Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2003, 05:11 PM   #11
edin gal
Dungeon Master

raw fish yuk!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 05:16 PM   #12
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Much better fried in a nice beer/tempura batter with *cough* freedom *cough* fries, vinegar and tartare sauce

Just in case you doubt my expertise, I come from North-East Scotland where we used to have a fishing industry

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-14-2003, 10:40 PM   #13
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

heh
funny you should mention deep fried raw fish
i bought some spanish mackeral today for that express purpose
right now its marinating in a soy sauce, pickled ginger juice, and sake mixture
and will be coated in floar and deep fried come tommorow
trying a few other recipees i found at odd sites people showed me, for example that grilled mackeral one with the paste on yasuko's site.

how do you tell if a fish is good enough to be used for sushi? tuna theyll say whether or not it is sushi grade, but what about other fishes, none as i can tell ever are listed as being sushi grade or not.

Oh, and good news! at the fish market that i bought the mackeral at, they actually had sushi grade tuna! *does a little dance* glad my friend told me about the place yesterday.
i got a vacuum sealed and frozen package of the sushi tuna, which says it will expire in 2004 sometime...gota marval at the wonders of food preservation.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:58 AM   #14
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Unfortunately its not easy to know the good stuff unless you have the bad stuff to compare it to. And there are varing degrees of "bad" stuff. I learned a little bit in NY where a nice chef showed me some differences in texture and taste. Sometimes it was very minimal and sometimes it could change over your entire intestinal system!
Old 06-16-2003, 04:29 AM   #15
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielles blades:
heh

how do you tell if a fish is good enough to be used for sushi? tuna theyll say whether or not it is sushi grade, but what about other fishes, none as i can tell ever are listed as being sushi grade or not.

Oh, and good news! at the fish market that i bought the mackeral at, they actually had sushi grade tuna! *does a little dance* glad my friend told me about the place yesterday.
i got a vacuum sealed and frozen package of the sushi tuna, which says it will expire in 2004 sometime...gota marval at the wonders of food preservation.
To get the freshest raw fish it needs to be sashimi grade, not sushi grade.
Usually you need to go the fish seller first thing in the morning and get it filleted directly from the fish, so it hasn't been in a display cabinet all day, or worse, days.

All the books I have say you can't use fish that has been frozen for sushi, so I don't know what sort of result this vacuum sealed tuna would give. You could always try marinating it first ...

( Pangur's 500th post ... [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] )

[ 06-16-2003, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: Pangur Ban ]