Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Okay guys, most of you have traveled through each level MANY times, and know every nook and battle. I'm going to be putting a hints and tips page on our Escape from Undermountain website for others to get help, so I would REALLY love it if you could post some!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

They can be specific battle/encounter tips or questing tips, or even general ones too! No spoilers though [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Can't wait to see some of your replies!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

A high spot skill will allow you to see many hidden doors in Skullport.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Ravenbear
Dungeon Master

Find yourself a wand of Mord's disjuction it really it makes those battles with wizards like those on 3rd and 6th lvl much easier.

If you are on lvl 4 and in a group don't turn the undead cause all you have to do is chase them down.
If solo might be the only way to get thur.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

A Amulet of Clearing can make the sneakiest rogue even sneakier.

Get yourself plenty of bags of holding. Undermountain is full of rare and powerful items. Even the strongest half Orc can carry everything with out a few bags of holding.

Talk to Everyone. Almost every NPC will have something to say. Some will even have quests for you to perform.

If you can not defeat certain enemies on a level I would not recommend going any deeper. The fights just get tougher.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think the best tip I could offer is to party up, when ever possible. For xp purposes, it would be better to keep party members at around the same lvls, but by all means, if you can join someone going the same way, do so. It could save your life.
Guess there are two best tips; open everything!!! You never know what's going to be in a box, chest, barrel, or dresser drawer. I have completely equipped new chars this way, plus made a few golders to supplement with.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Wow, I figured we would get a load of posts in this thread... come on guys! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

There is not that much to say for this game in ways of tips and hints. As far as I can recall, the main things to remember would be the following:

1) be kind to your fellow explorers. they may be instrumental to your survival in ways you may not expect.

2) don't be afraid to experiment a little with different weapons and items found while exploring. you never know what you may find works best for you until you discover it (usually by accident).

3) play to your strengths. cover up your weaknesses with the proper magical devices. (for mages, get those belts of Giant Strength. TRUST ME. sooner or later you are going to get into a fist fight, and you'll love that extra beef.)

4) as stated above - get plenty of bags of holding. even if you find nothing you can use, you can always SELL IT FOR GOLD! that's right, people, the Undermountain economy is thriving, and when people leave stuff behind, take advantage of it and hawk it to buy those items you want for yourself.

5) for newer players - always, Always, ALWAYS check Durnan's for new items sold off by players whom have wandered to the lower dungeons. the same rule goes for hitting up Skullport and the store upstairs in Durnan's Inn. one never knows what you'll find left there by someone who couldn't use something (or has it already).

6) don't be afraid to get henchmen. Cookie is great for starting non-fighter characters. whatever weapons you don't feel like using, just lay them on him. he'll be MORE than happy to bust heads for you. for those non-magical types, Roddybug is the man to call on. He'll lay waste to your foes without flinching. oh, and be sure to stock them up with Potions of Heal and the like. you don't want them dying on you in the middle of a fight.

7) if you get stuck on a quest, don't be afraid to ask around. some times there are little tricks you have to accomplish in order to get a job done. other times, it is a matter of hunting down one person to finish your task. whatever it may be, someone has probably done it before you.

8) regardless of your character builds, GET DODGE. why? if you have to ask, get someone mad enough at you to throw shoes. let one hit you. then ask yourself the question of why DODGE is important.

9) save your character. you never know when you may want to take your build offline and into one of your own games. some of the items may not carry over, though, so you may want to completely unequip yourself first and then save. (remember, this game uses the CEP.)

10) as one other person mentioned, SPOT is good. yes, hidden doors abound, and they may lead you to places you never fathomed existed.

11) always have at least one long distance weapons available to you at all times. just trust me on this.

12) have at least one weapon in your arsenal that specializes in UNDEAD. unless you intend to join them, you will have to fight them. often.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

1) Stay out of Waterdeep until you've spent some time the inn and Undermountain's 1st and 2nd levels.

2) Take the advice of the Brave Sir Robin: run away. And eat your minstrels.

3) Be nice to your fellow adventurers and they shall be nice unto you.

Not exactly a font of wisdom, but I'll add more as it occurs to me.

[ 03-31-2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Mopery ]
Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Pharun in skullport sells a certain item that can really help the non rogues amonst us with traps.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Mozenwrathe:
There is not that much to say for this game in ways of tips and hints.
Oh really? I think there are tons of hints and tips people can come up with. Ways to take out each boss, what items are good, and so on....

Come now, give the game some credit (a VISA gold would be nice)