Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What computer game genres do you play?
RPG 33 97.06%
RTS(Real Time Strategy) 1 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2002, 09:34 AM   #11
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:

Just direct any "Hate" votes to Diablo 2 from now on, it deserves it.
I knew you had ulterior motives! [img]tongue.gif[/img] You should've just made a poll with one question. "Do you hate Diablo 2." Then you should've only put one option. "Yes." I still don't understand why you like Diablo 1, and hate Diablo 2. There were so many improvements! And how could you forget fighting???

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
Redblueflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 10:17 AM   #12
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
I knew you had ulterior motives! [img]tongue.gif[/img] You should've just made a poll with one question. "Do you hate Diablo 2." Then you should've only put one option. "Yes." I still don't understand why you like Diablo 1, and hate Diablo 2. There were so many improvements! And how could you forget fighting???
Okay, non-improvement #1: Unless you finish an act in one go you're going to have to slaughter a lot of the same monsters AGAIN.

Non-improvement #2: Lack of "Dungeon-ish" feel, in D1 I really felt like I was in a dungeon, I was hacking my way through hordes of hellish creatures in the depths of a ruined cathedral. D2 just lacked a lot of that.

Non-improvement #3: Less replayability, when you replayed D1 it at least varied the look of the dungeons and what quests you got, in D2 it's almost completely the same no matter how many times you replay it.

Non-improvement #4: After playing D2 you cannot play D1 again because you miss being able to run.

---------------------

Improvement #1: More classes.

Improvement #2: Bigger game.

Improvement #3: Better graphics.

---------------------

In my opinion the Improvements don't quite make up for the Non-Improvements.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 01:08 PM   #13
Redblueflare
Galvatron

More classes? I thinks that's a fairly large improvement. In Diablo 1 there was essentially one class with the stats distributed in different ways. Everyone could learn the same exact skills, only the sorceror would probably learn them sooner.

The *special skill for each class just about useless. Oh I repaired my weapon or staff, and lost half the charges or durability. Or look out for that trap! Yay....

Ahem, the map in Diablo 2 changes too you know. But just not in the same game. In multiplay the map changes dramatically. True it doesn't change on single player though. To be honest I thought both of these games were boring as hell single player. Oh and the map *does* change when you replay it in single player.

Oh and I forgot. Didn't you hate how someone could just kill you in Diablo and take all your stuff? Yup, that sucked didn't it? That annoying feature has been taking out in Diablo 2. You only *pop* when you put on something else, and try to get your original body back. Exiting the game returns your body to town.

I don't understand how this game had less of a dungeon-ish feel though. Walking through the monastary, catacombs, or just about any other place in the game made me feel like I was in a dungeon. I suppose that's just my opinion.

I guess the old thing is just a matter of opinion. You hate the game I like it. I hated Diablo 1, you liked it. Enough said.

RedBlueFlare

[ 03-27-2002, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Redblueflare ]
Old 03-27-2002, 01:24 PM   #14
Neb

About the loss of equipment, in D2 that means that people can be killed almost completely without any loss, in D1 it meant that death was a VERY bad thing.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:46 PM   #15
Lavindathar
Harper

I had to say I hated D2, even though I never played!
Old 03-27-2002, 01:46 PM   #16
Redblueflare
Galvatron

That's not a good argument. If any character other than the main one gets killed in BG you suffer no penalty whatsoever. Besides how many times have you been hostiled by a person who wants to kill you for the sake of killing you? In Diablo 2 I would've lost all my equipment at least a hundred times, just by being pked. Sorry but a 29 assasin can't take on a 78 barb.

RedBlueFlare

[ 03-27-2002, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Redblueflare ]
Old 03-27-2002, 01:56 PM   #17
Neb

Then perhaps a level 29 Assasin should keep her distance and only join games with people nearer her level. Last I made a D2 game on B.Net you could set level limits for games.

And there SHOULD be some risk when you die, at the moment all that happens is that you're inconvenienced a bit as you have to go fetch your corpse.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:04 PM   #18
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Thank you for your assistance lavithandar! [img]tongue.gif[/img] True you can set level limits. Most of the time I just go and get my higher level character and whoop up on any crazies.

You do suffer a penalty when you die though. It's small but it does add up when you die over and over again trying to retrieve your corpse. You lose a little bit of gold, and a fairly large chunk of exp. The gold is gone forever but is practially useless anyhow. The loss of exp can be devastating at higher levels though. Darn it I lost 3 million exp! That's like 12 cow runs!

RedBlueFlare
Old 04-05-2002, 03:26 AM   #19
WZ
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Erm D2 is great, but not on Bnet. Too many hacks & PKs, too many players who run through the game by having a godlike character killing everything for them (where's the fun???? apart if you wanna play PvP). And in Hardcore mode of course (when you die... Game Over). A great game to play on a VERY long LAN with a few friends. But on Bnet 80% of the players are dumb.

[ 04-05-2002, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: WZ ]
Old 04-05-2002, 03:35 AM   #20
WZ
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
I had to say I hated D2, even though I never played!
Well judging something you haven't tried isn't especially smart... I never understood the childish BG2/D2 war. Both of them are good. And Torment rules