Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2001, 10:31 PM   #1
BlackRaven
Dungeon Master

I am so disappointed with the Wiz 8 "combat" mode that I'm at a loss for words. In Wizards and Warriors I could run away from combat if that seemed to be the prudent thing to do (such as the mantraps.) Anyone who's ever been in combat knows that sometimes you disengage and run like hell!

In this game though, as soon as an enemy is identified my knees lock up and I'm stuck there, even if the enemy is much slower than I am (like the vines.) That's not the worst of it. Even when the enemy runs away (yeah, they can) I'm still lock kneed until they get home or wherever it is they go. I just fought seven highwaymen, killed four and took a lot of damage, three "flee for their lives" and I had to sit here and watch the lives drain out of two of my people (poison) because I couldn't move or give them the cure poison (between charactors.) I couldn't even see the fleeing highwaymen, all I saw was one red dot on the very outer ring of the radar.

When I could finally move, I locked up again because some vines were a mile down the road or so.

If I sound Whiney/Bitchy it's because I've spent five hours trying to get down the Arnika road with level 6 charactors (no way to level up any further in the Monestery.)

Now that I've got that off my chest I think I'll go drink a beer and stew for awhile before trying again.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:29 PM   #2
hammermd
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, i have to agree that not being able to disengage from combat at will is the most annoying thing about the system overall...there should at least be a 'disengage distance' that allows you to go into peace mode once you've crossed the line...

Oh, well...about giving potions back and forth...can't you use the 'equip' action for that round to exchange things? I've never tried this, i guess, so i don't know...but you'd think you'd be able to pass things to another character if you're taking the whole round to rummage through yer backpack.

Anyhow, I really enjoy drinking beer and bitching, too...truth is, though, this is the best game i have played in a loooong time, and it's just fun to yak about it on these boards because everyone else seems to feel the same way!

hammermd

PS. my guys were 6th/7th level too, and Arnika road is really freaking hard. you can rest behind the house and never have an encounter (if you've found the house yet)...good luck
hammermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 11:51 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Why on earth don't you change to "continuous" mode and run like hell (hold down the SHIFT key while moving?)

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 12:19 AM   #4
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

If you would like two people to exchange items, such as cure poison, have both of them equip in the same turn. They can then both access the group stash and they can give each other stuff as well.

As for moving, while your enemies seem to have an advantage, you can move during combat. There is a picture of a person walking in the lower right corner. When you click on it, your will be given a choice to walk, run or exit out of the move. You move at the speed of the slowest character, but you can move/run away if you want.

Good Luck

Knarfling