Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 09:37 AM   #1
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I have started to play this game again after a long absence because I'm thinking about writing a novelisation of it.

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop my party dying? Yes, my tank is great with a sword, has over 100 HP, but dies at the drop of a hat.

Cheers.
DS

PS He's an elven ranger, about lv 9 or 10?

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Better armour and weapons, perhaps?

How do your party look like? What classes? Where in the game are you?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Additionally, what difficulty level are you playing on?

Do you buff up your party before and during battles?

Do you make use of your healing items and spells?

Are you using the rights weapons against the appropriate enemies?
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

1) Give him the best armor/armor-enhancing items your party has, and a ring of Free Action.

2) Use movement-inhibiting spells (Grease, Entangle, Web, Slow) on melee opponents; you can set up a couple of these spells and walk forward through them with your Free Actioned tank then back when you draw some enemies.

3) Use summons-fodder to give your enemies some other targets in tough fights.

4) Cast Protection from Fire on your tank, draw some enemies, and Fireball/Flame Strike away. Use fire potions (Fiery Burning, Explosions) as well, even if you have to buy them.

5) If going up against good missile troops, use Protection from Normal Missiles; this is a tank-saver in the Severed Hand and against the tower archers in Lower Dorn's.

6) And I second the previous posts, especially about the buffing spells. Protection from Evil 10' is a spell I cast every day, right after resting. Long duration, pumps everyone's AC by 2, and protects from Charm spells. Use Defensive Harmony and potions before/during hard fights. Haste is good too, although the necessary rest afterward can be problematic and cause delays. Make sure you heal up your tank (to within 7 HP of full) after every fight, no matter how minor you think the next fight will be.

7) If you have the Boots of Speed or Boots of the Fox, give them to your tank. Then you can run around madly as a decoy in front of your party while everyone fires away. The extra speed should enable you to avoid the majority of hits by melee creatures. Cheesy, but it works.