Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Elric of Melnibone
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm curious as to why equipment prices increase as one's reputation decreases. I understand the logic behind the general increase in costs, however, shouldn't you hit a limit, at which point merchants become too scared to inflate their prices? How am I supposed to believe that Ribald or Deirdre (or any other merchant) will be comfortable selling their goods at exhorbitant prices to an individual who may kill them outright, while giving "discounts" to the "goody two-shoes" characters? Seems like a curvilinear relationship should exist such that prices are lowest for characters with reputations at both extremes, and then increase for individuals with reputations in the middle. Any thoughts?
Elric of Melnibone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Coz 99% of the time, the bad guys are robbing them blind (ala stealing). [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

That makes a lot of sense. Perhaps actually having the stock of the store accessible in chests or on the person in the manner of morrowind would solve the problem. Evil characters could kill to get them, people roleplaying good characters would never do that.

The problem is implementing it so that this doesn't make the game too easy, as with enough effort any party could kill a shopkeeper and not everybody roleplays in a strict fashion either. Also, i suppose that would penalise good players as well for having to pay. Would be much more realistic though.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
Odruith
The Magister

Hmm. That wouldn't really be a good idea.

Most good players would then have to do tons of quests and save up to afford Ribald's things.

While an evil player with some anti-magic buffers could stroll in and kill him with some ease [img]tongue.gif[/img]
It would be rather unbalanced considering... That and even chaotic evil characters shouldn't be stupid enough to kill a well known shopkeeper/adventurer like Ribald right in the middle of Athkatla since he'd probably be tracked down by multitudes of guards ;P
Odruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
And old friends who would avenge him... The halfling lass and half-elven Harper come to mind.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

The solution is already here [img]smile.gif[/img]

Go to http://www.users.bigpond.com/qtnt/index.htm and download the updated Store Prices mod, seems to solve the problem completely [img]smile.gif[/img]

From the readme file:

"- Reputation values of 8, 9 , 10, 11, 12 and 13 results in no discounts: items are sold at their original prices.

- Every value lower or higher then 8 and 13, respectively, means the party receives a 5% discounts. This reaches a maximum of 35% - meaning that the party only pay for 65% of the item's original prices - at reputation values of 1 and 20."

Sorted
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:49 PM   #7
Elric of Melnibone
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
The solution is already here [img]smile.gif[/img]

Go to http://www.users.bigpond.com/qtnt/index.htm and download the updated Store Prices mod, seems to solve the problem completely [img]smile.gif[/img]

From the readme file:

"- Reputation values of 8, 9 , 10, 11, 12 and 13 results in no discounts: items are sold at their original prices.

- Every value lower or higher then 8 and 13, respectively, means the party receives a 5% discounts. This reaches a maximum of 35% - meaning that the party only pay for 65% of the item's original prices - at reputation values of 1 and 20."

Sorted
Thanks Shamrock! This is exactly what I was talking about. Nice to know someone else had the same idea.
Elric of Melnibone is offline   Reply With Quote