Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2002, 11:07 AM   #1
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

does anyone know much about their worth? the other day i found a con which i think is a thruppenny dated 1912 now i thought that it would probably be worthless but held onto it cos i thought it was kinda cool. anyone know anythin?
Old 08-03-2002, 11:10 AM   #2
Lord Shield

heh! I remember the 3p pieces as they were being phased out - just undner 20 years ago. doubt it's worth that much but who knows?

Old 08-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #3
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
heh! I remember the 3p pieces as they were being phased out - just undner 20 years ago. doubt it's worth that much but who knows?
nah i didnt think so i reckon ill keep it as a good luck charm
Old 08-03-2002, 07:57 PM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Yes it's worthless financially!

Sorry, but there are thousands of them in circulation and 1912 isn't old (I have quite a few that predate that and aren't worth anything).

My oldest coins are Roman - a silver one from AD240 and a bronze one from AD254 (worth about £20-£30 pounds each). The bronze one I view as a good luck charm tho cos it has the goddess Fortuna on the reverse, nice to have!

[ 08-03-2002, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 08-03-2002, 09:14 PM   #5
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

Sorry, but there are thousands of them in circulation and 1912 isn't old (I have quite a few that predate that and aren't worth anything).

My oldest coins are Roman - a silver one from AD240 and a bronze one from AD254 (worth about £20-£30 pounds each). The bronze one I view as a good luck charm tho cos it has the goddess Fortuna on the reverse, nice to have!
20 - 30??? wow i thought you would get more for a roman coin
Old 08-03-2002, 10:59 PM   #6
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Here's a funny story that was in the papers a few years back, a farmer found a coin in one of his fields marked somthing BC (cant remember the exact date). He thought he had hit it big and took it to the local museum, who just laughed at him and sent him on his way. The poor farmer hadn't cottoned on to the fact that it was said BC and was therefore a fake. (what makes me laugh is thinking of who ever made the coin lol)

P.S as to you question, sorry but its not worth anything, I used to collect coins my self when I was a bit younger and have hundreds of the things lying about.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:26 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Madman-Rogovich:
quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

20 - 30??? wow i thought you would get more for a roman coin[/QUOTE]The thing is that the Roman mints pumped out coins like there was no tomorrow, so most Roman coins are quite cheap. It's only the early ones that are really worth much.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:00 AM   #8
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

RE: Roman coins: Epona, as usual,is quite right. The things were buried in alarge lots (savings banks distrusted) so have a way of showing up on the market in large quantities. Gold, short lived Emperors (Heligobalus my favorite), famous historical figures (Julius Caesar very valuable, regardless of scarcity), are valuable. Conditioan very important. Actually, medieval coins are more valuable.