Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 03:40 AM   #1
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi,

I am still playing W&W ( don't know why ,it doesn't make me feel like W8) so I couldn't resist to start a new party this weekend. Again on expert, this time without magic-users. They are lvl 10 now .

1: Mook Bard (to lvl 10) -> Fighter (Giant's Sword, lower instruments)
2: Fairie Gadgeteer (to lvl 10) -> Rogue (Staff of Doom, lower gadgets)
3: Dracon Rogue (Dual Stiletto, Bombs)
4: Felpurr Bard (Fang, Thieves Buckler)
5: Dwarf Fighter (Mauler, Diamond Eyes)
6: Human Gadgeteer (Omnigun and Gadgets only)

The Fairie and the Mook have nearly maxed music and engineering and the mook has Puck's Cap so I think they'll work well after I changed their profession. The biggest problem is the money now.
The other is locks and traps. I tried to open the chest near Barlone. It tripped immediatly and I stood " inside" an earth elemental lord. A 89 HP rogue was killed with one hit. Fortunatly I could escape with four dead characters.

So I ran to the Umpani and bought some Armorplate and Missile Shield Scrolls.
They are really neccessary now. Every stupid plant hits with its spikes and make my members poisoned. The next problem'll be magic protection. I have no scrolls and the Mandolin can only be reached through the mine tunnels. The first improvement was the sax, so I hope my members do not always go afraid or unconsious after a terror spell of a level 4 sige.

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:37 AM   #2
Target
Red Dragon

Sounds like an interesting party Loudhy, good luck with it. How are you finding W&W, I got it about a year ago, just couldn't get into it, guess I had Wiz8 on my mind.
Is the Giants sword really that good? I've never used them.
Hope your Fairie Gadgeteer won’t have any carrying problems…Good idea to use the fairie as a rogue, makes a nice change from the hobbit.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Howdy Loudhy,
Why so many in your party? I just can't do more then 3 now. And forget about expert or ironman. There's excatly "0" reward for high difficulty. Take 3 and play on normal. You'll lvl twice as fast and have far less to manage. If you do stick with what you have "don't change the Gadg." he's the only one that really improves throughout the whole game!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:44 AM   #4
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Target:
Sounds like an interesting party Loudhy, good luck with it. How are you finding W&W, I got it about a year ago, just couldn't get into it, guess I had Wiz8 on my mind.
Is the Giants sword really that good? I've never used them.
Hope your Fairie Gadgeteer won’t have any carrying problems…Good idea to use the fairie as a rogue, makes a nice change from the hobbit.
Giant's Sword :30% K.O, Sword +5, Earth +5, Mook only, but more important for me, it's extended ! I can put the fighter in the second row and fill his place with RFS-81 later.

No, my fairie learned throwing ( for canned elementals and bombs ).I forced three skills only: staff, throwing and engineering for the gadgets. ( And I never, never, never ...... had a hobbit in my parties ! )

About W&W : My motivation for this game is a little bit low. It seems, that I have "your problem", too [img]smile.gif[/img] . Strange, that W8 is still so strong. BTW (a little bit of topic) : What's about W7 ?

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:49 AM   #5
Target
Red Dragon

I am looking forward to starting W7, but like you I want to finish my current W8 game first, the only problem is I am moving house to a different part of the country so I have taken my computer apart and can't play now!! So not been able to do anything for about a month now, won't get it up and running until September, (Hope I won't forget how to play by then ;D)And then I hope my fiancée won’t mind me sitting playing
I have a mook as my Ranger at the mo, got a whip in other….er….paw?? for Vamp. Chain, might think about the giant sword but would have to start from scratch in the skill front.
I know what you mean about the hobbit!!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

I disagree that Bards and Gads aren't magic users. Maybe they're not casters, but you do not have a non-magic party there.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Music has always been a magic analog, using stamina instead of manna. Not quite the same as a caster IMO, more like using special weapons with no charge limit but stamina drain.

Giant sword was quite impressive in my last game. Make sure the user has tons of strength and stamina.

W&W is a great game, have finished it 2x but Target is right. It does not feel the same (and has some serious bugs requiring a patch). You don't quite feel you are there. The interface and req to visit cities for leveling are annoying. But it is rewarding in its own way. I'd say stick with it. I would have replayed it more but got spoiled on Wiz 8.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I wish somewone would take W&W and do some adjustments to the engine. The game good but the controls sucked big time!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:52 AM   #9
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Giant's Sword wielder should have some Speed/Senses, too, to counter the Initiative malus on the weapon. Samurai's Sword bonus makes it very fun...Fighter does nicely with the Close Bonus, but Berserking it really requires a LOT of Stamina.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

On reflextion, I think I put a finger on why I didn't like W&W as much (beyond the awkward and annoying controls). You can't really savor the game. No pause. When you look at your stats you can still be attacked anywhere. It's odd how such a small judgment call on gameplay design can make such a big difference in satisfaction (at least to me). Wiz 8 did so many things right. I do like the graphics and puzzling better in W&W tho.