Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2001, 02:52 PM   #1
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

Ok guys I just wanted to ask a few things and I'm sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before but I could not find them.

1.What is THACO?

2.Ultimately, can EVIL characters be as successful as GOOD characters

3.Is the monk a good class to advance in

4.In the original baldurs gate I only saw this amazingly fast DRIZT O DRIZTEN once and he wanted me to help him kill some ogres. Is it wrong that I only saw him then?

I've completed Baldurs Gate, Killed Saverok and all, Got very near to finishing BG2 and stopped, I am restarting now.

5. Is BG2 better than ICEWIND DALE

6.Does the expansion pack add a lot to gameplay?

If anyone could answer these questions I would be very grateful
Old 07-13-2001, 03:04 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Welcome to the Forums!
MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD>>
>>
>>
>>
>>1. To Hit Armor Class 0. This is the chance that your character will hit an opponent with an armor class of 0. Anything above 0 you subtract from the THAC0, anything below 0 you add to the THAC0.

2. Yes, ultimately, playing evil characters is a lot more vast in options and you can get into the game more.

3. Monks are some of the best classes in BG2, I feel they should make it a requirement for every party.

4. Drizzt Do'Urden (sp?) appears in BG1 and wants you to help him kill some Gnolls. He appears in BG2, but much later than he did in BG1.

5. I'm not sure about this one. Icewind Dale is supposed to be a very good game, and has a lot of things different from BG, but I think most people would say BG2 is the better of the two.

6. Not that much. Remember, it is just an expansion. It adds one place you must visit, called Watcher's Keep.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:05 PM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Hello IntrospectiveIdeals

To answer (some of) your questions

1) THACO is To Hit Armor Class 0. In otherwords...if your THACO is 10, then you would need to roll a 10 or higher on a 20 sided dice to hit someone with an armor class of 0

2) I think they can, but if the rep gets to high, they start complaining

3) have never played a monk

4) Drizzt is a character in the Forgotten Realms series and yes it is normal to see him just this one time. You will get to see him again in BGII

5) never played Icewind Dale, but BG is awesome so I assume so

6) Yes and Yes to both expansion packs. I believe both of them were written for about 40 additional hours of gameplay

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 03:08 PM   #4
Marcus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1) THACO stands for 'To Hit Armor Class 0', which is sort of a middle of the road armor class. This is the roll necessary on a 20 sided die for your character to be able to hit a creature with that armor class. Seems that a LOT of creatures in SOA/TOB have MUCH better than a 0 armor class, however...

2) I have not finished the game with my evil party. I think it depends how you play it. In general, however, I would say the game is more challenging for an evil party. Especially if you act evil and kill a few people who you don't like. Those gank squads of Amnish soldiers and Cowled wizards aren't fun if you're not fully built up...

3) Monks are great to advance in. They probably gain the most power from advancing out of any class. Between their numerous special abilities, armor class improvements, and raw damage they can inflict with their bare hands, they are great once they get a few levels on them. Plus it's a lot of fun to watch them kick your enemies in the head...

4) You won't see Drizzt again until fairly late in Shadows of Amn.

5) I never played Icewind Dale, though I understand it is more linear than SoA.

6) I'm working through the Throne of Bhaal now. I'll let you know when I do...

Old 07-13-2001, 03:13 PM   #5
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

Thankyou so much for your help people just a few more tedious questions then we can chat about some decent stuff.

1.So an evil character can be wicked, even though he gets charged more at shops can't win people over and gets attacked by guards etc?

2.When I roll for my characters stats, what number should I be aiming for, 90?

3.With the whole Armour Class thing, can I basically understand it as the lower the armour class, the smaller the chance of being hit? I got -8 in Baldurs Gate, thing is I could have got higher but its so annoying when magical equipment you are wearing prevents u from wearing other equipment.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:18 PM   #6
Nanobyte

1. Yes, that is what makes the game more vast in options. Kill everyone, kill a few people, kill one or two.. Being evil never was so fun.

2. That depends on the character. I think Mages get the most skill points to put into your stats. Just try for high numbers. It basically depends on the minimum requirements. If they have a lot of minimum req. that are around 9-12 then your number won't be so high. If a lot of them are around 3-6, then you'll have tons of points to distribute.

3. Basically, yes. But magic will hit you, unless it requires you to use saves. And if an opponent gets a critical, that hits you no matter what.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:21 PM   #7
Marcus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1) As an character performs 'evil' acts, his reputation drops. This has the effect of higher prices in the stores, making good NPCs unhappy with you, and (if your reputation gets low enough) organized squads of guards and wizards attacking you. IF you keep yourself under control, however, and use quests, temples, etc to moderate your reputation, this won't be so much of a problem.

2) The highest I've ever seen is a 93 total for my attributes. I would say 90+ would be a very good character.

3) You are correct about Armor Class. 10 is the worst (meaning you get hit the most). -10 is excellent, if you can find a way to get that low, or even lower...
Old 07-13-2001, 03:24 PM   #8
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

I also have a kind of dilemma. Is it true that you can use your character from BG1 and take him to BG2. &$£!& I just deleted BG1!!!

Will I be ok just having my new BG2 monk.

What weapon class should I get my monk to be proficient in? I was thinking as he has thieving abilities, short swords would be good for backstabing.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:26 PM   #9
Nanobyte

Yes, it is better to take a character from BG1 to BG2, but that's OK. The only characters you can't get from BG1 that are in BG2 (meaning can't subclass them from anything) are Monks, Barbarians, and Sorcerers. Um, no. I would advise slings. A Monk has no need for swords, as his melee damage is awesome. A sling helps him do some ranged attack.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:28 PM   #10
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

But surely its unfair? If u just take in a level 20 mage from BG1 then the game is so easy. Isn't part of the challenge starting again?