Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
Sigmar
Unicorn

How influential do you consider contemporary music to be? Do you believe its responsible for a number of problems within our societies?

Examples of what I mean are that some contribute the growing levels of firearm distribution and usage to rap music. Others who have been responsible for crimes such as rape and theft have stated in the past that they thought it was acceptable to do what they did because of what a number of songs lyrics that he heard.

Do you think its fair to blame the music industry for the problems within society? Or do you believe it is the choice of each individual, maybe both I don't know.

Personally I disagree with the belief that music can shape and change a person's personality to such extents. I accept that it can alter their beliefs and their perceptions of their lives but not to such an extreme extempt (I like rap and rock music, artists and bands from both of the genres frequently have controversial topics includewd within their lyrics, but I think of it as the way the artist/band chooses to express their opinion on the subject matter. Like D12 for example, who claim they just want to tell life like it is).

I'd appriciate any input.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #2
Kaltia
Jack Burton

A brief glance through my local newspaper would reveal it to be very influential-
Quote:
Kid rapes girl to rap star's lyrics
Quote:
Vandals graffitii rap lyrics on wall of library
Quote:
Kid shot with air gun because of pop star
However I can see it on a personal level, on the school MSN notice board. A boy was bitching about asylum seekers and started quoting Eminem to justify it.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Music and art at once both reflect and yet shape society.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 04-10-2003, 02:48 PM   #4
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
A brief glance through my local newspaper would reveal it to be very influential-
Quote:
Kid rapes girl to rap star's lyrics
Quote:
Vandals graffitii rap lyrics on wall of library
Quote:
Kid shot with air gun because of pop star
However I can see it on a personal level, on the school MSN notice board. A boy was bitching about asylum seekers and started quoting Eminem to justify it.
[/QUOTE]Yeah I can accept that stuff like that. But don't you think that they could just be using music as a scapegoat? Something to fall back on in case they get punished as a result of their actions.

I find it a bit far-fetched to believe that a kid decided to rape a girl because for example Redman described it in one of his songs.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Actually, the newspaper reported that he did it whilst listening to DMX, which IMO is fairly pathetic. I'm not sure whether to believe my local newspaper though because there is so little in there that they fill pages with rants.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:18 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

yes, I do believe that song influence people. There is one chinese song, the lyric is very very " salty ". and one serial rapist that was caught says the song influence him.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #7
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Songs influence moods, whether it make you happy, wistful, depressed, angry, the whole specturm of emotion can be conveyed through song- IMO, better than through any lf the other artistic media.

However, there is a difference between a mood brought on by music and actions as a result of circumstance and mentality.

A person who is weak willed enough to have a song "make" them kill someone are the wrong type of person to be out in society, let alone listening to influential music.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

That's all a load of crap and people know it. You cannot blame shooting somebody or stabbing and so forth on music like rap or something. If you were caught shooting someone, rap music is just an excuse to do it with, the only reason that person shot another is because they either wanted to or were mislead which can be rectafied by their parents.

That's almost like saying that kids (which I've seen on court t.v.) were influenced by video games like Doom or an RPG like AD&D. I think that is just an excuse to get out of it and that the game has nothing to do with it. I'm just saying don't blame your actions on something else like these people have considering that most of them were crazy to begin with. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 04-10-2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 04-10-2003, 07:49 PM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Rumuors has it that if you played a song backward you may hear satan voice himself. I don't know whether this is true or not. I don't know how to play a song backward.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:06 PM   #10
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I think you're talking about songs on a record Kakero