another "shadowed dialogue" bug in the game: If you kill an NPC who would normally give a spiel before he has the opportunity to give his spiel, the game will lock up in permanent dialogue mode since the guy who's supposed to give his spiel has been killed to death. Particularly apparent with Malavon, since if you have a fairly beefy fighter/thief armed with a fairly hefty weapon and the 19 str girdle, you can sometimes kill Malavon in a single critical hit backstab. Well, it *SEEMED* like a reasonably good plan for saving the gnomes at the time.
Norfleet is offline   Reply With Quote