Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2003, 07:16 AM   #1
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

hey people,

i'm not new to w&w, but i haven't bothered to join you guys until now ( i couldn't resist...i wouldn't mind downing a few boogre brews) but i have a question; what is the best race and starting class (and second class) to be/have for a solo game. thanks a lot,

btw, i have a high level female elf warlock....could i start the game just with her?? (if i reset...gasp!)

cheers,
Moiraine
Old 02-01-2003, 07:29 AM   #2
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

G'day moraine sedai,
You could reset with your high level elf but you might find the game too easy.
My solo game is with a wizard tiger. I chose that because of the night vision & the fact that only a wizard can get the high level stone magic early in the game.
I found that it made for a difficult start to the game but the charactor progressed very quickly.
I changed from wizard as soon as I got the high level stone magic. I forget which route I took but I tried to get to Barbarian asap so that I could get some serious hitpoints. I stayed at Barbarian for about 20 levels & I got enough hp to make the later parts of the game a breeze.
Good luck with your solo & keep us posted on its progress.
You should also take a look at Bungleau's Missy Hissy saga on this forum.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:45 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hello and Welcome to IW Moiraine Sedai. A fellow Aussie I see [img]smile.gif[/img] . I have met your namesake (there is a well known member called Moiraine that you will come across in GD) in real life when I went to Grenoble last year. I am sure the two of you will run into each other some time in the future.

OK - back on topic - best solo character - you could reset and start with your high level character, but that may seem pointless because she will probably be way overpowered.

Let me remember - I started a solo after my single play, but never completed it. There used to be a very good thread on solo plans, so a search based on solo might be a good idea.

I think I went for a priest first to get basic healing, quickly to a wizard and stayed for several levels - basically doing a lot of the easy quests and running away from things that would munch me. There was a certain stone spell I waited to get first (forget the level), then I went for the Barbarian for a level to add the lock pick skill - 2 levels there, then went for paladin and stayed there for several levels till I knew all the main healing spells. I think I went through Ranger (for the fletcher trait at about Surugeon Castle), and by about Erathsmador I switched to Warlock (stayed here a long time for spells and to use the amulets that the rats drop). From there I would have probably developed through the other roles for their traits, then onwards to the big super 3.

Well, that's what I remember at least - it's been a while.

[ 02-01-2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 02-01-2003, 07:53 AM   #4
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome to The Board, moiraine sedai !!!!

The beauty...of this game
......is...that ....anything goes.

Whats...the BEST...race and Class ?
...................nobody.......knows.

Different parties and/or characters...present different challenges...But, everything works. Reseting adventures...with a 'high level female elf warlock', should work out fine. You've already made it through the hardest part...starting with a solo warlock.

Have Fun...and KEEP US Posted.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:07 AM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Welcome to the board Moiraine Sedai. I guess IŽll have to put the sedai pasrt after your name not to confuse you with Moiraine. *sigh* LOL! I canŽt remember what Bungleau started with. Try doing a search on "Missy Hissy" and youŽll get some information. IŽve started 3 solo games and finished two of them in my distinguished W&W career. The first I think I started as an elf warrior. I made some crucial mistakes in that game not bothering to learn sun magic. The second I started as a pixie priest. IMHO that seems to be the ultimate starting class and race. You get the dodge trait and healing skills. The low strength is a major set back though, so if you do not like to run about (between dungeons and town to sell) in the beginning of the game skip the pixie. Finally I tried an elf wizard. A very nice combo in the beginning. A trifle harder in the serpent temple though, but once youŽre past that youŽll have no problems since magic in W&W is powerful indeed.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just an FYI...

Missy started, as a Ratling Warrior.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:40 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, moiraine sedai!!!

You can try just about anything in this game and, because the system is so flexible, make it work!

And don't fret about reset -

All your other saved games will not be "reset", they'll be just as you left them so as long as you don't save over your last and favorite saved game, you can always change your mind and go back to the way things were. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Have fun and do keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:09 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Missy did indeed start as a ratling warrior, and beyond a shadow of a doubt, I believe that a solo rogue is the hardest game to play. Why? You don't get guild access until Ishad N'ha, which you can't do until you finish the crypt. Much harder starting game, to be sure.

Any solo character is a challenge, but for an experienced gamer, it's really about the flavor of the challenge.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:30 AM   #9
Olli Kalma

Welcome to aboard!

I'll have saved game from the Shuregon Castle.
It's with Lysandra.

When I finish that game, I take savegame, let one of my party to get Vampire and then head into Boogre Prison...

Compleate it without touching Idol of Aku... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now we have Boogre Vampire! Then into solo game!

Keep Us posted how it's going !
Old 02-02-2003, 06:56 PM   #10
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Hello and welcome!
It is nice to see that I am not the only one who is hopelessly late to join a forum discussing so relatively old a game as Wizards & Warriors.
I would clearly suggest the warlock if that is the most skilled spellcaster you have. You do not have a zenmaster then? Or you do not at least plan on having one when finishing your current game? I believe the zenmaster would be your best bet.
By the way thank you for your tip about the boogre vampire, Ollie. I will keep that one in mind.