Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2002, 01:51 PM   #1
Sigmar
Unicorn

Nice friendly open minded people on forums-obnoxious rude and arrogant on chatrooms.

Ever encountered this before? I have, people who you thought you knew adopt a whole new persona.

Are you the real you on the forums? Are you hiding any certain charateristic you posess to make you seem more appealing to onlookers, so that you might "fit in"? I know a user on an other forum who's a real jerk who expresses what he thinks,it might not be what you want to hear but it's him and his opinion. For that I respect him because he says what he thinks despite the risk of unpopularity. Sure it's nice to have an all time friendly atmosphere in forums but not if it comes at the cost of true indivduality. I've felt on a number of occasions if this person is really as friendly as he makes out to be or if someone is holding back.

Am I encouraging flaming? No.
Am I being a idiotic bigot? I hope not.

I admit to modifying my personality win certain situations (when confronting a troll I do not react as I would want to but as the TOS state I must).

Are you acting like the real you?

What is your opinion on this matter? I'm curious as to what others believe.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I can assure you that I'm just as crusty in real life as I am here.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-25-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Like Saz, I am crusty, and opinionated to boot.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:57 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

I yam what I yam and thats all that I yam....

I'm a yam! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 01:58 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I think so, in real life i talk all the time, sometimes maybe a little too much. Same thing here. And in chatrooms i'm the same as here, i don't have the need of putting up some masquerade.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:01 PM   #6
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Actually yeah I Do come off a little bit diffrent here then I do in RL, dont know why.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 08-25-2002, 02:03 PM   #7
MagiK

I am as much me here as I am anywhere [img]smile.gif[/img] Real life or cyber I am just me...or as Popeye put it..I yam what I yam and thats all that I yam. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I yam what I yam and thats all that I yam....

I'm a yam! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dang, you beat me to the Yam.....didnt see your post before I made my previous post [img]smile.gif[/img] For being on opposite sides of so many issues we have similar thoughts [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2002, 02:09 PM   #9
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

*shrugs* I don't know how I come across here, so I coulden't tell you.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:09 PM   #10
Sigmar
Unicorn

See people I was expecting these replies, no offene to anyone but you aren't going to say "Well I'm a jerk in real life and I act nice here so I can make friends". (not mocking anyone here, or being intentionally rude)

So let's take this in a differant direction, have you ever encountered anyone who seemed OK in forums but acted completely differant in chatrooms or in real life.

Sorry for confusing you folks.

[ 08-25-2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]