Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2002, 03:00 PM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

Hi, i just thought of making a monk but it`s really difficult to choose the stats and race. When i press on "recommended", it buffs up Wisdom but what does it do to a wee-lil monk boy?
I belive half-orc would be good but i hate that skin.. I thought of making an elf because elves can have a wierd Vegeta-like hairdo and i can name my char Vegeta . Or maybe i should choose human.. or dwarf? hmm..
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 04:17 PM   #2
AndyG
Elminster

Dwarf seems like a good option. Otherwise, I would go human. I pumped wisdom, like the game recommended, but I'm not sure how good this is. It gives you good saving throws against certain spells, and helps your AC, but I think pumping dexterity and constitution would be equally valuable. My guy topped out around 180 hps, and that's kind of low for a front line fighter. His AC was around 30, up to 35 if I swapped gear around. I never did get to level 20. When that full damage resistance kicked in, maybe I wouldn't care so much about extra hps and AC.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:09 PM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyG:
Dwarf seems like a good option. Otherwise, I would go human. I pumped wisdom, like the game recommended, but I'm not sure how good this is. It gives you good saving throws against certain spells, and helps your AC, but I think pumping dexterity and constitution would be equally valuable. My guy topped out around 180 hps, and that's kind of low for a front line fighter. His AC was around 30, up to 35 if I swapped gear around. I never did get to level 20. When that full damage resistance kicked in, maybe I wouldn't care so much about extra hps and AC.
Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] . Maybe there are some feats you can get access to if you have a high Wisdom?
Old 07-16-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
Exodus Entreri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dwarf probably is better than human for monks, how about a multi classed dwarf cleric/monk? would rock me thinks, if you multi class that is. I had a solo female monk in BG2 and she rocked, but with all the new rules id pick a female dwarf.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:41 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
Hi, i just thought of making a monk but it`s really difficult to choose the stats and race. When i press on "recommended", it buffs up Wisdom but what does it do to a wee-lil monk boy?
I belive half-orc would be good but i hate that skin.. I thought of making an elf because elves can have a wierd Vegeta-like hairdo and i can name my char Vegeta . Or maybe i should choose human.. or dwarf? hmm..
Half Orc is good for the extra strength (bonus to hit and damage in unarmed combat), and the lower intelligence and charisma don't hurt too much (unless you plan to persuade people a lot, in which case you need to put points in persuade).

Dwarf is good for the extra hit points (always useful), see above about the lower charisma.

Human is great, especially with the bonus skill points and extra feat. Humans are good for any class.

Elves are great for the extra dexterity (extra AC, plus if you get Weapon Finesse with your unarmed attack, you hit rolls jump a lot). The constitution hurts a little, but not too bad.

Half-Elves are really watered down in this game. Not really recommended for a monk (the bonuses aren't that great for a monk).

Halflings and Gnomes are definitely not recommended. You do less damage and move slower. You are a little harder to hit and get a little better attack roll, but you lose more than you gain.

Wisdom boosts your ac and will saves, but you get the same bonus from dexterity. However, it takes more points to move your stats above 14 when you first assign your stats, so get both up to 14 before moving them up further (gives best bonuses that way), then move up dexterity first (gives more bonuses, especially with Weapon Finesse on the unarmed attacks).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 07:58 AM   #6
uss
20th Level Warrior

Thanks again, guys [img]smile.gif[/img] ! I just love it how you get great replies in IW
I think ill do an elven monk with 20 Dex because thats total coolness !
Old 07-17-2002, 11:56 AM   #7
Madriver
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
Thanks again, guys [img]smile.gif[/img] ! I just love it how you get great replies in IW
I think ill do an elven monk with 20 Dex because thats total coolness !
I would go with wisdom over dex...it is always used for AC, even when surprised or flat-footed. Also, wisdom is used to calculate the DC for some of the special attacks, like stunning fist and the insta-death one, which makes them more effective.

I had a dwarven monk and he kicked some serious butt, stunning fist and then flurry of blows was my favorite fighting technique.

When you get items to up his dex later on don't forget to take weapon finesse (unarmed attack) as a feat...really helps with the attacks.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 02:24 AM   #8
Exodus Entreri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i tried it out myself, and i recommend an elf (not dwarf now lol) with 18 wisdom and 16 dex....very cool class, very hard to hit too